Paul Gascoigne

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just watched a documentary film about Bobby Robson and Gazza was interviewed. Not sure how old the documentary was, but Gazza looked truly dreadful. I do fear for his health, both physically and mentally.
Such a shame, he was such a joy to watch play.

I'm choosing not to quote the specific post of the individual, as to not lend any unneeded additional reading, but I have not found anything quite as distasteful on this forum as I do the response to Linnet_spur's post above. Violence towards women should be abhorrent to any man. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I would far prefer we kept our jokes to football.

Not only did I go to church, downloaded my 200 or so Take That photos and did my shopping before 2pm, I helped my BF pick out tiles for his bathroom and did most of the painting of my garden shed. Think I've earned a sit down today :). Enjoy the dvd

Makes my Sunday of 2 wanks and a sausage roll look slightly less productive now.

Way to put a downer on my day.

Sorry to plonk this in here but thought seeing how many of the last few posts related to The Sun and their reporting on Gazza kind of created a real backlash against the Sun on twitter, and not just from Spurs fans, I'd thought I'd pop this in here. We all know that they will continue doing it. I like how plop deals with them.

Could have posted it anywhere else tbh, get scared every single time I see this thread updated

Just watched both episodes of the new Gazza documentary on iPlayer. It’s pretty heart breaking from various angles, but his decline as a footballer and the breakdown of his family are so completely tragic. We saw the very best of him at Spurs when he was on top of his game and his life was on an upwards trajectory. Just left me feeling very sick and disgusted with the media and the fake pals around him.

The comment at the end from his sister that she wish he had been not quite so good at football so he could have just been left alone to do what he loved were very much to the point.

Just a massive tragedy all round.
I've zero interest in watching what he has become. I'll remember him as in that 90/91 season, something not quite real and so wonderfully bright it hurt your eyes.

Havent seen the documentary yet but I've always thought it's criminal what the media in this country can get away with.

England doesn’t lead the world in much but we’re streets ahead with our gutter press

Anything to do with Piers Morgan stinks

Utter cunt

If he hadn't played for us, nearly every poster on here would be calling him a sad waster, wife beating, kid tripping wanker.

Was a genius though and those couple of years were amazing, loved him..... so, as others have said, we'll always love and forgive him and of course feel sorry for him, surrounded by morons and 'so called mates', until he really needed them ..... should never ever have sold him. (or Waddle or Hoddle).

I know it's an illness, have experience of it first hand. All I am saying is that if he doesn't want to help himself, nobody can help him.
It is quite sad that he has hardly any substantial sober time under his belt and his excuse for relapsing is 'I was bored"
It's not easy to stay sober, it's not a piece of piss. However, life is not easy.
It's still a choice to use even though it's an illness.
Just because it's an illness doesn't mean it's an excuse to use because ' ahhh he's an addict/alcoholic'.
He's lucky enough to have lots of help, help that some will never get because they cannot get funding for rehab and cannot afford it.
He's lucky enough to have lots of support and not seen as some low life junkie/ alky like most.
However, he has enablers and his fame is also a hindrance.
Believe me I empathise with the man, I empathise with every addict.

The simple fact is he has to want to help himself and give himself a break. We all think he's worth it, he still seems to think he's not.
Recovery is not just about not using, and not using for a long time is not success, just as relapse -if you survive it -is not a sign of failure as relapse can jolt you into applying yourself better.
Recovering is all about change. You have to stop all the old behaviour, the dishonesty and self deceit etc. It's about personal growth. Apathy and procrastination are the biggest enemies of addicts/alcoholics in recovery as he will probably attest to.
Like I said, I'm sure Paul knows what he has to do to stay clean, and he has to apply himself vigorously to do it. He has had enough rehab & counselling to realise that. He'd probably say the same if you asked him.
I wish him luck.

I do find Twitter a dangerous tool in the wrong hands, and this just confirms it for me. As a footballer, Gazza was a genius. When he was younger, he was funny, lovable, 'daft as a brush' and got away with a lot of stuff because he was essentially a charming working class hero. The injury at the cup final was the start of the end for me, he never really recovered from that, although he still went to Italy and played for England and we saw the odd glimpse of the talent he possessed. I think that being left out of the World Cup squad by Hod probably pushed him over the edge and the constant media hounding would have made things so much worse. I don't like what he did to his family, never an excuse for beating up your wife and neglecting your children. People have done their utmost to help him with his addictions but at some stage, he has to want to help himself. Sounds like he has come to the end of the road. What a shame.

Back
Top Bottom