Other matches Fred - 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably focused too much on the Brighton-Burnley game hoping that we could get a manager that plays like Potter, knowing there is basically zero chance that Levy would get him but what was truly depressing was that both those teams were way more threatening for the whole 2nd half in a 1-1 game than we were down 1-0 versus Chelsea.

Pretty sad that Burnley shows more attacking flair than us and two teams near relegation are more willing to risk points in a draw than we are down 1.

Ward Prowse ceiling is higher than the saints imo

That is debatable but lets say it is how much higher?

Obviously he could start for us over Sissoko but if we had a proper manager and were run correctly is it likely he gets into our squad?

If we brought in someone like the rumoured Sabitzer would you have JWP over him? I don't think so. Then with GLC, Skipp I would have him behind those two or at least on par with Skipp.

He has spent his whole career their from the youth levels, and I think is from there, that is why I think he will stay, probably more than others.

He may have a higher ceiling but I think for both him and the club Southampton is a perfect fit even moreso than for bigger clubs.

Hard to imagine that the bottom 3 aren't relegated at this point.

Dyche will be able to get the needed points to stay up even if it is ugly to watch and they don't do much. Brighton seem to be safe based on points and their quality.

I would have said Newcastle was the biggest risk just because they have Bruce and seem willing and able to go out and lose any game they have but even they may already have enough points not to throw it away.

Hard to imagine that the bottom 3 aren't relegated at this point.

Dyche will be able to get the needed points to stay up even if it is ugly to watch and they don't do much. Brighton seem to be safe based on points and their quality.

I would have said Newcastle was the biggest risk just because they have Bruce and seem willing and able to go out and lose any game they have but even they may already have enough points not to throw it away.
I saw Newcastle's games against Leeds and Everton, and I thought there were promising signs for them. More intensity without the ball. More interest in playing football. I am not sure when the new coach joined, but it does not seem to have hurt. Leave Bruce in charge of the hugs, cos that's all he is good for.

How do you rate Brighton's intensity without the ball? I don't watch them religiously.

I saw Newcastle's games against Leeds and Everton, and I thought there were promising signs for them. More intensity without the ball. More interest in playing football. I am not sure when the new coach joined, but it does not seem to have hurt. Leave Bruce in charge of the hugs, cos that's all he is good for.

How do you rate Brighton's intensity without the ball? I don't watch them religiously.

Their intensity without the ball is fine, it is their intelligence, for lack of a better word, that was the issue in the past both on and off the ball for me. They seem to be a little too much in a hurry at times which puts them out of position without the ball and leads to unnecessary turnovers with it.

It reminded a bit of teams that want to press but are bad at, so the idea is good but if you are not doing it in a coordinated fashion it just leads to a bunch of holes behind which makes the press easy to by pass. That was my sense of watching Brighton off the ball the idea was good, the effort was good but the overall structure let them down.

I have only started paying more attention to them lately because I was not a big Potter fan, so I could have a poor read on them. I think Craven is a much bigger Potter guy so he probably knows more than I do.

Blimey!

Am I imagining things? The way he's commentated this game is as though Woolwwhich have been brilliant. (Or isn't my own bias against these scum?)
I have only seen the first 75 mins, but I think there are plenty of green shoots for Woolwich. They are good at pressing and counter-pressing, and they are very good at playing through a press. Where they seem to be falling down is in that final third, where they are missing some teeth. Plenty of good situations for them today, but the final ball's been poor.

Their intensity without the ball is fine, it is their intelligence, for lack of a better word, that was the issue in the past both on and off the ball for me. They seem to be a little too much in a hurry at times which puts them out of position without the ball and leads to unnecessary turnovers with it.

It reminded a bit of teams that want to press but are bad at, so the idea is good but if you are not doing it in a coordinated fashion it just leads to a bunch of holes behind which makes the press easy to by pass. That was my sense of watching Brighton off the ball the idea was good, the effort was good but the overall structure let them down.

I have only started paying more attention to them lately because I was not a big Potter fan, so I could have a poor read on them. I think Craven is a much bigger Potter guy so he probably knows more than I do.
Well, it hasn't hurt them that they got Ben White out of midfield and into the back line, cos a midfield two of Bissouma and White was a very tough watch for me.

In the situation you are describing, I suppose it is hard to say if that's a coaching issue or the players are lacking that little bit of tactical intelligence. Or both?

Well, it hasn't hurt them that they got Ben White out of midfield and into the back line, cos a midfield two of Bissouma and White was a very tough watch for me.

In the situation you are describing, I suppose it is hard to say if that's a coaching issue or the players are lacking that little bit of tactical intelligence. Or both?

I know both is the very boring answer, to almost all these types of questions, but I do think it is both.

I think Potter has taken some time to adjust to the PL, which is understandable. I am far from a Swedish League expert but I am sure his team there could get away with things they can't here, same with the Championship. Now he needed to learn how to get his team to play the style he wanted going forward but also realizing that they needed more structure defensively.

I know both is the very boring answer, to almost all these types of questions, but I do think it is both.

I think Potter has taken some time to adjust to the PL, which is understandable. I am far from a Swedish League expert but I am sure his team there could get away with things they can't here, same with the Championship. Now he needed to learn how to get his team to play the style he wanted going forward but also realizing that they needed more structure defensively.
Well, what do you think is the case at Leicester? On the one hand, I think players like Maddison, for example, doesn't have a head for all that complicated stuff without the ball. And on the other hand, I wonder if some of that flakiness is coming from Rodgers.

Well, what do you think is the case at Leicester? On the one hand, I think players like Maddison, for example, doesn't have a head for all that complicated stuff without the ball. And on the other hand, I wonder if some of that flakiness is coming from Rodgers.

I am probably the wrong person to ask about Leicester because I hate Brenton and will admit that my bias likely gets in the way when assessing them, and any team he manages.

For me any issues they have are 100% due to him!

Why do you hate him?

Hate is probably the wrong word I just think he is a complete fool and don't want him anywhere near our team.

From watching him in the Being Liverpool documentary where he came off as the biggest fool ever but thought he was the smartest guy in the room is where it started. Watching his team constantly make tactically naive mistakes fits in with that view I have of him as well.

The media overrating of him doesn't really improve my feelings on him either.

I would also say that Celtic and Liverpool are likely two of my most despised teams in all sports so that doesn't exactly make him any more likable either.

Back
Top Bottom