Paul Gascoigne

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd take Waddle over Gazza anyday. He was utterly obscenly good in his last season at Spurs. Worst decision to sell a player ever. In the days before Bosmsn and player power too so we didn't have to. I only saw Hoddle at the tail of his Spurs career but I think most would put him above Gazza too.
Waddle was a different type of player. Never a CM for a start. But that’s not to say he was not superb in 88/89 - was utterly sublime at times, his goal v Villa is one that sticks in my head.

Venables did not want to sell Waddle and I believe that they were offered 2 million so Venables said to go back and ask for 4 million (at the time it was huge money) and they ended up at 4.5 million. Venables, thinking all the money would come his way for team building, said yes. Sell him and thus Waddle went.

Turned out that Venables got about £800k for players and the board trousered the rest to prop up the failing commercial arms of Spurs.

Such a mess back then.

I'd take Waddle over Gazza anyday. He was utterly obscenly good in his last season at Spurs. Worst decision to sell a player ever. In the days before Bosmsn and player power too so we didn't have to. I only saw Hoddle at the tail of his Spurs career but I think most would put him above Gazza too.
having been with Spurs since 1968, got to say (didn't see Jimmy at his prime) Gazza was the best player for ability to change a game on his own, Hoddle was a good player but it took the arrival of ozzie to get the best of Hoddle most games, Waddle was a good player but again he needed good players around him

He was so brilliant at times but not for long enough to have been the great player with justification that his talent merited.

In my view he was a truly great player capable of turning a game that was going against us in an instant

Hope he’s lost his demons now

Unfortunately spent 12 hours in police custody the other day for being drunk and disorderly. Such a shame as he looked better at Wembley for the last game of the season.

Shame. To be brutally honest I don't think he has looked well recently, he's lost a lot of muscle mass and appears pretty gaunt. I suspect he'll always have his ups and downs though I hope he manages to conquer his demons.

Unfortunately spent 12 hours in police custody the other day for being drunk and disorderly. Such a shame as he looked better at Wembley for the last game of the season.

As I've said before on here, I personally know of his terrible behaviour (repeatedly, not a one-off) to doctors and nurses in an A&E department. It's alcoholism and it's bloody horrible, we would all hope Paul can one day conquer it but it's been going on a long time now. Still a hero to me for his actions on the pitch but, sadly, a flawed hero.

I thought he'd looked loads healthier recently. Just looked like a man who got old, rather than one who was seriously ill, like he has done for a number of years. I genuinely thought he'd sorted himself out

Unfortunately, I hate to say it but I doubt he ever will.

He’s the reason why I started watching footie and following Spurs but I just can’t see a happy ending for him, very tragic.

Back
Top Bottom