Paul Gascoigne

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Behaving like what? You've heard the prosecutions evidence (which the press obviously love to detail), but you haven't heard all of the evidence and accounts that the jury did.

The jury heard everything and decided he's not guilty, you can't just decide he is without all of the information.

This is exactly the reason we have a jury system and don't just let the mob/media decide.

Whether he is guilty or not wasn't the point I was arguing. The jury need to find him guilty beyond reasonable doubt to cast that verdict - you can still object to his behaviour (e.g., on moral grounds) and respect their verdict. I'm totally comfortable with my judgment about Gazza - I think it's sad but there's simply too much previous to position myself as a cheerleader for him on this one.

Have you looked at accounts of his behaviour? Does it strike you as sound? Honestly?

No, he's an alcoholic with mental illness's who needs help - not people on trains trying to set him up to sell their story to a newspaper.

Half of HMP the mount are substance abusers with mental health problems they get treated like the scum of the earth, it's ok when historic abusers like Gazza do scummy things tho because he's good at football and his sense of humour sometimes shines through.

Not guilty is not the same as innocent. In the US, and I’m fairly certain the same applies in the UK, a finding of not guilty means the prosecutor didn’t meet the burden of proof (beyond a reasonable doubt) that the accused was guilty of the charged crimes.

It is the same, it's not the defendants job to prove themselves innocent it's the prosecutions job to prove they are guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

It is the same, it's not the defendants job to prove themselves innocent it's the prosecutions job to prove they are guilty beyond reasonable doubt.
I didn’t say it’s the defendants duty to prove themselves innocent. The posts I quoted stated that the judge/jury declared someone innocent. That is incorrect.

It’s entirely possible that OJ killed his wife. By declaring him not guilty the jury is just stating that based on the facts presented that can’t say that he committed the crime beyond a reasonable doubt. If the burden of proof was lower than it’s possible the jury could convict him for the murder. For instance, he was found liable for both deaths in a civil trial where the burden is much lower than a criminal trial. In a civil trial the plaintiff only have to prove that it was more likely than not that the defendant is responsible for the act.

Didn’t we need the money so had to sell him?

May well have been the case but a club like Tottenham Hotspur should not be selling the most gifted players in the squad; how soon before the next exodus of the cream of the crop? It won’t be long me thinks.

On another note, Gazza is interviewed in this clip talking about when the England team had a "night out" before Euro 96:

Of course the newspaper shown is The Sun, a rag that is obsessed with tearing the England squad down at every opportunity.

They also mention that MP's at the time called for the players involved to be "excluded from the team" yes, wonderful idea, let's kick out most of the England team's best players for a night out drinking, fuck, maybe they should have been more concerned with running the country than what a sports team was doing.

Michael Sheen always seems to do a good job on portraying real people, but may be too old? Taron Egerton did well as Elton John and Eddie Edwards, so may be a better shout.

So who would be the ideal candidate as an actor to play Gazza ??
Jack O'Connell would be my choice but he's already played Bobby Charlton so I guess that's a non starter.

Yeah now you mention it.. could certainly play a young gazza!

I'm not sure anyone can play Gazza other than Gazza, he is just unique in too many ways.
It's a bit like Van Morrison, a lot of Irish artists have recorded versions of his songs for his 75th birthday but they only really work when the Belfast Cowboy is singing them.
I expect El Tel will want to play himself too.

Back
Top Bottom