Palace v Spurs 11th Sept 12:30 - Selhurst Park

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This one game has left me so demoralised and pessimistic for the whole season.

Nuno made so many obvious errors, and did not make changes quick enough either.
I'm also seriously considering Kane's commitment, whether Emerson can cope in PL, and whether Skipp can progress the play enough.

Only small bright spots were Rodon solid, Tanganga solid before he lost his mind, and Reguilon defending well in crucial moments (but still lacks confidence when passing).
I find it hard to blame Reguilon (and Emerson, though he wasn't good) for what they did with the ball. No movement for the ball once we crossed the halfway line. Watching the game back, Dele - Winks -Skipp have us no chance of keeping and moving the ball in that game, just hopeless. Hojbjerg tried to play in a few spurts but had nothing to work with. Shocking midfield performance and much of it is on the coach for playing them together.

I'm not too put out, we have Ndombele, Gio, Gil, Bergwijn, Romero all good enough to be first choice players over the next few weeks. We'll finish between 5th - 7th.

So it was good defending by Dier, giving the ball away out of position, then good defending by Sanchez to get passed and then left for dead by Traore?
It wasn't a combination of Traore being as much use as Sissoko when through on goal and a superb bit of reaction from Lloris to get out and shut down the angle?
You've picked out one moment of skill from a talented attacker from three games in which not only did we not concede a goal but Hugo was largely untroubled. That simply doesn't happen if your central defenders are having shit games.

Both were praised during the match by the commentators and pundits, on MotD and in newspaper reports. In our own player ratings section Dier has an average for the three games of 6.9 and Sánchez of 7.3. We're a tough lot to please.

If you think they both played poorly in those 3 games, that says more about your prejudice than it does about their performances

Dier and Sanchez have performed very well this season. Arguing otherwise is ridiculous.
In any event it’s a bit like complaining about the air on as your taxi drives over a cliff. - Our attention needs to be elsewhere.

the midfield is the cliff edge. Sort that and IF the front two stay fit we will do well.
stick with what we had at palace and we won’t finish top half because the shit midfield also negates the impact of Son and Kane. So it’s a double whammy. Fix the chuffing midfield!!

Well when I pointed out he was shit, it was blaming the ref, so do you blame the ref too or do you think he had a good game? Or you agree he was shit but so were we, so pointing it out isnt necessarily the same as saying it was his fault we lost?
The ref WAS crap. And so were we.

Yeah, thats what I said (not only in the post you replied to). But I do think the ref had some impact on how crap we were, with how fucking useless he was.
Tough to tell really. The standard of refereeing in the PL has become so bad the last few seasons I'm beginning to wonder if it's better not refereed. And VAR just makes everything 10x worse.

Still annoyed by this performance days later. We were fucked from the start with that god awful, utterly stupid team selection, compounded by Nuno's refusal/inability to change it and admit his cock-up.

I need to see something remotely attacking against Chelscum regardless of the result.

Hell no.... I couldn't give a shit about how we play against them; just don't want to lose to the cunts.....

Worry about a fan-placating style of play showcase another day.

(Ditto the Arse game too if I'm being brutally honest.)

After those games we have a kind run of fixtures and we can start to hopefully build some momentum.

Last edited:
Why not??
West Ham 'pulled it back' from 0-3 down with 7/8 minutes left against us last season...

Why does going 2-0 down mean the end, with 7 minutes left to play....?
Oh, maybe 'cos it's expected when it's US!
But we had Winks so always a chance

Tough to tell really. The standard of refereeing in the PL has become so bad the last few seasons I'm beginning to wonder if it's better not refereed. And VAR just makes everything 10x worse.
It is poor but I’ve noticed that Rugby league referees are as bad this season and I always respected them

Some shocking decisions

'I didn't agree with the side he put out, but I understood why he picked it. My main gripe is that he kept the same team at half time knowing what we were doing wasn't working. Even if he wanted to give the players 20 mins to put it right in second half and then make a change/s - but he didn't. Even when we went 1-0 down he persisted. I said on sat and having watched the game again, that was the worst performance I've witnessed in many of years and seeing Nuno on the touchline not trying to change it was infuriating.'

And tbh if Nuno can't change or attempt to change the game how on earth is he a good manager?
Levy promised us attacking football. Nuno and the club have a duty to deliver on the promise. Nuno has to be a better manager. Better football and do something to change the game.

Worryingly Wolves fans said he was exactly like this and that he was stubborn and at the end of the day Wolves parted ways with him because they wanted a better brand of football.

Why tf did we appoint him?

I honestly cannot think of one single game where Moss has even been mediocre, let alone good, regardless of who the teams he was reffing were.

The man is stealing a living, by far the worst referee in the game.
Nevertheless he got the three key calls spot on - Tanga's first yellow, his second/red and the penalty.

He may well be as shit as you all say (apart from Mike Dean I usually can't remember refs from one game to the next) but I don't think he had much of a bearing on the outcome of the match.

We did all the damage to ourselves, we didn't need outside help

Nevertheless he got the three key calls spot on - Tanga's first yellow, his second/red and the penalty.

He may well be as shit as you all say (apart from Mike Dean I usually can't remember refs from one game to the next) but I don't think he had much of a bearing on the outcome of the match.

We did all the damage to ourselves, we didn't need outside help
I thought he was a bit trigger happy with the 2nd yellow especially as they seem to be letting a lot more go these days - sensible management would have been you’ve just had a yellow calm down or you will be off. It seemed it took him a couple of seconds to realise it was jt and then he got very excited going for his cards again- and it was the assistant that called the pen - neither decision detracts that we were woeful and got exactly what we deserved from the game

I thought he was a bit trigger happy with the 2nd yellow especially as they seem to be letting a lot more go these days - sensible management would have been you’ve just had a yellow calm down or you will be off. It seemed it took him a couple of seconds to realise it was jt and then he got very excited going for his cards again- and it was the assistant that called the pen - neither decision detracts that we were woeful and got exactly what we deserved from the game
Seemed to me that he couldn’t wait to get the red card out

Poor refereeing but correct penalty

Really don’t know what Ben was thinking

Back
Top Bottom