Passionate Geordies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fucking embaressing.
its only what everyone who goes, knows to be the case. In the 90s and noughties it was recognised as one of the rowdiest and most passionate places to play or visit.
Now WHL is universally recognised as being a seething cauldron of discontent and moaning.
Now the cost of attendance has gone up its filled with Smoked Salmon lovers rather than fish and chip people (yep the choice is deliberate) and they either know fuck all, or seem to think that they have a god given right to be entertained, rather than bother their arses to SUPPORT the team when its under the cosh, or encourage it to do better when the performances are weak.
That and the modern affliction of demanding instant gratification, coupled with a few years of having a reasonable level of league success, and EVERYONE now seems to think that its a given that they will have a team full of Modric/Bale/VDV standard players.
So yes, it is monumentally embarrassing. I'm glad that I saw the place when it was a matter of pride to be part of the support, not ashamed by it.

its only what everyone who goes, knows to be the case. In the 90s and noughties it was recognised as one of the rowdiest and most passionate places to play or visit.
Now WHL is universally recognised as being a seething cauldron of discontent and moaning.
Now the cost of attendance has gone up its filled with Smoked Salmon lovers rather than fish and chip people (yep the choice is deliberate) and they either know fuck all, or seem to think that they have a god given right to be entertained, rather than bother their arses to SUPPORT the team when its under the cosh, or encourage it to do better when the performances are weak.
That and the modern affliction of demanding instant gratification, coupled with a few years of having a reasonable level of league success, and EVERYONE now seems to think that its a given that they will have a team full of Modric/Bale/VDV standard players.
So yes, it is monumentally embarrassing. I'm glad that I saw the place when it was a matter of pride to be part of the support, not ashamed by it.

I am not ashamed by our team.

Chadli smashing birds left right a centre.

However - as legoboy has disagreed with my post - I know I must be on the right track.

- and on that note, keep knocking yourself out with the disagrees legoboy, everytime you do it I know I have pissed you off, and that makes me feel sooooo good.

off subject, but what is the history that makes everyone refer to Arcy as "lego boy"?
he has been discovered posting with the same boring monotony on a message board for lego fanatics.

which is the internet equivalent of being caught masturbating into your grandmothers underwear, on the embarrassment scale

Lot of issues here, support across the whole prem has been getting more and more tame, police, clubs and politicians can't tell the difference between passionate supporters and hooligans and treat them all the same, only a year ago there was 1882 being targeted by Haringey council and all that bollocks. You stand up and sing these days and some steward comes over as though we are fucking children, feel like the club wants it to be a sanitised family friendly but boring place. That's not to mention the ticket prices which will lead to the prawn sandwich people coming to our games instead of more working class type fans.

The football aspect is more complex I feel, we have gone from the crazy mid table counter attacking 4-4 score line days of the 90's and early 00's full of passion but bugger all defending to the days of constant new styles in the case of AVB a very boring style of football. The club feels unsettled, the football is not always entertaining and some of the players look as though they don't want to be there. The Redknapp 2 year success didn't help either as we temporarily became used to good football and winning and we judge everything by that.

Want the passion back, get the likes of Mason and Kane on the pitch players with ability but also heart who will fire up the crowd, give the manager some time and let him build the squad not Levy so the football can get to a good place and we can maybe play as a team and most of tell the stewards to fuck off and put the ticket prices down to a reasonable level so old fans can come back.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/05/tottenham-fan-group-atmosphere

Lot of issues here, support across the whole prem has been getting more and more tame, police, clubs and politicians can't tell the difference between passionate supporters and hooligans and treat them all the same, only a year ago there was 1882 being targeted by Haringey council and all that bollocks. You stand up and sing these days and some steward comes over as though we are fucking children, feel like the club wants it to be a sanitised family friendly but boring place. That's not to mention the ticket prices which will lead to the prawn sandwich people coming to our games instead of more working class type fans.

The football aspect is more complex I feel, we have gone from the crazy mid table counter attacking 4-4 score line days of the 90's and early 00's full of passion but bugger all defending to the days of constant new styles in the case of AVB a very boring style of football. The club feels unsettled, the football is not always entertaining and some of the players look as though they don't want to be there. The Redknapp 2 year success didn't help either as we temporarily became used to good football and winning and we judge everything by that.

Want the passion back, get the likes of Mason and Kane on the pitch players with ability but also heart who will fire up the crowd, give the manager some time and let him build the squad not Levy so the football can get to a good place and we can maybe play as a team and most of tell the stewards to fuck off and put the ticket prices down to a reasonable level so old fans can come back.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/05/tottenham-fan-group-atmosphere
good post, your middle paragraph mirrors my earlier thoughts.
as for the last, although Mason and Kane are doing well, they are not of the Modric, King, VDV or Bale standard and passion and enthusiasm will only take us so far. We need to unearth or buy someone special who will act as the galvanising catalyst that any of those mentioned so often became.

depends. my grandmother was proper sexy.
you don't need to tell me that
snob11-219x300.gif

When Woolwich or Chelsea visit and the default grumble is replaced by passionate support, White Hart Lane is vibrant. Much of the rest of the time it is a palace of whinge.

:eriksenlol:

This assumption that it's a whingey prawn sandwich brigade is bollocks. Most of the poisonous whingers I see are older fans and they definitely don't look like landed gentry. It's the old school fans that are the worst of the lot.

We need new blood but that won't happen with prices the way they are. Look at Palace as a perfect example of getting younger fans on board and creating atmosphere

I live in Newcastle and don't think their fans are always as passionate as they make out. There's a bit of context to this in my opinion. For a start it's a one-club city so there's the Leeds scenario where there's noone else to divide the support.
Re the recent games at the Lane, away fans usually try and outsing the home fans in any football match as they're outnumbered so overcompensate. Also TV studios often turn up the volume on the pitchside mics next to away fans.
Where were all their fans when they went down to the first division in 2009 or the 90s? Just look at the attendances. A Fairs Cup (UEFA) in the 60's and a few FA Cups is the extent of their success too. I see blokes with Geordie accents wearing City, Woolwich and Chelsea shirts here walking around town or at 5-aside games, anecdotal but whatever.

I love the Geordies, they're friendly and lively people (my fairer half is one) but not when it comes to football.

Back
Top Bottom