Our away support

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What is going on?

Been the case for ages that our home support needed the team to lift the fans, but never the case with our away support. Especially for games when you pretty much knew we'd lose. I can remember there being a great atmosphere in the concourse (at HT) when we lost 6-0 to City under AVB. And loads of games at Old Trafford over the years when we sang our hearts out despite the annual defeat.

But for the second time this season (the other being Woolwich) our support was very poor yesterday.

I don't know if it's the problem getting tickets for some people who would have used to been there, or just that many fans have become too entitled by recent success and just become demoralised if we are not competing on the pitch. But it's really fucking shit and we need to sort it.

Last edited:
I have a theory, but it is only that.

The club have always reserved a portion of our away allocation for corporates. That used to be equivalent to the proportion of corporates at WHL. They've already confirmed that this would rise since there will be more corporates at NWHL, and I'm guessing they've made that move this season without telling anyone. This lot will only be interested in the big games, but will absolutely kill an atmosphere stone cold dead.

That's surprising, I thought our away support was really vocal at man city. Even at two down you could us still singing?

I was sat in with the home supporters at old Trafford and our support up there was something else, sat with a big grin on my face!!!

It's a weird away end at City with the fans being spread over 3 tiers, maybe some parts were better (or maybe you just can't get an accurate idea of it from TV). Where I was- lower tier right next to City fans- few people were singing. We were outsung which rarely happens at away games.

I agree at Old Trafford we were good.

It's a weird away end at City with the fans being spread over 3 tiers, maybe some parts were better (or maybe you just can't get an accurate idea of it from TV). Where I was- lower tier right next to City fans- few people were singing. We were outsung which rarely happens at away games.

I agree at Old Trafford we were good.
I haven't been since it went 3 tiers but it was always difficult to get the two tiers in sync, I've stood in both over the past few years and no matter what their you are in it's hard to pick up what the other is doing. The old top tier was the "posher" tickets and would be less loud as more non-singers in that demographic. I guessing that the new three tier one keeps the "posh" tickets in the middle and the upper and lower is more "normal"??

I think this is deliberate by City, the band of away support is narrow, now even narrower than since it's gone to three.

But as the others have said, it came over really loud on the telly, can't recall hearing City at all until they scored.

I haven't been since it went 3 tiers but it was always difficult to get the two tiers in sync, I've stood in both over the past few years and no matter what their you are in it's hard to pick up what the other is doing. The old top tier was the "posher" tickets and would be less loud as more non-singers in that demographic. I guessing that the new three tier one keeps the "posh" tickets in the middle and the upper and lower is more "normal"??

I think this is deliberate by City, the band of away support is narrow, now even narrower than since it's gone to three.

But as the others have said, it came over really loud on the telly, can't recall hearing City at all until they scored.
They did score in the 14th minute though.

I don't want to rubbish our own support, as we discussed regarding Wembley, you often can only hear the people around you if the stadium acoustics are shit. Definitely wasn't posh where I was, you're probably right about the middle tier. Lots of verbals between us and City (was right on the dividing line), a couple of people thrown out, so...good support in that sense, but just not many joining in the singing, I could mostly hear them.

Perhaps it was just where I was on Saturday (interested to hear from others who were there e.g. Blanchflower Blanchflower ?), but our away support was poor at Woolwich, and is not what it was, generally speaking, a few years ago (possibly true of all PL teams).

Hopefully midweek at Swansea will be good. That’s my next one. Never going to bother with Woolwich again. Awful ground, awful effort from us, just dull dull dull.

I don't want to rubbish our own support, as we discussed regarding Wembley, you often can only hear the people around you if the stadium acoustics are shit. Definitely wasn't posh where I was, you're probably right about the middle tier. Lots of verbals between us and City (was right on the dividing line), a couple of people thrown out, so...good support in that sense, but just not many joining in the singing, I could mostly hear them.

Perhaps it was just where I was on Saturday (interested to hear from others who were there e.g. Blanchflower Blanchflower ?), but our away support was poor at Woolwich, and is not what it was, generally speaking, a few years ago (possibly true of all PL teams).
On the TV there were lots of empty seats in their end/corner, to the right of our fans, this was usually where their main support are, any ideas why this was?

Our Woolwich away support is always shit, unless we are leading. Without any doubt this is due to "premium" ticket allocation taken to the max allocation (whatever that is). Unable to secure a ticket for this fixture in the past I have bought a "breakfast at the lane special" cost a fucking fortune but only way I could secure a ticket, ends up being about £25-£30 more than off a tout on match day, which is how I tried to justify doing it.

On the TV there were lots of empty seats in their end/corner, to the right of our fans, this was usually where their main support are, any ideas why this was?

Our Woolwich away support is always shit, unless we are leading. Without any doubt this is due to "premium" ticket allocation taken to the max allocation (whatever that is). Unable to secure a ticket for this fixture in the past I have bought a "breakfast at the lane special" cost a fucking fortune but only way I could secure a ticket, ends up being about £25-£30 more than off a tout on match day, which is how I tried to justify doing it.
Re: their support, not sure, probably just because they are a small club with money.

I think it's more to do with the opposition and their fans than us. It's the same atmosphere at city, Utd, scum and Chelsea now - their fans are so entitled that ours care more about them losing than us winning. We are also good enough to be on their radar as a team to hate - previously I think we were perceived as a plucky underdog that it was okay to like a bit. Being in the pubs before the game on Saturday I'm not sure the KO time helped us....our fans 'went' a bit too early.

I also don't what it is with the way the tickets are allocated but I'm always in the cunts position right next to the home fans - it happens too much to be pure coincidence.

I think any link to any of this being about an increased amount of tickets being given to box holders is a load of bollocks. I see the stand full of working class men in their 40's to 60's at every big game, these guys don't have mega money.

This isn't a THFC problem, it's the same at all big clubs. There are a number of reasons the atmosphere at prem games is significantly worse than clubs in Europe. To be honest, it frustrates the hell out of me. On another site there was a poster moaning about people standing up. How the hell are we going to get an atmosphere when dicks like that attend games.
1) Pricing. The stadium is starting to fill up with middle class families
2) All seater stadiums. Fortunately this doesn't happen in the South stand
3) Political correctness has prevented us singing half our songs. Say or sing anything slightly derogatory, and your tugged
4) There is an unwritten belief that the players have to pick up the fans, whereas it works the other way around on the continent

When you guys are back in town would love to hear some of the stories from last night in the ground. Win or lose in the final, there was something special about last night.

Share every bit of detail please!

When you guys are back in town would love to hear some of the stories from last night in the ground. Win or lose in the final, there was something special about last night.

Share every bit of detail please!

Didn't go yesterday, but am aware of the more than hospital facilities in Amsterdam. Went to Barca in December, and am doing the final

Back
Top Bottom