Our Squad 2019/20 - and the Rebuild !

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

7th most expensive squad to assemble all whilst we built and opened the worlds most expensive club side stadium:

Transfer expenditure to assemble current squads:
€ million

1: 1014 Manchester City FC

2: 751 Manchester United FC

3: 639 Liverpool FC

4: 561 Chelsea FC

5: 498 Woolwich FC

6: 486 Everton FC

7: 465 Tottenham Hotspur FC

8: 312 Leicester City FC

I've always said we should be happy with how we do being the 6th biggest club but with Everton outspending us in fees and I think they might just be outspending us on wages as well, it's even more of an achievement that we, in theory shouldn't even be Europa League based on the other 6.

Excellent return for the money invested really but it's now time to kick on.

Everton ( rumoured in press ) to be going to report a loss of over £100m.

Doubt it means a meltdown but quite likely they will need to sell a few players, and buying will be very limited, and only if they sell more players.

With Spurs nominating Troy Parrott as part of the CL squad - and as he has only been at Spurs for one year he cannot be counted as an u21' but will be categorised as overseas trained for this season ( next season if not on loan he will be an u21').

So at the moment we have nominated our full quota of 17 overseas trained players.

And that means that if we want to sign any overseas trained players in January we are likely to be trying to create a space or two by selling the likes of Wanyama or Aurier., Or (shudder) Eriksen.

By the summer Parrott will have reverted to u21' for next season we have one space opened up for an overseas trained player.

We still have spaces for 2 players trained by Association Trained players - if we can find suitable players to buy or alternatively if the likes of club trained players such as Amos or Georgiou return to Spurs.

Everton ( rumoured in press ) to be going to report a loss of over £100m.

Doubt it means a meltdown but quite likely they will need to sell a few players, and buying will be very limited, and only if they sell more players.

Sounds like a Levy special or two up at Goodison. I remember barely 12 months ago Everton declaring themselves the winners of the transfer window! If true once again it shows the importance of financial management.

£100m losses in a league where money is thrown at them is a huge hit if true. I shall keep an eye out for what happens up there for sure.

7th most expensive squad to assemble all whilst we built and opened the worlds most expensive club side stadium:

Transfer expenditure to assemble current squads:
€ million

1: 1014 Manchester City FC

2: 751 Manchester United FC

3: 639 Liverpool FC

4: 561 Chelsea FC

5: 498 Woolwich FC

6: 486 Everton FC

7: 465 Tottenham Hotspur FC

8: 312 Leicester City FC

I've always said we should be happy with how we do being the 6th biggest club but with Everton outspending us in fees and I think they might just be outspending us on wages as well, it's even more of an achievement that we, in theory shouldn't even be Europa League based on the other 6.

Excellent return for the money invested really but it's now time to kick on.
Where does this site get their figures? I have Lo Celso as costing £50m (I'm ignoring the loan bit) and our squad total as £373 mill.

Where does this site get their figures? I have Lo Celso as costing £50m (I'm ignoring the loan bit) and our squad total as £373 mill.

Since 2013, the CIES Football Observatory has developed a powerful econometric approach to estimate the transfer value of professional footballers on a scientific basis (methodology). The values presented refer to the fee interval corresponding to the type of team most likely to be interested in recruiting the player. The specific price per engaging club is available on a consultancy basis.

Sounds like a Levy special or two up at Goodison. I remember barely 12 months ago Everton declaring themselves the winners of the transfer window! If true once again it shows the importance of financial management.

£100m losses in a league where money is thrown at them is a huge hit if true. I shall keep an eye out for what happens up there for sure.

Everton results for year to June 2018 showing a £88m operating loss

Having 'won the transfer window' in summer 2018 their costs (transfer fees and wages) will have had a substantial increases, but other than tv revenues cant see where Everton will get extra revenues, so a larger loss for the year to June 2019 is inevitable (and forecast by several Liverpool based journos).

At some point FFP will become a concern, unless they do something to change the trend

Swiss Ramble's comments on Everton cash flow - less stark than the P & L but the increased transfer spend (often paid over the length of a contract), can only get worse from Evertons 'transfer winning 2018 summer'

Last edited:
As the season goes on, I make our nucleus we keep next season the following:

Lloris
Gazzaniga (backup)
Walker-Peters (backup)
Foyth (backup)
Sanchez (backup)
Davies (backup)
Sessegnon (backup)
Winks (backup)
Ndombele
Skipp (backup)
Lo Celso
Dele
Lucas (backup)
Son
Clarke (backup)
Kane
Parrott (backup)

17 players from our current squad I'd keep, but only 6 (Lloris, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele, Son & Kane) start for me as it stands.

10 players seriously looking over their shoulder based on areas we can and possibly need to improve/ replace (Whiteman, Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Dier, Sissoko, Wanyama, Eriksen & Lamela)

11 offer squad depth, not great reading for the investment possibly and probably required. RB, 2xCB, DM, CM, AM/FWD on the needed list, ouch! Let's see how this list pans out as the season goes on.

Lloris
Gazzaniga (backup)
Walker-Peters (backup)
Foyth (backup)
Sanchez (backup)
Davies (backup)
Sessegnon (backup)
Winks (backup)
Ndombele
Skipp (backup)
Lo Celso
Dele
Lucas (backup)
Son
Clarke (backup)
Kane
Parrott (backup)

17 players from our current squad I'd keep, but only 6 (Lloris, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele, Son & Kane) start for me as it stands.

10 players seriously looking over their shoulder based on areas we can and possibly need to improve/ replace (Whiteman, Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Dier, Sissoko, Wanyama, Eriksen & Lamela)

11 offer squad depth, not great reading for the investment possibly and probably required. RB, 2xCB, DM, CM, AM/FWD on the needed list, ouch! Let's see how this list pans out as the season goes on.
It's really worrisome for me at least.

Unless Sanchez and Foyth massively improve within 8 months we will need to replace our entire back 4 and keeper unless we stay the course with Aurier and Rose...
I can't even remember the last defender we bought who was a real success... Toby? Or Davies I guess.

Real get Eriksen then Poch

mirror-4.jpg

Considering who we bought this summer and the function they serve, for me it's evident that the rebuild/revamp has already begun.

The pisser about going out of the LC so soon is that we have less opportunity to break them and the kids in over the course of the season now....

Lloris
Gazzaniga (backup)
Walker-Peters (backup)
Foyth (backup)
Sanchez (backup)
Davies (backup)
Sessegnon (backup)
Winks (backup)
Ndombele
Skipp (backup)
Lo Celso
Dele
Lucas (backup)
Son
Clarke (backup)
Kane
Parrott (backup)

I started this thread with a post suggesting we'd try to buy one or two players in January and another 4-6 in the summer without naming names.

Of the 10 your post suggest we might need to improve on/replace (Whiteman, Aurier, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Rose, Dier, Sissoko, Wanyama, Eriksen & Lamela), I'd suggest we will probably keep :

Whiteman - 3rd GK, no experience to date. I really don't know the plan for 3rd GK although it would make sense to me to send Whiteman on a loan to get experience. But unless we get in a HG 3rd GK, it maybe that he stays - I still think one of Poch's first decisions to keep 3 overseas trained GK's and sell David Button (now no 2 GK at Brighton) was a poor decision, and he's never overcome that.

Dier - Not played much for 12 months due to a series of injuries, so needs minutes to prove he is still capable, but if he gets back to his previous form he stays for me (at least for the next year or two unless a big bid comes in and we have a player in to replace him) . Versatile DM/CB/RB and was a committed player for us, what's not to like ? We have two players (Bowden and White) coming through either of whom, like Skipp, could overtake Dier, but that's one or two seasons away.

Lamela - I've not been his biggest fan as previously he's had about one good season out of the 5 he's had at Spurs. But atm he seems to be playing well and on a fairly recent new contract. So unless a big bid comes in and we have a ready made replacement in the wings, I'd ne in no hurry to sell. The closest replacement coming through the academy is Jack Roles but I'd suggest he's at least a season away from being able to be a first team squad member for Spurs, assuming he makes it.

The others I'd agree with, just a question of timing for me. Unless of course they suddenly pull their socks up.

Sounds a lot of players to replace but despite ManU throwing money at the problem for years, their squad needs more changes than ours does ! Puts it into perspective a bit

Old news rehashed.

TBH unless Madrid are desperate I'm not sure they'd bother signing Eriksen even on a free, his form has really plummeted this year, and unless he puts the effort in he'll end up at a club which is a less highly regarded than Spurs.

Losing against a fourth series team means that Pochettino is not managing the team well: either he has exhausted energy after the final of CL (it is possible, they are events that shred you) or he is really thinking about his future elsewhere.

Your value isn’t discussed , it is high from the top team of PL and therefore top European

Lloris
Gazzaniga (backup)
Walker-Peters (backup)
Foyth (backup)
Sanchez (backup)
Davies (backup)
Sessegnon (backup)
Winks (backup)
Ndombele
Skipp (backup)
Lo Celso
Dele
Lucas (backup)
Son
Clarke (backup)
Kane
Parrott (backup)

New 4 year contract to 2023.

I guess that means he is certainly not leaving in January. And quite possibly staying in the summer. One less on the list of 10 "looking over their shoulders" and an other to add to the players to rebuild the squad round - and another player showing he is not disaffected by Poch and/or Spurs.

Although equally I don't see him staying for his entire new contract and it also preserves value should he move on in say 2 years.

Think this is a first for Spurs, certainly in the recent pass, giving a long term contract to a 30 year old.

Wonder if it's also a signal to either Vertonghen or Alderweireld ( our other 30+ year olds) that a new contract is possibleproving wages and length of contract are right, as well as attitude towards the team/fitness etc.

I had expected a few contracts to have been announced at the end of the transfer window to existing players, wonder if this is the first of a new round of contract extensions.

Thought it might be useful to summarise the length of contracts Spurs have for the major players :

2025 - Ndombele, Sessegnon, Lo Celso ,( if option to sign permanent is exercised)
Total 3 players

2024 - Kane, Son, Dele, Moura, Sanchez, Davies, Winks, Sissoko (was 2021)
Total 8 players

2023 - Walker-Peters, Clarke
Total 2 players

2022 - Lloris. Aurier, Lamela. Foyth, Gazzaniga
Total 4 players

2021 - Wanyama, Rose, Skipp, Dier
Total ,3 players

2020 - Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Eriksen, Carter-Vickers
Total 4 players

So 17 players on contracts lasting for 3 years or more to June 2022. That's a decent number of players to rebuild a squad round

Assuming we extend Skipps contract at some stage that gives us 18 players. Maybe Dier as well to make 19 players to rebuild the squad round. Add Parrott and it's 20 Very decent number

So of the others, I still think that one of Vertonghen or Alderweireld or Eriksen will sign an extension. We'd probably prefer Rose to sign a one year extension to preserve some value, but if he doesn't he doesn't.

Last edited:
OP updated for Vorm re-signing for the rest of the season.

He will be eligible to play in PL games but too many overseas trained players so he will not be eligible to play CL football until Christmas. In January Course can make changes to CL squad to include Vorm, by dropping or selling one of the other overseas trained players.

Back
Top Bottom