Palace v Spurs 11th Sept 12:30 - Selhurst Park

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nevertheless he got the three key calls spot on - Tanga's first yellow, his second/red and the penalty.

He may well be as shit as you all say (apart from Mike Dean I usually can't remember refs from one game to the next) but I don't think he had much of a bearing on the outcome of the match.

We did all the damage to ourselves, we didn't need outside help
I wouldn't disagree Bill, us losing to Palace was not a direct result of Moss being the most godawful ref out there, that fault lies with Nuno for me.

Whether we'd won or lost though, Moss is the worst ref out there by quite a margin.

It is poor but I’ve noticed that Rugby league referees are as bad this season and I always respected them

Some shocking decisions
Don't understand rugby
I find it hard to blame Reguilon (and Emerson, though he wasn't good) for what they did with the ball. No movement for the ball once we crossed the halfway line. Watching the game back, Dele - Winks -Skipp have us no chance of keeping and moving the ball in that game, just hopeless. Hojbjerg tried to play in a few spurts but had nothing to work with. Shocking midfield performance and much of it is on the coach for playing them together.

I'm not too put out, we have Ndombele, Gio, Gil, Bergwijn, Romero all good enough to be first choice players over the next few weeks. We'll finish between 5th - 7th.
So....that would be 6th?

I find it hard to blame Reguilon (and Emerson, though he wasn't good) for what they did with the ball. No movement for the ball once we crossed the halfway line. Watching the game back, Dele - Winks -Skipp have us no chance of keeping and moving the ball in that game, just hopeless. Hojbjerg tried to play in a few spurts but had nothing to work with. Shocking midfield performance and much of it is on the coach for playing them together.

I'm not too put out, we have Ndombele, Gio, Gil, Bergwijn, Romero all good enough to be first choice players over the next few weeks. We'll finish between 5th - 7th.
You're right, I did feel slightly sorry for reguilon in particular as at times he would pick the ball up and have no pass on apart from a really intricate through ball.
Reguilon is good at crossing, but isn't technically gifted enough to pull off perfectly weighted diagonal balls, tbh no full back apart from Trent is.

Finishing between 5th and 7th doesn't excite me. We should be guaranteed 5th, trying for top 4 if one of the top clubs slip up.

We should be guaranteed 5th, trying for top 4 if one of the top clubs slip up.

By that same token shouldn't the presumed top 4 clubs guarantee themselves a top 4 finish?

Wouldn't it be a bit dull if we could all just guarantee our position at the beginning of the season..... Wouldn't be much point in playing if you think about it.

And they basically are, no?
I mean Liverpool had a horrific injury crisis last season and still managed to finish top 4.

Well no....... Top four was very much up in the air on the last day of the season.

e.g. If Leicester had beaten us Chavs would have finished outside of the top 4 and if they both won then Liverpool wouldn't.

If guaranteeing X or Y was possible we'd all be doing it every year and 5th place would have been our best ever finish.

Well no....... Top four was very much up in the air on the last day of the season.

e.g. If Leicester had beaten us Chavs would have finished outside of the top 4 and if they both won then Liverpool wouldn't.

If guaranteeing X or Y was possible we'd all be doing it every year and 5th place would have been our best ever finish.
Yeah, fair point, the top 4 wasn't guaranteed last season. But this season I feel it is. We've fallen way behind.

Yeah, fair point, the top 4 wasn't guaranteed last season. But this season I feel it is. We've fallen way behind.

I concur to the notion that 5th = par for us... However, if we have our shit together I don't see why we can't be knocking on the door ready to seize should anyone else stumble......

(I mean, generally speaking we were gash last year but, if we'd won one of our two game vs the Chavs last season and held out in just one of many wins we conspired to turn into draws; we'd have bagged 4th. Similarly if we had our shit together against Leeds & Villa during the run-in....)

Top 4 was gettable last season because Liverpool had the injury crisis from hell and a dip after winning the league, Chelsea had over half a season of Frank Lampard as manager and we had Gareth Bale. The fact we didn't do it is mainly on Mourinho. That was our opportunity and we blew it. This season i agree, no chance.

Top 4 was gettable last season because Liverpool had the injury crisis from hell and a dip after winning the league, Chelsea had over half a season of Frank Lampard as manager and we had Gareth Bale. The fact we didn't do it is mainly on Mourinho. That was our opportunity and we blew it. This season i agree, no chance.

...And the Harry-bomb which undermined our run-in until it was too late.

How infuriating to smash Leicester on the last day of the season..... It's not like it was a dead rubber as they still had Top 4 in their sights.

Show up against Leeds & Villa and it was job done

...And the Harry-bomb which undermined our run-in until it was too late.

How infuriating to smash Leicester on the last day of the season..... It's not like it was a dead rubber as they still had Top 4 in their sights.

Show up against Leeds & Villa and it was job done
Seems pretty harsh to shoulder missing top 4 on Kane and Mason on not winning 6 out of 6. Should have beaten Villa though. I blame all those cowardly 1-1s when we took an early lead and then never crossed the half way line again, Palace, Wolves, Fulham.

Seems pretty harsh to shoulder missing top 4 on Kane and Mason on not winning 6 out of 6.

I didn't blame Mason.... Inexperienced caretaker manager dropped in media grinder by the Harry-bomb which should have been held off until the season had finished.

Should have beaten Villa though.

So 5/6..... 6/6 isn't unreasonably out of reach at that point.

I blame all those cowardly 1-1s when we took an early lead and then never crossed the half way line again, Palace, Wolves, Fulham.

Sure.... I cited these things a few posts back.

Newcastle, WHam.... 1 or two others iirc too.

Chavs at home and Scum away also defining results.

What might have been etc. etc.

It was around this time last year that Liverpool got beat 7-2 by Villa....and Liverpool weren't playing their 5th choice centre back with 10 men.
You're really comparing us to Liverpool at the moment? Liverpool has good, proven players. We have Harry fucking Winks.

You've picked out one moment of skill from a talented attacker from three games in which not only did we not concede a goal but Hugo was largely untroubled. That simply doesn't happen if your central defenders are having shit games.

Both were praised during the match by the commentators and pundits, on MotD and in newspaper reports. In our own player ratings section Dier has an average for the three games of 6.9 and Sánchez of 7.3. We're a tough lot to please.

If you think they both played poorly in those 3 games, that says more about your prejudice than it does about their performances
I've said it to others and stand by it - that's one of numerous examples where the defence didn't do their job.
I've seen it and know it. If you want to prove me wrong, watch all 90 minutes of those games again.

I gave you an example of the kind of things they've been doing.

What you do with that example is up to you.

I've said it to others and stand by it - that's one of numerous examples where the defence didn't do their job.
I've seen it and know it. If you want to prove me wrong, watch all 90 minutes of those games again.

I gave you an example of the kind of things they've been doing.

What you do with that example is up to you.
They did their job by preventing the opposition from scoring any goals.

And that's a FACT you can take to the bank and be granted a mortgage in order to build a house thereon

They did their job by preventing the opposition from scoring any goals.

And that's a FACT you can take to the bank and be granted a mortgage in order to build a house thereon

3m highlights.

1st City chance- did Dier and Sanchez do anything to stop the chance that didn't go in? No.

2nd chance, Dier initially makes an easy block but in the process, gifts the ball to a city attacker who shoots wide. Was it Dier that stopped that shot going in?

Chance after Sons goal. Cross comes in, Sanchez nowhere near play. Initially Dier is nowhere near it either. Header comes back and Lloris beats Dier to the clearance with a punch that happens to go to Sanchez, who is still nowhere near the danger area, to clear.

The Grealish chance, slipped in past PEH and Tanganga. Sanchez comes across and fails to tackle or block. Dier 5 yards back and further across unlikely to be involved. Grealish hits it straight at Lloris. Nothing to do with Sanchez or Dier that Grealish doesn't score. And he should have scored there. Just a poorly judged shot.

So in one three minute video most of the chances City missed were nothing to do with Dier or Sanchez. And there were many more in the 90 minutes.

Still annoyed by this performance days later. We were fucked from the start with that god awful, utterly stupid team selection, compounded by Nuno's refusal/inability to change it and admit his cock-up.

I need to see something remotely attacking against Chelscum regardless of the result.

Not gonna happen. We'll sit back, probably hold out for a while and then as soon as we concede, we'll then get torn to shreds and concede another couple. Can't see anything other than a comfortable Chelsea win sadly. They were clearly saving some energy last night when you look at their performance.

Back
Top Bottom