Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
Levy is doing what he does with players with managers now.

Goes for the top choice, decides it's too much because he can't wheel and deal his way into making them join us, then he goes for second choice, same issue, then he just goes for whomever he can get cheaper and will be happy to get the job and kiss his bald fucking arse.

Absolute con artist.

I wonder what this mob was saying
when Pochettino was hired from Southampton? Same tune as this?

I'm just happy that it seems that we are getting a new coach that plays attractive football. We wouldn't win any titles next year with Conte, Pep or Klopp either. So looking forward to watching Spurs games will be something that I'm looking forward to.

Everybody also is pointing at Levy. I'm pretty sure this is the new DoFs appointment.

I regret the last hour of my life reading all the melts bullshit on here.
Everytime Levy makes a stupid penny pinching unambitious decision that has disaster written all over it and people contest it for valid reasons we get the defenders coming out in force calling people melts.

Fair play to Daniel, he really has created a cult at this club, I would be impressed if he wasn't destroying the football club I have loved for 30+ years before my very eyes.

His penny pinching will backfire, yet again, this time he will blame the DOF and his cult fanbase will also blame the DOF and shift blame away from Daniel, rinse and repeat etc.

Bringing in a manager with a poor defensive record to a team that also can’t defend

John Cena Wtf GIF by WWE

From the guardian:

“It is understood that the Tottenham chairman, Daniel Levy, and Paratici, who won 19 trophies in his 11 years as sporting director at Juventus, are keen to appoint an experienced manager capable of working with the existing squad.”

God help us all.
Today:
Europa League Football GIF by UEFA

In September after a double training session:

Phone Call Vintage GIF by US National Archives

"hello, Alasdair?...it's me again"

Last edited:
Good article on Fonseca

These quotes from Roma players give me some encouragment. At least they think Fonseca is a good coach, even when he not's picking them on a regular basis.

------------------------

His players do appear to forge a strong connection with him. Henrikh Mkhitaryan, who played for Fonseca at Roma and also under a certain current Chelsea boss at Borussia Dortmund, believes there is a comparison to be made there.
""He is similar to [Thomas] Tuchel, he is trying to put the players in the right position, giving them the freedom to enjoy their style of play," said the midfielder.
"I've had the best coaches in my career and I've learned a lot not only about the game of football, but also about life. Even now that I am 32 years old I want to learn, because I want to know a lot about football and about life."
On Fonseca's style of play, he added: "We play differently depending on who we face, especially when we have the ball. Sometimes we have to stay tight, other times we have to stay wide. It depends on the game and the situation.
"It's not about the position you start the game in, it's about the space. We try to use the space to create opportunities for ourselves and for our teammates. The most important thing is the chemistry between the players, because if you have chemistry you can do different things
Even long-serving Roma full-back Alessandro Florenzi, who found game time hard to come by under Fonseca, said: "That's something that's fundamental for me, respect for people and their work. The coach was very clear about this.
"Fonseca is one of the greatest coaches I've had in football. The problem is that he might not like me in that particular role and that he expects something else from me. I have a great relationship with him and he clearly told me that he didn't know how much space he could give me."
Fonseca, who speaks good English, has previously admitted he dreams of working in the Premier League.
One key point for Tottenham and Levy will be that praise for the Portuguese from outside of his clubs often centres on him making the best he can from what he's got.
Former Milan midfielder Massimo Ambrosini said this season of Fonseca's Roma: "I like the calmness, the balance, the desire to always try to lead the games. Last year he had the ability to compact the environment with the many injuries. He didn't manage to put his work into practice in full, but he deserved to be reappointed.
"He's a modern coach, he doesn't focus on a single idea, he tries to make the most of what he has available. I still think Roma are very strong. They're well built."
Fonseca also enjoys developing younger players, having given Diogo Jota his debut as a teenager at Portuguese side Pacos de Ferreira, and he has never been afraid of using younger talents at any of his sides, which could bode well for the likes of Oliver Skipp and Ryan Sessegnon next season.

At least he is attacking. I was expecting someone like Potter, so don't really understand the melting on here. I don't know what calibre of manager people were expecting.
Look forward to a new reign.

Fucking hell...We can moan about all we like but whatever is going to happen will happen and there's nothing that any of us on here can do about...what's wrong with just enjoying the fucking ride?

After what happened yesterday as fans we need to really get behind whoever is the manager. I dont k ow how anyone else feels but seeing that really upset me because Eriksen is a spurs legend. At the forefront of what this great club has become. Considered amongst the Elite clubs. He will sadly never play again. Retire 23. We need to as fans draw a line and really get the positivity around the whole club back. The fans always drive that

Back
Top Bottom