Other matches Fred - 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No, but id have expected him to get more than 13 goals a season more than once in his career so far. Considering he plays pretty much every week and hasn't had any significant injuries.

Before last season he was being outscored by a midfielder in Dele Alli.
Dele Alli wasn’t really a midfielder though. Let’s stop the nonsense

I was referencing Mourinho stalling Rashford’s development. Which he did.

(Soz... Didn't come across that way, but no worries....)

How?

.....Jose gave Rashford a run at being a CF; MR concluded he preferred being a wideman.

.....Jose backed him ahead of more certain more experienced and/or expensive players.

He was a kid then.... He'll have dips. So there were a sprinkling of games where he wasn't played... Big deal; a) why burn him out and b) Jose had games to win and targets to reach (yet look at the shit that was thrown his way - and still is - despite being their most successful post-Fergie manager).....

Difficult to say how much substance there was on that transfer. My pure feeling is that we made a genuine effort, but too late

I think he is a great player, but I agree with you, I don't think he would have made enough difference.

Though we may have been up against the clock; extreme cost (70m + crazy wages + image rights clusterfuck) vs player being ambivalent was seemingly the deciding factor.

No, but id have expected him to get more than 13 goals a season more than once in his career so far. Considering he plays pretty much every week and hasn't had any significant injuries.

Before last season he was being outscored by a midfielder in Dele Alli.

Still... 4 x 13 is still some distance from 4 x 25 considering you're talking about a 18 > 22 development curve.

Injury: He had pretty much the same length of time out as Kane did last year when he screwed his back up.

(Soz... Didn't come across that way, but no worries....)

How?

.....Jose gave Rashford a run at being a CF; MR concluded he preferred being a wideman.

.....Jose backed him ahead of more certain more experienced and/or expensive players.

He was a kid then.... He'll have dips. So there were a sprinkling of games where he wasn't played... Big deal; a) why burn him out and b) Jose had games to win and targets to reach (yet look at the shit that was thrown his way - and still is - despite being their most successful post-Fergie manager).....
Errr when Jose came in he straight away bought Zlatan. Then he bought Lukaku for year 2. Then he used him as an orthodox winger instead of the inside forward he is; you’re clever enough to know the difference, just look at how Son was used in the 4-2-3-1 compared to the current 4-3-3

Still... 4 x 13 is still some distance from 4 x 25 considering you're talking about a 18 > 22 development curve.

Injury: He had pretty much the same length of time out as Kane did last year when he screwed his back up.

But he got 22 goals last year.

What injuries did he get in 16/17, 17/18 and 18/19 when he couldn't even get more than 13 goals in all comps!?

Shocking return.

But its not surprising. Rashford isn't a great striker and never will be, in my view. He's a decent goalscorer and has blistering pace. That alone will see him get goals but it shows how far Utd have fallen.

Top bloke though.

But he's not more of a striker than Marcus Rashford.
he was used just as much as a forward though. How many players played ahead of Rashford under Jose? almost always at least one. Same with Dele at Spurs. Oh, and Jose also brought in Alexis which further pushed him down the order.

I know because things are looking up for us currently there's this need to justify everything he did at Man Utd - but he was quite poor in how he handled things there and he's currently doing better here. Nothing more, nothing less.

What injuries did he get in 16/17, 17/18 and 18/19 when he couldn't even get more than 13 goals in all comps!?

Shocking return.

But its not surprising. Rashford isn't a great striker and never will be, in my view. He's a decent goalscorer and has blistering pace. That alone will see him get goals but it shows how far Utd have fallen.

Top bloke though.
But you're making out like he played CF full time which he didn't . He's an inside forward not a striker. Even Solskjaer has recognised this and used Martial as the 9.

he was used just as much as a forward though. How many players played ahead of Rashford under Jose? almost always at least one. Same with Dele at Spurs. Oh, and Jose also brought in Alexis which further pushed him down the order.

I know because things are looking up for us currently there's this need to justify everything he did at Man Utd - but he was quite poor in how he handled things there and he's currently doing better here. Nothing more, nothing less.

I always assumed he just wanted players who were proven to be alot better than Rashford.

Ibrahimovic was better than Rashford. Lukaku was better than Rashford. Sanchez WAS better than Rashford (though obviously not at Utd).

Still to this day Rashford has never had a better Utd season than Lukaku and Ibrahimovic managed. (and probably never will) and he'll probably never have a better season than Sanchezs last full season before joining Utd.

I always assumed he just wanted players who were proven to be alot better than Rashford.

Ibrahimovic was better than Rashford. Lukaku was better than Rashford. Sanchez WAS better than Rashford (though obviously not at Utd).

Still to this day Rashford has never had a better Utd season than Lukaku and Ibrahimovic managed. (and probably never will) and he'll probably never have a better season than Sanchezs last full season before joining Utd.
He's just turning 23. still time, and he's clearly getting better.

Last season he beat Lukaku's best league total with Man Utd - he's scored 29 in his last 53 overall! That stands up to Lukaku's 16-17 season (27 in 51)

Ibra I won't argue with, he'sl Ibra (player of the month at 35!) , but Alexis' record really means nothing when you flop as bad as he did.

And even then Martial performed better than Rashford ever did...
Not really IMO, they were about as good as each other. I prefer Rashford because his motor is switched on a lot more than Martial's is though Martial has more overall quality.

Similar goal records as well. (though yes Rashford does take pens, but Martial is the striker)

Errr when Jose came in he straight away bought Zlatan. Then he bought Lukaku for year 2. Then he used him as an orthodox winger instead of the inside forward he is; you’re clever enough to know the difference, just look at how Son was used in the 4-2-3-1 compared to the current 4-3-3

Both CFs.... But like I say he still gave him a punt at CF (cant' recall the cause.... Were his CFs not firing at the time?).

Similarly, as we now with Sonny, Jose wants to make sure you're gonna pull your weight defensively speaking... As a raw attacking player that hadn't proved himself defensively viable nor an established track record as a goal-scorer, do you think Jose ought to have deployed a 433 solely to 'pander' to MRs development?

(Rhetorical: Perhaps he's now more well rounded because of the way Jose coached him early doors..... Pretty hard to measure IMO.)

Let's flip the scenario; does OGS's preferred system mean that he has developed the player better or merely that the system suits him better (but notably still hasn't been entirely consistent during Ole's tenure).

In all honesty, I don't think there's enough tangibly at play to go as far as saying pointing a finger at Jose's handling of MR..... Kid's only 22... Like my exchange with Totti Totti , I'm not sure how much people ought to have expected from him at 18/19 y/o...... He's not a Messi-like raw talent.

Shocking return.

Top bloke though.

P:222
G: 74
A: 41

Goal involvement every 1.9 appearances.

He's played as a winger or wide-fwd most of his senior career and is still only 22.....

You're being silly.

That Peter bloke they go to in the studio to basically agree with every refereeing decision is a vile little sycophant isn't he?

You can just imagine him in Jerusalem, AD 33...

Commentator: So, a controversial verdict from Pontius Pilate there. Peter Bloke in the studio, did he get it right?
Peter Bloke: It's close but there is evidence of blasphemy, so yes, crucifixion of the Son of God is the correct call
Peter Walton has the best job in the world.

He just agrees with every decision that the ref makes.

Dressed like he was, the Leipzig manager deserved the thrashing he got.

Asked by Sky Deutschland, “So your outfit won’t be going in your wardrobe as a lucky jacket...”, Nagelsmann quickly interrupted: “Don’t talk so much about my clothes. I wear what I like. I’m a football coach, not a model.”

The problem is it was Nagelsmann who was happy to talk up the outfit that he had planned for the game, having developed a reputation for his extravagant matchday attire.

“I have a special one for Wednesday as well,” Nagelsmann said in the days leading up to the match.

It seems after a humiliating defeat, it is no longer a laughing matter.

Fuck Pepsi FC. :avbfu:

He's just turning 23. still time, and he's clearly getting better.

Last season he beat Lukaku's best league total with Man Utd - he's scored 29 in his last 53 overall! That stands up to Lukaku's 16-17 season (27 in 51)

Ibra I won't argue with, he'sl Ibra (player of the month at 35!) , but Alexis' record really means nothing when you flop as bad as he did.

I don't think I've seen any improvement in Rashford's game from 2 years ago to now to really think he could be any better.

Like I said. Decent player. Great pace. Not particularly intelligent and not a great finisher. Just plays in a team that's better than 14 of the 20 in the league and will always get chances.

Back
Top Bottom