Paul Gascoigne

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As a footballer, he was a genius. As a human being, he doesn't seem to be able to control his excesses. Part of me feels sorry for him, the other part thinks he's an idiot for not taking all the chances he's been given to straighten himself out.

Probably mentioned this before, but will never, ever tire of seeing this. Think every Spurs supporter knows the commentary off by heart.
Remember having a row with the ex on the way home. One of our crowd asked if that game was better than sex. When I readily agreed, he got the hump. I should have quantified it by saying sex with him, that would have really put the cat amongst the pigeons !!

There's only so much other people can do and it's not like people haven't tried. He's a had a great deal more support and chances in rehab as a public figure than regular people fighting addiction will ever have. The last hurdle is his and his alone....and sadly it's now more apparent than ever that he just doesn't have the will or strength of personality to jump it.

It will be a sad day when Gazza passes, but with each relapse its seeming more and more inevitable.

I’m gonna say something that seems controversial,

Gazza is clearly a twat, he’s being domestically abusive, racially abusive and all his #Lad stories about being a #Lad make him sound like he was a right dickhead... bringing an ostrich to training, climbing over the wall to get the ball and coming back the next day, sticking his head under the ref’s armpit, big stupid ‘I’m hilarious’ smile in his full kit, eating crisps really fast on tv, pulling his shorts up to his chest etc etc

All these stories appear and there’s a plethora of ‘Gazza you legend’ ‘FFS, ROFL Gazza’a So funny’ etc etc

I find it genuinely uncomfortable. Seems to be if you were actually close to the guy he’d cause you nothing but pain, emotional and physical.

I’m gonna say something that seems controversial,

Gazza is clearly a twat, he’s being domestically abusive, racially abusive and all his #Lad stories about being a #Lad make him sound like he was a right dickhead... bringing an ostrich to training, climbing over the wall to get the ball and coming back the next day, sticking his head under the ref’s armpit, big stupid ‘I’m hilarious’ smile in his full kit, eating crisps really fast on tv, pulling his shorts up to his chest etc etc

All these stories appear and there’s a plethora of ‘Gazza you legend’ ‘FFS, ROFL Gazza’a So funny’ etc etc

I find it genuinely uncomfortable. Seems to be if you were actually close to the guy he’d cause you nothing but pain, emotional and physical.

I love Gazza for the memories. His incredible skill and his occasionally genuinely funny moments. I think if I had to be around him for any length of time he’d do my head in.

It’s difficult because he’s clearly troubled. I think his celebrity did a number on him, and retiring has robbed him of the high of playing and being the centre of attention. We can sympathise and occasionally empathise, but that doesn’t mean we have to condone his actions, even if some of those actions are beyond the control of a very ill man.

It’s an addiction, and addictions make people behave like pricks. It doesn’t excuse his behaviour; it simply provides further context.

I really hope he gets better, I still consider him a legend, I hate some of the things he’s done, and I suspect he’s a bit of a dick. None of that is contradictory.

I'd take Waddle over Gazza anyday. He was utterly obscenly good in his last season at Spurs. Worst decision to sell a player ever. In the days before Bosmsn and player power too so we didn't have to. I only saw Hoddle at the tail of his Spurs career but I think most would put him above Gazza too.
Waddle was a different type of player. Never a CM for a start. But that’s not to say he was not superb in 88/89 - was utterly sublime at times, his goal v Villa is one that sticks in my head.

Venables did not want to sell Waddle and I believe that they were offered 2 million so Venables said to go back and ask for 4 million (at the time it was huge money) and they ended up at 4.5 million. Venables, thinking all the money would come his way for team building, said yes. Sell him and thus Waddle went.

Turned out that Venables got about £800k for players and the board trousered the rest to prop up the failing commercial arms of Spurs.

Such a mess back then.

Back
Top Bottom