Passionate Geordies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I live in Newcastle and don't think their fans are always as passionate as they make out. There's a bit of context to this in my opinion. For a start it's a one-club city so there's the Leeds scenario where there's noone else to divide the support.
Re the recent games at the Lane, away fans usually try and outsing the home fans in any football match as they're outnumbered so overcompensate. Also TV studios often turn up the volume on the pitchside mics next to away fans.
Where were all their fans when they went down to the first division in 2009 or the 90s? Just look at the attendances. A Fairs Cup (UEFA) in the 60's and a few FA Cups is the extent of their success too. I see blokes with Geordie accents wearing City, Woolwich and Chelsea shirts here walking around town or at 5-aside games, anecdotal but whatever.

I love the Geordies, they're friendly and lively people (my fairer half is one) but not when it comes to football.

Cheers....not sure I would fault their attendances for 2009 though..

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...wcastle-fans-smash-attendance-records-1413207

Cheers....not sure I would fault their attendances for 2009 though..

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...wcastle-fans-smash-attendance-records-1413207

Good find. I guess St James' capacity is 52,000 (which is like a Roman Colosseum in the Championship) and the article said their attendances were regularly 40,000 that season so even being 10,000 less than capacity is still a very good number, relatively compared to the size of grounds of clubs like us. So I spose I was comparing them to what they usually got. I do remember when they played clubs like Plymouth and there were visibly a lot of empty seats-which is anecdotal I know. I'd be interested if the figures in the article were counting actual 'bodies' in the ground or if any of them were just tickets sold giving margin for season ticket holders who didn't turn up etc. I know the Chronicle wouldn't be partisan in the slightest :pochsmirk:. Nah again good find though mate.

Him again, talking about Pardews departure
- guess with song he sang...?

I can see them being quite a bit worse without Pardew - they might not like him but he was effective at setting up his teams and often made subs that changed games.

Spose they've always got Ashley to blame after that...

My mate went down on a bird in a Newcastle phone box. She was so fat he was, in fact, outside the phone box.

It makes shudder just wanki...thinking about it.

Hoddle at Newcastle, oh dear. Cockney mafia again. Have to admit I laughed at that last video by the true geordie fella. "Four derby defeats in a row, that's fucking great. Keeps our feet on the ground."

said it before and ill say it again. they will only ever be happy if they have a geordie owner, with a complete geordie staff at the club, all geordie players with a geordie manager, and a newcastle based company as shirt sponsors, and win every game 90-nil.

and they will complain that the kits aint made by a geordie firm.

Back
Top Bottom