Our January business: a positive spin

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
Ins: Lewis Holtby [reported £1.5m from Schalke], Zeki Fryers [£3m from Standard Liege] Outs: Jermaine Jenas [undisclosed to QPR], Andros Townsend [loan to QPR], Tomislav Gomelt [loan to Espanyol], Simon Dawkins [loan to Villa], Ryan Mason [loan to Lorient], Alex Pritchard [loan to Peterborough], Heurelho Gomes [loan to Hoffenheim], Yago Falque [loan to Almeria] A sense of déjà vu would have surrounded all Spurs fans during yesterday’s transfer deadline day. The usual Twitter hoaxers were out to make a name [...]

Continue reading...

Twitter was like a creche last night there were that many dummies being spat out. Some people were being really pathetic. It's as if just because there is a January window we have to buy people, it never used to be like this before the annual windows.

It never used to be like this until we got CL - a lot of bozos were subsequntly 'attracted' and expectations became unrealistic to say the least

It never used to be like this until we got CL - a lot of bozos were subsequntly 'attracted' and expectations became unrealistic to say the least

I'm always a bit stroppy when we lose, I had a right paddy when we lost in the 2002 cup final, but going into meltdown on twitter because we didn't spunk all our money in the January transfer window is like throwing yourself onto the floor in toys r us because Mummy won't buy you a new Action Figure.
There was some serious Piers Morganesque behaviour going on last night.

I'm 2 hours ahead so it meant staying up past 1:00am listening to trolls and general wummery in the chat room. No, thanks

Its funny because some fans see the January window as a petrol station that will fuel us to 4th place come May. Tottenham Hotspur is not a car, we have a squad of 25 players, we have a good starting 11 that is good enough to win 9 of the next 14 games.

And people forget we DID strengthen our squad in a position where there has been a massive gaping Rafa shaped hole all season.

Holtby will make a hell of a difference IMO.

Went to bed early last night as well so I missed any negative spin. At the start of the window my only expectation was Cudicini out (which wasn't actually mentioned in the article and shows how much other activity went on). Holtby was the most pleasant surprise.

The only thing that is a bit strange is Townsend's loan move, and the author touched on it. If he is on the bench at QPR I'd rather we could have him as back-up for Lennon/Bale instead but hopefully he plays and gets some Premier League experience (and perhaps there is a clause). Nevertheless, obviously AVB feels Dempsey and Siggy are adequate cover for the wings, especially if Holtby takes that CAM position off them.

The chairman and management were confident enough of achieving top 4 with Defoe and Ade at the start of the season. January doesn't change that. We have trailed off in the second half of the past two seasons. It's a rotation and winning mentality switch that is needed more than anything.

HyNdZee HyNdZee I think Sig has looked better for us playing from wide rather than in the middle. The thinking must be that Bale/Lennon/Holtby will be the first 3 and then Demspey and Sig will be the back-ups.

The only worry is in the case of an injury or two and further progress in the Europa League restricting our rotation. Hopefully AVB can manage it well as currently we do look stronger at the end of games than I've seen for a while, backed up by the two late equalisers in the PL.

Yeah, I agree Sig has looked better on the wing, and more often looked better as a sub as well. We turned down the chance to break even on him so he must be showing value in training too.

We haven't actually had our full squad fit and on form yet. I don't expect we will, but I think we will be able to see better combinations regarding the front four attacking players.

Back
Top Bottom