Palace v Spurs 11th Sept 12:30 - Selhurst Park

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Big reality check for Nuno and the team, in every way. We played terrible football and offered no threat at all. His use of the bench was cowardly, only making changes because of injury and a red card.

The only positive I can take is that individually I think Rodon, Reguilon and Tanganga (aside from the daft red) had good games and really showed they wanted to keep that clean sheet. Some big blocks and headers, a shame that their hard work was thrown away by a stupid handball.

this. 100%. how were we supposed to transition the ball. long ball? I'm ok with skipp and hojbjerg but the 3rd midfielder has to be really creative. And we don't have anyone (please don't say N'Dombele. That horse has been well flogged)

I mean it's not a new problem. replacing eriksen or dembele ain't easy. But we don't have even 1 able creative midfielder in our squad. not one. most teams have 2 or 3 options
We've tried to buy, TBF. GLC hasn't lived up to it and Ndombele basically refuses to play.

Our scouting is complete shit.

this. 100%. how were we supposed to transition the ball. long ball? I'm ok with skipp and hojbjerg but the 3rd midfielder has to be really creative. And we don't have anyone (please don't say N'Dombele. That horse has been well flogged)

I mean it's not a new problem. replacing eriksen or dembele ain't easy. But we don't have even 1 able creative midfielder in our squad. not one. most teams have 2 or 3 options

Edit: OK maybe lo celso. but he's far from proven himself
I think the idea was diagonal balls to full backs pushing on.

Very disappointed in Nuno today. Can't find much blame for players individually, Davies + Japhet aside. Disgraceful from Davies really, though the team was at least showing resilience to keep the game 0-0.

Hojbjerg - Skipp - Winks - Dele should never be on the field together. Dele a midfield workhorse now and no more. None of them played well, but they weren't really given the conditions to succeed. Gil should have seen the field, but the red card will have made Nuno hunker deeper into his conservatism. Kane lumbering, feel bad for him really, he's too good a player to suffer through performances like that.
So with injuries, suspensions & FIFA clusterfucks, our first choice CBs are now Rodon and Davies. Which will only drive Nuno into selecting an ever more defensive & timid line-up.

I totally agree we should have continued with the Skipp-PEH-Dele midfield and brought Gil in. Then we could have played the ball forward to both Gil & Lucas to break fast on the counter-attack.

We all know Dele is never going to link counter-attacks so he shouldn't be one of the front 3 or the AM in a diamond. But in that original 3 man midfield, Dele can be the runner with Skipp & PEH holding.

I don't understand why Nuno doesn't get this.

What's ironic is, Nuno played negative defensive football because he was worried Palace would dominate us and in the end, that's exactly what they ended up doing.

Just shows that being a coward gets you nothing.

That's why football is also a great game (all while being an absolute atrocity).

Margins can be so very small, that you can turtle, cower and scheme your way to succes.

Big reality check for Nuno and the team, in every way. We played terrible football and offered no threat at all. His use of the bench was cowardly, only making changes because of injury and a red card.

The only positive I can take is that individually I think Rodon, Reguilon and Tanganga (aside from the daft red) had good games and really showed they wanted to keep that clean sheet. Some big blocks and headers, a shame that their hard work was thrown away by a stupid handball.
Quite, if you don't have the Dier injury or Tanganga red, that back line keeps blocking and clearing all afternoon. Looked very solid with eleven men.

It was everything from midfield onwards that was our downfall.

Dele wasn't the issue. Skipp and Winks with PEH is just a disaster class midfield. Gil for Winks was the sub. Should have been how we started.
Nuno, having botched the starting XI, still had the chance to fix his mistakes until well into the second half. Refusing to do so puts a lot of the blame squarely on his shoulders for the loss today. The shit performance can be blamed partly on the players who looked for the most part like they couldn’t give a fuck. Not sure I’ve been more frustrated after a match than today.

Palace had nothing to fear today, on the pitch or on our bench.

Perfect team for Vieira to get his first win..

Must have been a very easy team talk.

As for Santo, he can't win so he may as well just enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.

He will soon realise if he doesn't already.

I don't think I would be nearly as annoyed if things didn't play out pretty much exactly how everyone outside of Nuno thought they would. Just entirely preventable.

Anyway, finding myself not caring that much tbh.

Same BS, over and over and over....

Levy ain't going anywhere and the game's going to shit.

Let's have 5 WCs a year for mUh rEvEnUe!

Bit sick of it all tbh.

4 central midfielders, none of whom have any pace. It looked shit on paper and in practice it most certainly was. Baffled as to why Nuno went with it

Back
Top Bottom