Paul Gascoigne

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Paul Gascoigne needs help not glib judgments in battle with his demons | Daniel Taylor
2754.jpg

It hasn’t been easy looking at those front-page photographs of Paul Gascoignewith his face bashed up, scabbed and seeping, and remembering the last time I saw him in the flesh and how – wishful thinking, perhaps – I came away with the impression that maybe a semblance of order was gradually returning to his life.

What really pains me is how frail he looks, and the way his clothes are hanging off him. Gascoigne once had the most formidable backside in the industry. He was curved and chunky, like somebody had pumped him up. Now, everything he is wearing suddenly seems to have outgrown him by a size or two. He is 48 but he has the stoop of a much older man. He is wearing the unmistakable look of someone who has drunk to excess, and then some more, and it is jarring to think that a younger generation know him as this troubled, gaunt shell, rather than the brilliant, pink-faced lunatic – chip-fat grin, hair shorn behind the ears, rattling with nervous energy – who used to do rare things on a football pitch.

More fool me, though, for assuming he might finally have cracked it on the basis of one lucid night in January when he was back entertaining an audience, reminiscing about happier times, and so assured it seemed that for the first time in a long time he might be on top of everything.

It was An Evening with Paul Gascoigne, at the Royal Concert Hall in Nottingham, and if I am honest I did feel slightly apprehensive on the way to that event. Gascoigne has done other shows where he could barely string together a coherent sentence and on those occasions, if you had a single shred of human decency, you longed for someone to get him off stage.

His previous event was in Wolverhampton Civic Hall, where everything was fine, apparently, until he noticed a black security guard standing against a dark background. His attempt at a gag – “If you weren’t smiling, I wouldn’t be able to see you” – made it into the newspapers and, collecting my ticket in Nottingham, it was a peculiar mood. Nobody working there seemed to know what time he was on, or whether he would even turn up. “Expect anything,” one said.

As it turned out, he was on really good form, looking healthier than for a long while, sipping a glass of water, obviously enjoying being the centre of attention and laughing so hard he had to wipe the tears from his face during one story that, perhaps more than anything, summed up his impulsive streak.

It went back to the summer of 1988 when he was leaving Newcastle United and had promised Alex Ferguson over the phone that he would join Manchester United, only for Irving Scholar, the chairman of Tottenham Hotspur, to try to hijack the deal by offering a house if he moved to London instead. “Well, what you are fucking waiting for,” Gascoigne recalled his dad excitedly telling him. Except Gascoigne Sr then decided he also wanted a car – a private-registration BMW – and persuaded him to ring Scholar back. Scholar said he would sort it. Then word got round the family and Gazza’s phone rang again. This time it was his sister. “She said: ‘Well, if my mam’s got a new house and my dad’s got a car, I want a sunbed.’ So I rang Irving Scholar back again and I said: ‘Listen, you’ll never believe this, but one more thing – if I sign, will you buy my sister a sunbed?’” And that, according to Gascoigne, was what swung it. “The entire deal, done on a fucking sunbed.”

What might have happened differently in his life, perhaps, if he had moved to Old Trafford instead? Ferguson was so aggrieved he wrote him a letter calling him a “silly boy” and has said more than once that if Gascoigne had come under his wing he would not have encountered the same problems.

Yet that strikes me as an easy line. Ferguson’s management did not stop Paul McGrath or Ralph Milne, both playing in his team that season, spiralling into alcoholism. The manager’s influence did not halt Keith Gillespie’s descent into a gambling addiction in later years. In fact, Gillespie used to be a runner for Ferguson, placing bets for his manager and then picking up a hefty tip if the right horse came in.

The truth is that none of us can say for certain what will happen next with Gascoigne but, equally, I hope that when the Sun printed those photographs he didn’t bother reading the expert diagnosis of its resident doctor, Carol Cooper – or, if he did, that he has enough people around him to remind him how pleasant it might be to disprove her verdict. “I fear he’s too far gone,” Cooper helpfully volunteers. “The final whistle can’t be far away.” An alcohol counsellor I know has snipped out that article for future reference; he intends to cite it as exactly the sort of thing a doctor should not say – especially when the patient might be reading it.

We are all entitled to be fearful, of course. “Where did it all go wrong?” George Best was famously once asked. Except, in Gazza’s case, there isn’t a scantily clad Miss World and hotel bed covered in banknotes to form the punchline. For now, it is a bottle of gin, a face filled with blood and the permanent knowledge that for every taxi he falls out of, every lost night and every lapse, there will always be someone clicking on a cameraphone to make a few quid.

But there is a network around him. There are qualified people trying to help and there are plenty of other ex-pros who have apparently hit rock bottom, drinking to the point where it was endangering their lives, but who have come out the other side.

I think of Gary Charles, another former England player, who went to prison and endured all the ravages of alcoholism before turning his life around so admirably, now working as the director of football at Nottingham University as well as devoting his career to helping sports people with addictions. It is coming up for 25 years since Gascoigne scythed down Charles in the 1991 FA Cup final and suffered the self-inflicted injury that put his career into descent. The two speak. Lots of people speak to Gascoigne. There is, if nothing else, no shortage of people who care and want to help. And it is not too late, no matter what some rent-a-quote doctor says.

What he doesn’t need is condemnation, or early obituaries, or something else I’ve noticed: the tendency of people to say that it is time to give up because of the way, every so often, he seems to slide back to square one in a real-life game of snakes and ladders. Nobody said it was going to be easy, or that there wouldn’t be setbacks. It doesn’t work that way with addictions.

It rankles that to a lot of these people Gascoigne is the messed-up bloke who, coked off his head, took chicken and a fishing rod to the Raoul Moat police manhunt rather than how you or I might recall him, as the kind of footballer who made you quicken your step on the way to the ground. Because what a player that lad was. “He could head the ball, pass it, dribble with it, shoot and he’d train all day,” Sir Bobby Robson once said. “He drove his managers mad, of course, because he never lost that precociousness, his cocky stupidity, his willingness to do anything in search of a quick laugh. But he remained so popular because he was such an innocent.”

His behaviour crossed the line more times than anyone can possibly remember but, even then, Gascoigne always had that uncommon quality that even a mention of his name could make people smile. Indeed, it is not easy to think there have been many more popular English footballers. “There is something strangely appealing about him,” Ferguson wrote in his 1999 autobiography. “Perhaps it is his vulnerability. You feel you might want to be an older brother or a father to him. You might want to shake him, or give him a cuddle, because there is certainly something infectious that gets you involved with him.”

This was the player who injured himself – and this never came out at the time – by falling from one of the stands at White Hart Lane. He always thought he was invincible, Gazza, and he had climbed up with an air-gun over his shoulder to take aim at a pigeon in the rafters. Gascoigne didn’t just want to shoot that pigeon, he wanted to blow its head off. He was right by it when his finger moved to the trigger. It flew away – and he got such a start he dropped 20ft to the floor.

The most expensive footballer in Britain missed the next match with a wrecked shoulder and, going back to that night in Nottingham, he told another story that is worth recounting, about a day trip to London Zoo on one of his first adventures after moving south. Gascoigne, the big kid, was so excited he could not sleep the night before. He ended up stealing an ostrich, putting it in a Tottenham shirt (the No8) and driving to the Spurs training ground in Cheshunt with it in the back seat. “Can you imagine the looks we were getting at traffic lights?,” he wanted to know, and he was heaving with laughter again. “There’s kids pointing. ‘Mam, is that Gazza? It’s Gazza!’ Then they’d look in the back seat. ‘It’s Gazza – and he’s got an ostrich!’”

You have to laugh, even if you are left wondering what happened to the poor ostrich. Gascoigne always wanted to make people smile, to entertain and spread fun, and though he often got it wrong it is one of the reasons why it is so hard watching someone with all that precious magic locked in an illness that is always trying to pull him beneath the surface.

“I’ve done really well for 11 months,” Gascoigne said, in comments that didn’t make any front pages. “I have one blip and I get hammered for it.” Eleven months for someone that vulnerable is worthy of acclaim and I haven’t seen too much, even before he lapsed into old ways. “I am back on track now,” he added, and let’s hope he means it. Gascoigne was 33 when he was diagnosed as an alcoholic and 15 years later, no matter how rough it gets, he is still ours. Don’t give up on him.

I've always believed the ferguson would have controlled him theory..but the bit Ive put in bold is, for me, what now seems to have been the problem. His family. fucking leeches

I was lucky to see Gazza play in the flesh. He was a great. No doubt. He was not as good as Hoddle in central midfield though, although due to my age I saw a lot more of Gazza than Hoddle.

Gazza was explosive in midfield and could win you games all by himself and that probably is stating the obvious, but wow at times what a player.

However, as a person he has always bothered me a bit. For example he seems to have joined Spurs only because they offered him a better deal than United did ( I seem to recall it was a house or a sun bed or some other bollocks that was key ) that's insulting as back in 88 Spurs were every inch a match for United and Gazza was coming from Newcastle so It should have been an absolute honor to join Spurs in that period not a gag and something he suggests happened due to a cheap bung.

Moving on, he went to Lazio after a great stint for us where our fans absolutely loved him. But he was not ever gooey eyed about leaving Spurs...his last ever game for us being a reserve run out where I, I'm told, that upon scoring he ran into puddle and shouted "splish splosh lots of dosh" funny perhaps, but not funny to our club who lost millions on his knee injury and also did everything they could to keep him once the club had been sold and re financed ! Gazza did not want to know about staying. That's not a lot of love towards our fans, different era when loyalty was a tad more common.

So Gazza left. Sad to see it end we all were .especially with Dozzell in midfield as his replacement....fucking hell !

But since leaving us and for the past 25 years Gazza has done some awful shit to others and also added to his legacy by joining various clubs simply for the money, wasted a lot of his career at places like Boro and Rangers, that's very sad.

Today the man is ill and he needs help. however his addiction won't be cured. It is managed and addiction does not warrant sympathy, more recognition and acceptance. Acceptance that he will fail. And needs to keep getting up afterwards. That must be hard and the press are pricks for reporting it, it is not news worthy.

From what I see / read Spurs do a lot to look after him and that's credit to us, I question if Rangers or Boro or Everton match what Spurs do in terms of support....maybe if Gazza did not leave Spurs then it might have turned out better for him, certainly better more so than joining that other fucking old drunk Ferguson, who has constantly been wining how Gazza should have joined United for nearly 30 years. Rotten old bastard Ferguson is. Fucked us in 85 after agreeing to be our manager and has been twisting the knife ever since.

Gazza is an emotionally weak, intellectually limited man. On top of that, he had the world and now has pretty much nothing. His life is miserable and he doesn't have the emotional strength or intellectual ability to find a way beyond his current situation. As a result it is abundantly clear that he suffers from depression and probably other mental health issues. I understand what it's like to try and pick yourself up after a huge fall from grace, especially when you have a void that nothing else can fill.

I fear for him greatly, but I know he's trying. While he lives I will stay behind him. If he dies I will mourn him with great sadness.

He was a genius with a football, but an idiot off the pitch. He was indulged because of his talent, and he is like a naughty but charming child, who gets away with stuff, just because of his personality. If he hadn't been a footballer, he would have been a 'Jimmy-Five-Bellies' character. I still wouldn't wish what he's going through on my worst enemy, but at some stage, you have to take some responsibility on what you put in your body and how you act.

He was a genius with a football, but an idiot off the pitch. He was indulged because of his talent, and he is like a naughty but charming child, who gets away with stuff, just because of his personality. If he hadn't been a footballer, he would have been a 'Jimmy-Five-Bellies' character. I still wouldn't wish what he's going through on my worst enemy, but at some stage, you have to take some responsibility on what you put in your body and how you act.

He's obviously mentally ill. I know it's easy to parrot the 'take responsibility' line and I often do myself, but when someone is so obviously ill, I think it's hard to judge wether they are really in a position to take care of themselves or 'take responsibility'.

He's had problems since he was 8 when he looked up at the stars, saw they were going on forever, worried about death and ran home crying. He said that's where his OCD started. Blaming himself for two deaths has also damaged him a lot and without football he has gone further downhill. I do wonder if a coaching course and a coaching role somewhere would give him some direction and purpose.

Gascoigne is the definition of why placing footballers, in specific, on pedestals is foolish.

There are a multitude of talented football players who are probably ideal role models but they aren't Gascoigne. They don't have the difference between a good player and a truly great, and for that reason Gascoigne has spent the majority of his life as a lonely and sad individual....because he has an innate ability and people worshipped him for it.

For any player but for one so unstable, the idea of all that being taken away is too much to bear.

As a Spurs supporter for 55 yrs I can say that Gazza was one of the greatest players to have pulled on our shirt during this time and he gave me and countless other fans enormous pleasure.

Pointless comparing him to Hoddle as they were totally different types of player but I could compare to Dave Mackay who was my idol as a boy and I couldn't give him a higher compliment than that.
(I can also see similarities with Alli!)

I'm talking about footballing ability and delivery alone.

He is mentally ill and an alcoholic and always will be.

Let's leave it at that, keep our fingers crossed for him and remember the pleasure he gave us all.

Very tired of people, especially Spurs fans, being negative about some of the things he's done or allegedly done.

Would these same people criticise a 'Tourette's' sufferer for being loud........?

:gazza:

He's mentally ill. It is society's responsibility to look after the mentally ill. It's obvious to everyone he can't look after himself so the responsibility line in regards to himself doesn't wash with me.

That being said, him knocking his wife about was whitewashed over horribly and doesn't sit right with me. Although on the other hand she did seem to profit from it in the end so I can't imagine the emotional scars were too heavy and she seems to still care for him.

To be honest I don't think he ever will be right again.. He has too many demons in that heed of his..
It's such a pity. Amongst all his endearing traits, there are a number of deeply unpleasant & worrying ones. People keep saying he needs help, but it's always one step forward & 2 steps back with Gazza. Like you say, he's probably never going to get right.

Not going to condone the "joke", but it seems a bit harsh. The world and it's dog knows the man is struggling, is not sound in the head and is not the smartest guy out there. I doubt he meant any harm or offense.
Are we too politically correct when the laws like this cannot demonstrate some flexibility when it is obviously needed!

Are we too politically correct when the laws like this cannot demonstrate some flexibility when it is obviously needed!
I'm sure a warning would've sufficed. You know, the law is the law and it's perfectly correct that he can be charged, and the police and CPS need to be consistent, but I just feel that maybe the only true consequence of such a thing is to probably drive him back onto another extended drinking binge, which in his state could literally cost him his life. Plus this comes after the CPS originally decided not to charge, so it feels like there's some jobsworth behind the scene trying to push this through.

I pretty much lost all respect for Paul Gascoigne after it was brought to light that he regularly beat the shit out of his wife and sometimes his stepkids I understand he is also a victim and not just the perpetrator in these acts but I have no love for him as a man and struggle sometimes to understand the hero worship he receives and the endless second chances hes given although I understand the sympathy because I share it.

Back
Top Bottom