Other Team Transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Guaranteed that if we'd been negotiating for Aarons and then gone and signed a right back from Greece for half the price the club would've been getting pelters from all angles.

Like how it was an outrage that we didn't sign anyone one summer, but barely an eyebrow raised when Liverpool did the same.
I mean, finishing one point behind City and winning the Champions League probably leaves one a little more optimistic about the strength of the squad going forward.

Fast forward to the end of the season and they've walked the league. Our season following no signings ending in slumping results (CL run aside) and a season-long hangover that involved sacking our manager.

So yeah, proof of the pudding and all that...

The two situations aren't identical I'll give you that, but I don't think it's an unfair comparison, mainly in terms of fan reactions. Liverpool are here being praised for swiftly moving targets and getting a signing done, whereas the spin on it if we'd done the same would be tight fisted chairman not backing the manager.

Don't get me wrong, I find our transfer sagas frustrating as fuck, but it's only with hindsight that we can look back and say Liverpool have done good business, it could all have ended up very Spursy.

You think that Liverpool refusing to overpay a back-up LB and then signing a player that is arguably better for less is the same as people complaining about Levy not signing anyone for obvious holes in the starting line-up?

The comparable situation to this would be Spurs focusing on Max Aarons but refusing to meet the 20 million asking fee and then signing Castagne for 15 million instead. And even that is not an apt comparison because that is dealing with starters.

I doubt many people would have a single issue with the team if they refused to overpay for someone and ended up with a similar player, who may even be better, instead.

The problem many fans have is that with Spurs what likely happens is that Levy doesn't make the Lewis deal, then argues with Olympiakos trying to get the 15 million down to 12 and then we end up with nobody.

As for Liverpool not signing anyone in one transfer window when they had a young team set with youth coming up and having won the CL and finished second being compared to Spurs who had many obvious holes, an aging line-up that had won shit, it is a hell of a lot more than "aren't identical" they are vastly different.

You think that Liverpool refusing to overpay a back-up LB and then signing a player that is arguably better for less is the same as people complaining about Levy not signing anyone for obvious holes in the starting line-up?

The comparable situation to this would be Spurs focusing on Max Aarons but refusing to meet the 20 million asking fee and then signing Castagne for 15 million instead. And even that is not an apt comparison because that is dealing with starters.

I doubt many people would have a single issue with the team if they refused to overpay for someone and ended up with a similar player, who may even be better, instead.

The problem many fans have is that with Spurs what likely happens is that Levy doesn't make the Lewis deal, then argues with Olympiakos trying to get the 15 million down to 12 and then we end up with nobody.

As for Liverpool not signing anyone in one transfer window when they had a young team set with youth coming up and having won the CL and finished second being compared to Spurs who had many obvious holes, an aging line-up that had won shit, it is a hell of a lot more than "aren't identical" they are vastly different.
Like I said, it's easy to praise Liverpool with the hindsight of knowing they did fine, there was no guarantee from beating a shite Spurs in the CL, or however close they were to City in the league, that they would go on and improve.

And the Lewis deal shows that they have a budget, and will not push the boat out beyond that, it's only a measly £7m after all, not backing the manager etc. You can believe that Spurs favs would accept it if you wish, but I don't, there'd be uproar, we still have people whingeing about the club being tight fisted even after we spent £120m last summer and then another £25m in January.

Fuck sake those are some depressing headlines. Thanks
PEA can rinse Woolwich for as much in wages as he likes, they're shit and keeping him does nothing but maintain their current level of mediocrity, Liverpool couldn't stump up the £45m for Werner, if they now want to spunk £40m on a Sarr I'm not going to lose sleep, they won't sign Thiago, and with Sancho staying at Dortmund their headline re Depay is even more irrelevant to us than it was anyway.

Back
Top Bottom