Our Squad 2019/20 - and the Rebuild !

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Edit - squad now updated assuming Wanyama is now staying and Parrott included in the CL squad.

October - edit for Vorm being re-signed

Gk’s - Lloris, Gazzaniga, Vorm
CB’s - Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth (u21)
FB’s - Aurier, Walker Peters (Club), Rose (Club), Davies
CM’s - Ndombele, Winks (Club), Dier, Sissoko, Wanyama, Skipp (u21)
AM’s - Eriksen, Dele (Assn), Son, Moura, Lamela. Lo Celso, Sessegnon (Assn)
FWD’s – Kane (Club) Parrott

UEFA Player Designation Summary

Players are categorised by the UEFA designation of Club trained (Club) and Trained by other FA Affiliated Clubs (Assn) or Under 21 (u21), where there is no designation the player is Overseas Trained

Overseas Trained (maximum 17) : 18 (including Parrott and Vorm)
Club Trained : 4. (Kane, Winks, Walker-Peters, Rose)
Trained by other FA Affiliated Club : 2 ( Dele, Sessegnon )
U21’s – 2 (Foyth, Skipp, )
Total - 26 Players (including Vorm and Parrott)

Note - as Parrott has been with Spurs for less than 2 years he is not regarded as an u21' player but an Overseas Trained player. Next season he will revert to being an u21'. Same rule means that Sessegnon will be categorised as an Association Trained player and not an u,21. whilst taking advantage of that rule means Foyth is an u21' this season.

Vorm will be eligible for PL squad as Parrott will be considered an u21' (rather than overseas trained,) but will NOT be eligible for CL squad. However in January will have the opportunity to re-jig the CL squad and Mary include Vorm by either dropping Parrott out or another overseas trained player who is either sold or Poch decided will not play in the knock out stages ( eg. Aurier or Wanyama may be candidates)

The Rebuild

Key players tied down to at least 2022 - Kane, Ndombele, Son, Dele, Lloris, Sanchez, Lucas, Winks, Moura, Lo Celso (assuming the loan option is converted to permanent). That provides a strong core to rebuild round.

Goalkeepers
Not an essential area to make changes until say 2021 - Lloris has his weaknesses but we are unlikely to get a better goalkeeper.

Whiteman seems to be preferred candidate for 3rd GK - but we might want to see if there are more experienced but under utilised GK's to bring in , possibly as a long term successor to Lloris ?

Centre Backs
The only question is when we need to bring in replacements for the aging (and out of contract at end of this season) Vertonghen and Alderweireld. Good news is we have Sanchez and Foyth in place with the versatile Dier available and a very promising pre-season from Tanganga.

We might well bring in one or two experienced but young (lets say 22/23) CB in January or next summer to replace one or both of Jan and Toby.

Full Backs
Rose is almost certainly in his last season at Spurs - is Sessegnon his replacement or do we need to buy a LB ? A short term solution could be Harvey White (who played there very well in preseason) but is really a CM, and only 18 but an option none the less, and Dennis Cirkin (same age as White) has also looked good as LB in youth and a candidate to be in next seasons preseason squad. Davies is a good solid no 2.
RB is a question, as KWP may well be one of the long term options (this season will decide that), whilst Foyth might also settle into the role.

Think the transfer activity will be next summer unless a top candidate becomes available inJanuary

Centre Midfield
Ndombele, Winks and the ever improving Skipp seem to be here for the long term. We also have Sissoko and Dier who might either be here just for this season or longer, with Wanyama still here at least until January

We also have Harvey White who looked very good in pre-season (albeit playing in a secondary role at LB) and Jamie Bowden also played in preseason. If either of these play this season, its likely we will not buy but rely on Dier and Sissoko in the short term until either or both of White and Bowden come through. There is also Luke Amos on loan at QPR but excellent in pre-season 2018 who might claim a CM squad spot

With Lo Celso and Dele also able to drop back, we probably do not NEED to buy.

Attacking Midfield
Possibly the strongest lineup we have had for many years. Big elephant in the room is whether Eriksen stays or goes at the end of this season or even January ( unlikely) If he stays we have no need to bring someone else in, if he goes we are almost certainly in the market for another AM or versatile AM/striker.

One or two possibly coming through the youth system - Jack Roles probably being the best known. But he wont play this season, and might only be a bit part player next season. I think we may buy a versatile AM if Sessegnon looks to become a LB rather than a LM/LW, even if Eriksen stays.

Striker
Having a world class striker brings its problems. With Son and Moura we certainly have cover - but that might mean we need an extra AM ? But with Troy Parrott looking a great prospect, who wont make much impact in playing time this season, and possibly next season will be more like 10 starts and 10 off the bench its still only 50/50 that we buy another striker, and only if a good versatile striker turns up. Dybala, ok maybe.

Overall though the squad is in pretty good shape, with most of our key players tied into long term contracts. But the rebuild has started and will continue

And changes there will be :

January 2020 - Maybe one or two new players, as always availability is king in January
Summer 2020 - Maybe 4 - 6 players. Just depends on who is available

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
We've (probably) lost two fringe players and had our best transfer window in years, so now we need a rebuild?! :pochcmon:
I'd say there's a couple of positions we need to strengthen depending on what happens with Eirksen, Vert and Toby, but I don't think we need a squad rebuild.

We've (probably) lost two fringe players and had our best transfer window in years, so now we need a rebuild?! :pochcmon:
I'd say there's a couple of positions we need to strengthen depending on what happens with Eirksen, Vert and Toby, but I don't think we need a squad rebuild.

Poch was saying we needed a rebuild which he described as painful before this TW.

This TW and next I think we'll see the biggest change in 'proper first team' players for a few years, but as I said I think the squad is in pretty good condition, apart from the changes e need to make for age.

And that Spurs are now buying better class of players (Lo Celso and Ndombele) to upgrade or replace some of the players - for example Id say Ndombele is an upgrade on the Dembele of the last 2 seasons and even before because N'dombele seems better at passing and creating chances that Dembele with limited passing skills ever could.

If, as seems likely, Aurier leaves as well as Wanyama, we will have 13 non-HG and 6 HG in the EPL squad (total 19) and 15 non-HG, 2 association and 4 club trained in the ECL squad (total 21)
Means in January we can sign 1 non HG (2 if Parrott is removed from the ECL squad) and 2 HG players who can play Champion's League and for the EPL we can sign up to 3 non-HG and up to 5 HG players up to the maximum of 25.
All the players in the reduced squad will be given game time and that should keep most sweet.
Gives us a good chance to see how our new guys bed in and how good our academy players are.
Personally hoping in January we look more in the HG/EPL proven direction but would not say no to Olmo, providing he keeps up the good work.

Last edited:
so now we need a rebuild?!

Large portions of the squad will vanish next year, I think saying a rebuild is a fair comment.

8 of our players contracts end within the next 2 years.
  • Toby (30) - Seems to want to run his contract down
  • Eriksen (27) - Openly said he wants to leave
  • Jan (32) - No public outcrys and has said all the right things, but has been dropped for the opening games
  • Sissoko (30) - I can't see him getting a big new contract when he will be 31 next year, entering his final year
  • Rose (29) - Openly said he wants to leave in the past, will be 30 next year, unlikely to get a new contract
  • Wanyama (28) - Injury prone and looks like he will leave this week
  • Dier (25) - His role in the team has been gradually reduced to the point where we have better options at CB, RB and CM, even if he is versatile. Possibly has this season to prove a point and remain here.
  • Skipp (18) - I expect him to sign a new contract, his involvement in the squad is increasing and he seems settled.
Tottenham generally don't offer people in their late 20's/early 30's new contracts, or if we do it's usually at a reduced rate whereas most players can leave for China and get paid 2-4 times as much. I think at least 5 of those players will be gone before next season starts - that's almost a quarter of the entire squad.

We're only 2 games into the season so I really don't think we need to be worrying about a possible rebuild next year at this stage. We'll still have the same strong core in the squad and I expect there will be some youngsters stepping up over the season too.

I swear this forum has more drama queens than RADA! Why can't people just enjoy what we've got now and leave the worrying about next year until next year?!

We're only 2 games into the season so I really don't think we need to be worrying about a possible rebuild next year at this stage. We'll still have the same strong core in the squad and I expect there will be some youngsters stepping up over the season too.

I swear this forum has more drama queens than RADA! Why can't people just enjoy what we've got now and leave the worrying about next year until next year?!

Absolutely. We are in great shape and currently have a lot of our important players for the future tied down to very long term deals.

2023 expiring - Walker-Peters, Clarke

2024 expiring - Kane, Son, Dele, Sanchez, Davies, Winks, Lucas

2025 expiring - Ndombele, Sessegnon

Add to this Lo Celso who will have a deal that is either 2024 or 2025 and that's 12 players that we don't have to be concerned about for the next 4 years at the very earliest. People really do need to chill and just enjoy the game for what it is.

Absolutely. We are in great shape and currently have a lot of our important players for the future tied down to very long term deals.

2023 expiring - Walker-Peters, Clarke

2024 expiring - Kane, Son, Dele, Sanchez, Davies, Winks, Lucas

2025 expiring - Ndombele, Sessegnon

Add to this Lo Celso who will have a deal that is either 2024 or 2025 and that's 12 players that we don't have to be concerned about for the next 4 years at the very earliest. People really do need to chill and just enjoy the game for what it is.
Son contracted to 2023.

It is a bit worrying that we could be losing four very senior players next season. We could theoretically lose three of our first choice back four and have a RB that has only had one season as first choice. It's a big year for Sanchez as he needs to prove he's good enough to take over.

I think we really need to get Vertonghen signed up again. I would have thought he deserves 2 years after his performances over the last few seasons. We don’t want to be looking for 2 top centre backs next summer.
Yes we have Sanchez Dier and Foyth but they are nowhere near the quality of the two Belgians. Keep Vert and poss look for another CB unless Tanganga comes to the fore this season.
It’s a bit of a tester for Poch because he has been quite fortunate that the bulk of our squad was here when he arrived. He has improved them no doubt, Our buying record since has not been too great. Presumably now we have more money, the signings will be of a higher quality in the future.
Might be advantageous to use Davies as back up CB and find another left back.

This TW and next summer I'd suggest we may lose the following regular (or have been regular) first team players either because their contracts have run down, age or otherwise :

Trippier (gone)
Rose
Vertonghen
Alderweireld
Dier
Wanyama (going ?)
Sissoko
Eriksen

That's 8 players out of a squad of usually around 22 players (rather than a full 25 man squad), so 36%.

And 36% of players moving is more than a refresh - even if 'rebuild' sounds a little frightening.

Sure we might keep a couple or even several for longer - Dier and Sissoko don't have to go (as I said in OP), but I suspect they will if we identify suitable players to keep the squad with around 22 players. The debate with Vertonghen and Alderweireld is (Imo) likely to be about length of contract extension due to their age rather than wages.....but both have said they might like to wind down at Ajax etc. And the decision to go will largely be driven by the players to the clubs offers which might only be one year or two year extensions. Etc

But as I said as a conclusion to OP :

'Overall though the squad is in pretty good shape, with most of our key players tied into long term contracts. But the rebuild has started and will continue'

Son contracted to 2023.

It was widely reported he signed another one in Feb 2019 - not sure if it had an extension or just a bump in pay ... Actually it was reported that he was offered one in Feb but nothing confirmed anywhere... as you were

#SonRefusedContractAtSpurs

Was having a chat with a couple of the boys at lunch and we went over the Spurs situ. We got into how close or how far away we are and went through the team.

Based on where we are and where we strive to be, over the next 12 months I see the following players in bold as being ones that add to the squad long term, the ones not in bold being areas we should probably replace/ need to invest in (the ones with lines under their name are guys I think we could shift but it's not crucial so long as they are happy with a squad role):

Lloris
Gazzaniga

Whiteman

Aurier
Walker-Peters
Foyth

Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Sanchez
Rose
Davies
Sessegnon
Winks
Ndombele

Dier
Sissoko

Wanyama
Skipp
Eriksen
Lo Celso
Dele
Lucas
Son
Clarke

Lamela
Kane
Parrott

I'm not saying all of these add elite value but I think it's fair to say the ones highlighted do a sufficient job squad quality wise.

A 3rd choice GK if none prove their worth, a RB, 2xCBs, a DM & 2x AMs seem to be where long term weak areas are arising.

I'm happy with KWP as backup RB, happy to see Skipp take Wanyama's squad place, happy to give Clarke Lamela's slot if he keeps bumbling about and doesn't give us a reason not to say goodbye and in all honesty I'm pretty content to see Parrott given the opportunity to be Kane's backup over bringing Llorente back in for a year.

A RB, 2xCBs, potentially a DM/CM & an AM and all looks pretty healthy.

Atal, Berge, 2xCBs and an up & coming creative AM as it stands for me. I'd love to see someone like Dybala come in but with Eriksen wanting our & 2 ageing/ contract expiring CBs we'd never be able to prioritise the money on him even if the chance came about again in Jan.

The biggest area of concern is clearly CB & AM, it's crucial that the scouting department get it right.

Was having a chat with a couple of the boys at lunch and we went over the Spurs situ. We got into how close or how far away we are and went through the team.

Based on where we are and where we strive to be, over the next 12 months I see the following players in bold as being ones that add to the squad long term, the ones not in bold being areas we should probably replace/ need to invest in (the ones with lines under their name are guys I think we could shift but it's not crucial so long as they are happy with a squad role):

Lloris
Gazzaniga

Whiteman

Aurier
Walker-Peters
Foyth

Alderweireld
Vertonghen
Sanchez
Rose
Davies
Sessegnon
Winks
Ndombele

Dier
Sissoko

Wanyama
Skipp
Eriksen
Lo Celso
Dele
Lucas
Son
Clarke

Lamela
Kane
Parrott

I'm not saying all of these add elite value but I think it's fair to say the ones highlighted do a sufficient job squad quality wise.

A 3rd choice GK if none prove their worth, a RB, 2xCBs, a DM & 2x AMs seem to be where long term weak areas are arising.

I'm happy with KWP as backup RB, happy to see Skipp take Wanyama's squad place, happy to give Clarke Lamela's slot if he keeps bumbling about and doesn't give us a reason not to say goodbye and in all honesty I'm pretty content to see Parrott given the opportunity to be Kane's backup over bringing Llorente back in for a year.

A RB, 2xCBs, potentially a DM/CM & an AM and all looks pretty healthy.

Atal, Berge, 2xCBs and an up & coming creative AM as it stands for me. I'd love to see someone like Dybala come in but with Eriksen wanting our & 2 ageing/ contract expiring CBs we'd never be able to prioritise the money on him even if the chance came about again in Jan.

The biggest area of concern is clearly CB & AM, it's crucial that the scouting department get it right.

I think Poch and Levy came into the window with uncertainties as to what Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen and Rose were going to do which could have disrupted our TW so really glad we brought in Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon ( even though I am unsure whether he will cover LB and whether that will be this season) in particular, and glad we took a punt on s youngster.

But I think we still have uncertainties over the same four players at the end of our TW and I think only after 2 September when the main European TWs close will we know who is here and have a proper heart to heart with each - and agree with them whether they will commit to Spurs by signing s new contract.

Whilst Vertonghen will be ,33 at the end of the season when his current contract runs out and Alderweireld only a year or so younger, both could still be at Spurs for one or even three more years at Spurs if both we and player agreed. And it's that uncertainty which needs resolving - but even if both signed contracts I'd be tempted to look at bringing in another CB - but it could be one of the academy youngsters if Toby signed for another ,3 years, but if neither sign, realistically we need to bring in one or two Reasonably experienced CBs - at least one of them being a "leader" for the defensive unit. I think Dier could be the leader but not sure he's the best CB - but that could be where Poch coaching magic may or may not work.

The AM decision again hinges in Eriksen either staying on a long term contract or going.
But we do have alternatives to whether we want an AM who can also play as a CM or not, certainly not another winger.

Currently we are overly dependent upon Ndombele being fit but imo that is easily resolved if Poch plays Skipp more this season ( say a dozen to 20 starts plus sub appearances ) as I think next season he can then be considered a first team CM rather than a trainee ( which he is now). If we bring in someone like Berg I think it has to mean him replacing Sissoko ( now about 30 so last chance to sell him for a fee ?) who has powerful running to break lines but adds relatively little otherwise. otherwise we become overstocked at CM especially if E have a full quota of AMs some if whom can also play CM.

But overall if possible either one or two in January ( even if they are not immediately productive they integrate into the squad for next season) plus another 3 - 5 next summer. In all cases I think we go for the quality end of the market rather than anyone - and if that means buying a youngster or two so be it. But as always it depends on the availability of good players - and that is not a given.

Harshly and well too are ahead of myself, at the end of this season we see a lot of the old guard probably no longer with us, this is how performance wise I see us currently shaping up as the likes of Toby, Jan & Christian possibly and inevitably move on:

[FORMATION=4231,Lloris,New RB,New CB,New CB,Davies,New CM,Ndombele, Lo Celso,Dele,Son,Kane][/FORMATION]

Backup team as it stands:

[FORMATION=4231,Gazzaniga,Walker-Peters,Sanchez,Foyth,Sessegnon,Winks,Skipp,Clarke,New AM,Lucas,Parrott][/FORMATION]

Hand on heart I'm genuinely interested to see how many from my current backup XI convince enough to make those 4 first XI slots their own. Huge seasons for KWP, Sanchez, Foyth & Winks really.

It seems drastic and whilst I definitely think the likes of Sissoko & Dier add enough value to warrant a place in our squad I wouldn't be adverse to moving them on if we need to balance the books to bring others in. I also need to say that I love Winksy but he simply needs to add more impulsive parts to his game. He needs to stop being so timid and risk losing the ball sometimes making something happen. If he doesn't he falls into my backup team it's as simple as that.

Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Wanyama, Dier, Sissoko, Eriksen & Lamela have the biggest question marks over them. How much would all of that lot save us in wages and fees in? Toby, Jan & Chrisitian potentially off on free transfers, the others potentially £110m-£115m combined?

If it's down to me, as it stands I would do all I can to sign Atal, Upamecano, N'Dicka, Aouar or Dybala for the positions I've highlighted. Anyone got a £300m going spare? 👀 It's starting to really show why we were interested in Saliba now:pochsulk:

The good thing is we have the majority of our long term squad sorted. The negative is most of our areas that need investment are actual first team slots that are currently being filled by players who simply aren't good enough or ready to be week in/ week out starters for a genuine top 4 team. Plenty to be happy with, plenty of work still to do and also plenty of players who simply need to stamp their mark and fulfill their potential this season or the chance to play at the highest level for us as a mainstay will pass them by.

Last edited:
It’s a difficult one.....if the manager is to be believed then there is a whole host of players who need not feature this season.
Rose, Toby, Jan, Eriksen should all make way for Foyth, Sanchez, Davies and LoCelso

Back
Top Bottom