Our Squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Europa League Squad as published by UEFA (updated to include Rodon acquisition)

Lloris (Hart, Whiteman & Austin)
Doherty (Aurier) - Sanchez (Tanganga, ) - Alderweireld (Dier) - Reguilon (Davies)
Hojbjerg (Sissoko) - Lo Celso (Winks)
Bale (Moura) - Dele (Ndombele) - Son (Bergwijn, Lamela, Clarke)
Kane (Vinicius )​

Doherty was loaned by Wolves to Hibernian (affiliated to Football Association of Scotland) which means that he could not get HG status and remained 'overseas trained'. Confirmed by sudoku 30/12 who confirmed by emailing Spurs

Those 26 players, categorised by UEFA would be :
Club Trained - 4 ( Kane, Bale, Winks, Whiteman, )
Other Assoc Trained 3 (Hart, Dele, Clarke)
Overseas Trained 17 (Lloris, Aurier, Doherty, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Dier, Reguilon, Davies, Hojbjerg, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Lucas, Ndombele, Son, Bergwijn, Vinicius, Lamela)
Sub-Total 24 Players
List B (U 21's)
2 (Tanganga, Austin)
Total Players 26

Other notable u21 players who could be included are Cirkin and White.

Premier League Squad (and domestic cups)
As EL squad above but also adding :
Gazzaniga - as Davies recategorized as HG player in PL squad, it creates a space for additional overseas player)
Gedson - Classified as u21 for PL
Rodon - Clarke categorised as u21 for PL so opening up an HG space for Rodon

For PL (with different rules to categorise players) :
Overseas Trained

- 17 players above less Davies less Doherty plus Gazzaniga = 16
Home Grown

- As Club and Other Assn Trained - 7 above plus Davies, Rodon & Doherty less Clarke = 9
Sub - Total 25 Players
Under 21's

- As above plus Clarke

Other Current First Team Squad Players

Skipp - loan for season to Norwich
Parrott - loan for season to Millwall
Sessegnon - loan for season to Hoffenheim
Foyth - loan to Villareal for season
Carter-Vickers - loan to Bournemouth for season

Rose (Club Trained) - Not included in squad

PL squad will probably be announced at end of Domestic Transfer Window (October 26)
..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Original Post (17/9/2020

The squad has been strengthened significantly this Transfer Window with 4 new 'first team' players .

With the number of games we might have this season our 'first team' might only start in 40% of the games we play (even if all fit) whilst in the other 60% of games the side might have anywhere from none of the first team (in some domestic cup matches) to many of the first team with the other places in the team taken up by tyhe 'non first team' players or youngsters - a real mix and match situation.

So here's our possible first XI with alternative players in brackets - assuming we still sign a new striker, and Rose has left :

Lloris (Hart)
Doherty (Aurier) - Sanchez (Tanganga) - Alderweireld (Dier) - Reguilon (Davies)
Hojbjerg (Sissoko) - Lo Celso (Winks)
Bale (Moura) - Dele (Ndombele) - Son (Bergwijn)
Kane (New Striker)​

Those 22 players, categorised by UEFA would be :
Club Trained - 3 ( Kane, Bale, Winks)
Other Assoc Trained 3 (Hart, Doherty, Dele)
Overseas Trained 15 (Lloris, Aurier, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Dier, Reguilon, Davies, Hojbjerg, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Lucas, Ndombele, Son, Bergwijn, New Striker)
Under 21 1 (Tanganga)
Total Players 22

Which allows us enough room in the squad to include a 3rd GK (Gazanigga - overseas trained) and Lamela (Overseas trained) and Sessegnon (Other Association trained).

Total Number of players in above squad = 25 (including u21 Tanganga, but excluding other u21's such as Cirkin, White and Bowden who might feature in early League Cup games for example.

Which leaves no places for - Foyth, Gedson, Clarke, all of whom might be loaned out, or Foyth sold and Gedson loan cancelled.

Might still need another player or two to leave if more than the alternative striker joins.

Last edited:
Where we have strengthened is :

1. For the first time since Walker left we have 2 marauding full backs in Doherty and Reguilon - in Spurs hey day of 4 or 5 years ago most other teams could not live with Rose and Walker. Hopefully same will be true with our new pairing.

Since Walker left we have tended to have a lopsided attack with everything going up the RHS. With attacks now able to be mounted on both sides again it wil be harder to defend against....and more chances created for Spurs forwards.....which to some extent compensates for less creativity in central midfield,

2. Central midfield in more solid with Hojbjerg (high numbers of interceptions and tackles) : just need his partnership with Lo Celso or Ndombele or Winks develop.

3 A forward line of Bale, Kane, Son with Dele supporting is possibly the best attack in PL.

4 So far of our 'established' players we may end up only selling/loaning out KWP, Rose, Foyth, Gedson and Clarke, none of whom have been major players for us this season, whilst adding 4 first teamers and keeping the players no longer considered 'first team' to be their back ups.

Consequently the strength on depth is far greater than for years.

And we have kept all the players we wanted to keep.

5 Still three weeks of the transfer window to go, so whilst the above only anticipates one player (a striker) coming in, there's still opportunities to strengthen at centre back or central midfield........ .....although frankly I'd be very surprised if we got another 3 players in after Bale and Regiulon

and it would be interesting to see who we chose to move on to create space (eg do we sell Cazzaniga to rely on a 22 year old inexperienced ex academy GK - where we have a space for a Club trained player) or sell the llikes of Aurier or Lamela (in addition to the likes of Foyth) ?

Last edited:
Lots of calls to change formation from 4231, however with the complement of players we have now, 4231 is still very logical.

No sign of a change to 433, although with the same players, I'm sure 433 is equally possible.

Maybe we can morph between the 2 formations in games to confuse the opposition !

It's pretty crazy to see how much regeneration the squad has gone through already under Mourinho. Doherty, Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Lo Celso (sure he was signed by Poch but played a couple of games under him), Bergwijn and Bale are all going to be in and around the starting XI but are Jose guys. A lot of times this season there will be more 'Mourinho' players on the pitch than Golden Poch era players.

Still need a striker
Why? Kane, Son, Bale backed up by Lucas, Bergwijn, Dele, (I think Dele goes out on loan) Lamela .... how will any new striker ever get a game? Not saying we won't sign some bench warming player but I don't think we will need them, would rather see fringe squad players get game time in the EL and LC even playing out of position than play a bit-part bench striker.

Why? Kane, Son, Bale backed up by Lucas, Bergwijn, Dele, (I think Dele goes out on loan) Lamela .... how will any new striker ever get a game? Not saying we won't sign some bench warming player but I don't think we will need them, would rather see fringe squad players get game time in the EL and LC even playing out of position than play a bit-part bench striker.
Because Kane will inevitably get injured

Because all of them already played as 9 and it's definitely not their best position. What's the point of having good players everywhere and decent depth, when you are one injury apart from playing suboptimal tactics again?

At the risk of sounding like a scratched record I still maintain bringing in Hart has weakened the goalkeeping options rather than strengthened them. It could turn out to be a very costly decision.
Please God I'm wrong about this.

If, and this is a big IF, Mourinho keeps using the same tactics he used at FC Porto ( i see tottenham as a FCPorto mirror in Europe mostly)

In the Premier League I think he will use this

Loris

Doherty, Alderweireld, Dier, Reguillon ( if he comes)

PEH , Lo Celso, Son

Bale (if he comes), Kane, Alli

being the tactic
1-4-1-2-2-1

Lo Celso and Son will have to bee the fighters in the middle both playing as number 8\10
-----------------------------------------------------------------

And when needed in the Europa League

Loris
PEH Winks Alli Bale
Son Kane

Being the tactic

1-4-4-2 with Bale in the right, Alli in the left, and Son Kane in the midlle.

I dont think Sanchez is a player to be in the starting lineup , i´d rather see Foyth then Sanchez

Because all of them already played as 9 and it's definitely not their best position. What's the point of having good players everywhere and decent depth, when you are one injury apart from playing sub-optimal tactics again?
OK - But then we have to sell and replace quality players who don't fit in that system with a player who only fits in that system, that's madness. If a player gets injured just change the system. 4-2-1-3 can very easily become 4-2-2-2

if Kane goes down you go from:

Holberg LoCelso - Dele - Kane, Son, Bale
to Holberg, LoCelso - Dele +1 - Son, Bale

It's just not possible to have a 'spare' Kane sitting on the bench ... not unless you have Man City money.

If, and this is a big IF, Mourinho keeps using the same tactics he used at FC Porto ( i see tottenham as a FCPorto mirror in Europe mostly)

In the Premier League I think he will use this

Loris

PEH , Lo Celso, Son

Bale (if he comes), Kane, Alli

being the tactic
1-4-1-2-2-1

Lo Celso and Son will have to bee the fighters in the middle both playing as number 8\10
-----------------------------------------------------------------

And when needed in the Europa League

Loris
PEH Winks Alli Bale
Son Kane

Being the tactic

1-4-4-2 with Bale in the right, Alli in the left, and Son Kane in the midlle.

I dont think Sanchez is a player to be in the starting lineup , i´d rather see Foyth then Sanchez

Zero pace in our CHs, which does not bode well if we are going to have attacking FBs.

OK - But then we have to sell and replace quality players who don't fit in that system with a player who only fits in that system, that's madness. If a player gets injured just change the system. 4-2-1-3 can very easily become 4-2-2-2

if Kane goes down you go from:

Holberg LoCelso - Dele - Kane, Son, Bale
to Holberg, LoCelso - Dele +1 - Son, Bale

It's just not possible to have a 'spare' Kane sitting on the bench ... not unless you have Man City money.
Every squad requires a striker, no matter how you are going to set it up, you need to play up front either a winger (Moura, Bale, Son) or attacking midfielder (Dele). We've already seen them all struggling there (except Bale, for obvious reasons). Last season we had Stevie, Moura, Dele, Sess and Son, and without Kane we struggled in final third. When Son went out at the same time as Kane, with either Moura or Dele up there it was a complete disaster.

Zero pace in our CHs, which does not bode well if we are going to have attacking FBs.

have u noticed how, the defence plays ? one of the FB goes up the other one stays and the Defensive Midfielder closes and makes 4 in the back, wich allows the 2 in the midlle plus the FB that went forward plus the attacking players to press upfront

its hard for me to write everything in English at 3 am :p but if you want i can try to explain how i think this thing will work....

Every squad requires a striker, no matter how you are going to set it up, you need to play up front either a winger (Moura, Bale, Son) or attacking midfielder (Dele). We've already seen them all struggling there (except Bale, for obvious reasons). Last season we had Stevie, Moura, Dele, Sess and Son, and without Kane we struggled in final third. When Son went out at the same time as Kane, with either Moura or Dele up there it was a complete disaster.

But isn't that want Bale brings? You've got Son, Bale, Kane now ... isn't that enough?

have u noticed how, the defence plays ? one of the FB goes up the other one stays and the Defensive Midfielder closes and makes 4 in the back, wich allows the 2 in the midlle plus the FB that went forward plus the attacking players to press upfront

its hard for me to write everything in English at 3 am :p but if you want i can try to explain how i think this thing will work....

You are right that for the last few years the RB has gone forward (although Davies does not) so DM falls back to cover. But that's because we have only had one fast FB.

With 2 maraudering FB's in Doherty and Reguilon I think on ocassions both will go forward acting almost as wingers, but this time with the DM faling back into line wth the CB's to play 3 atb when in posession.

Givres us another variation to play.

Back
Top Bottom