Paul Gascoigne

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I do find Twitter a dangerous tool in the wrong hands, and this just confirms it for me. As a footballer, Gazza was a genius. When he was younger, he was funny, lovable, 'daft as a brush' and got away with a lot of stuff because he was essentially a charming working class hero. The injury at the cup final was the start of the end for me, he never really recovered from that, although he still went to Italy and played for England and we saw the odd glimpse of the talent he possessed. I think that being left out of the World Cup squad by Hod probably pushed him over the edge and the constant media hounding would have made things so much worse. I don't like what he did to his family, never an excuse for beating up your wife and neglecting your children. People have done their utmost to help him with his addictions but at some stage, he has to want to help himself. Sounds like he has come to the end of the road. What a shame.

Remember meeting him a few times late 80s, first time just before his England debut at Kings Cross, got him to sign an article in the paper from Frank Worthington calling for him to play, last time was just before his move to Italy at Stevenage station when he was with his mrs and her kids and he couldnt have been any nicer, thanked him for THAT free kick and he that took time to chat and introduce me to them all and seemed so happy.

Heartbreaking to see him like this.

I hate Twitter but this is nothing to do with it; this is a man who is as close to beaten as you can get.

It's a horribly exposed, drawn out death, and one that is inevitable, in fact it is amazing he is still alive.

Gutting but he has had so many chances, and so much support (more than is usual at least). Wish him the very best but it will take more than that.

The problem with Gazza is he has had mental problems since he was about 8 years old. He had also blamed himself for two friend's deaths which has massively fucked him up.

Watched this at the weekend for the first time since it was shown as a special on channel 4 in the mid 1990's. Still to this day Channel 4's and James Richardson's football coverage (Serie A) has not been bettered.

Watched this at the weekend for the first time since it was shown as a special on channel 4 in the mid 1990's. Still to this day Channel 4's and James Richardson's football coverage (Serie A) has not been bettered.

How he didn't make it into one of the really prime football shows is beyond me. He could have e.g. anchored ITV football for decades and given the Beeb a run for it's licence fee payers' money.

How he didn't make it into one of the really prime football shows is beyond me. He could have e.g. anchored ITV football for decades and given the Beeb a run for it's licence fee payers' money.
This constantly bugs me.
He's so far ahead of the hosts of the vast majority of British games that it's startling. Perhaps he didn't make the right 'friends' in high places from the 90s onwards? Or was seen as too jokey/dangerous for the job.
Or maybe their desperation to keep shoving former players (many of whom talk constant shite) and 'faces of the channel' (i.e. Adrian Chiles) in punditry panels left no room for Richardson.

People who run television are lowest-common-denominator morons.

...and once again, I see the Gascoigne thread bumped to the first page and immediately think summit awful has inevitably happened!

They've probably had to airbrush it out, and try not make too many mentions of his time at Spurs, for fear of offending anyone who doesn't support us, and might give the film a miss!

Weren't a lot of his best performances in our shirt?
Didn't an opposition fan throw a Mars bar at him and call him a fat cunt when he was about to take a corner? And he picked it up, unwrapped it, ate it and took the corner?

Last edited:
Weren't his a lot of his best performances in our shirt?
Didn't an opposition fan throw a Mars bar at him and call him a fat cunt when he was about to take a corner? And he picked it up, unwrapped it, ate it and took the corner?

He did, I think it was against Everton? Genius on the pitch, without doubt the best player I have ever seen play and his seasons at spurs were just pure class. The injury in the cup final meant he never reached the dizzy heights again and sadly for him there were too many hangers on off the pitch, including his wife and kids, who were victims of his appalling behaviour, but were still happy to trade on his name for their own gain.......

Weren't his a lot of his best performances in our shirt?
YUP!
YUP AGAIN... I'm pretty sure it was against Newcastle in a 2-2 draw (his first game for us)... I was up at St James and remember the reaction from the entire stadium, you could actually hear laughter...!! ...it was only a week later that he scored at WHL against ArseAnal with only his sock, 'cos his boot fell off in the build up to the goal!

Quite a good first impression I'd say!

Oh the great memories of Paul Gascoigne, I only ever saw Gazza play for England and for Everton at WHL but never for Spurs. We gave Gazza a standing ovation went he was subbed.

But I will never ever forget that free kick for as long as I live. I was only 13yrs old and mum decided to go shopping and we got stuck in traffic on the way back. When we fot home I ran to the lounge and switched on the TV just as Gazza ran towards the ball......GOAL. I screamed when that ball hit the back of the net.

My poor mum dropped the shopping ran into the house to see me dancing with joy.

YUP!
YUP AGAIN... I'm pretty sure it was against Newcastle in a 2-2 draw (his first game for us)... I was up at St James and remember the reaction from the entire stadium, you could actually hear laughter...!! ...it was only a week later that he scored at WHL against ArseAnal with only his sock, 'cos his boot fell off in the build up to the goal!
Quite a good first impression I'd say!

Yes I think you are right, it was Newcastle

Everton was mabbutt having sweets chucked at him with a loveable scouser stating ' eat those you spastic' class scouse humour at play there.

I saw gazza play for spurs at old Trafford, he took the piss out of United's midfield in every way for the entire match, Bryan Robson could not even get near him to make a tackle

When he came off he got an ovation from the united fans, I knew this as me and my dad were stood in the Stretford end!! No colours that day although the mancs around us knew we were spurs, I suppose grinning at each other when spurs ran out and not clapping when united ran out was probably a give away!

None of this walking out and handshake bollocks back then!!

Back
Top Bottom