Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
Why not give it to Ryan Mason if Fonseca is the best that Levy can do!

I made a decision last season to end my 50 year support for the club I once loved, and this appointment confirms I made the right decision. While Levy is there the club will fail. He has destroyed the club. Relegation beckons next season.

I'll say it quietly. I think he will do well. Think his outlook matches the clubs DNA. I couldnt give a shit if hes not a big name. If he buys into the clubs history, moves on the deadwood I'll get behind him.

Another red flag. Managers/head coaches rely heavily on their assistants. Look what happened to Jose without Rui Faria.
My thoughts exactly. I was warming to the idea, but this is starting to smell pretty funky.

It's unlikely, but if this is to keep Mason in that position, then that would pretty much ruin this guy's chances of earning any respect from me.

The way it's worded sounds like Campos himself wants to part ways, not so much us rejecting him? It will make Fonseca's debut here even more challenging since it's yet another new thing to take on, but I don't think it's a bad idea to refresh assistants - that's something SAF did all the time. I believe Villa last season benefited from bringing in John Terry (vomit), and at least some of Gerrard's success is down to Michael Beale.

Personally I think it'll be good to get him a backroom staff familiar with this league. I've also heard that Fonseca likes it when he's challenged by his staff, so a differing viewpoint wouldn't be a bad thing. What I worry about is really the fitness team - I think that was one of Mourinho's weaknesses, and Serie A's fitness levels aren't as demanding either, so we need to find a new team there.

I’ll support him, and that Twitter thread posted a few pages back is very encouraging, the guy seems to be a winner!

Im not anti-Levy - he has brought the club on leaps and bounds in the last decade, the recent lack of investment is understandable considering the pandemic and cost of finalizing the new stadium - to be fair we broke the club record transfer fee for Tanguy not long ago. I find those who are ‘Levy out’ to be overly emotional, somewhat irrational, and not having much business sense.

Very curious to see how the Levy, Paratici, Fonseca triumvirate will pan out.

Last edited:
The way it's worded sounds like Campos himself wants to part ways, not so much us rejecting him? It will make Fonseca's debut here even more challenging since it's yet another new thing to take on, but I don't think it's a bad idea to refresh assistants - that's something SAF did all the time. I believe Villa last season benefited from bringing in John Terry (vomit), and at least some of Gerrard's success is down to Michael Beale.

Personally I think it'll be good to get him a backroom staff familiar with this league. I've also heard that Fonseca likes it when he's challenged by his staff, so a differing viewpoint wouldn't be a bad thing. What I worry about is really the fitness team - I think that was one of Mourinho's weaknesses, and Serie A's fitness levels aren't as demanding either, so we need to find a new team there.
Terry has been with Smith and Villa since their promotion season. Yes Beale is the brains behind Gerrard and is very influential and highly rated but again they have been together since Gerrard started management. Gerrard would be lost without Beale.

I'm not sure what kind of a coach Fonseca is. Does he count on matchdays to exert his influence and allows more responsibility to his assistant to train the team or is he someone who himself works hard on the training ground during the week to get his message across. Is he more Redknapp or more Poch like

I made a decision last season to end my 50 year support for the club I once loved, and this appointment confirms I made the right decision. While Levy is there the club will fail. He has destroyed the club. Relegation beckons next season.

We won't get relegated

Ended after 50nyears? Wow. That's bad and levy should know this but....he won't give a shit.
Don'tgive up mate. I remember when I was young and we were doing badly and got relegated and 8 said to my mum I wanted to support another team and she said no. Absolutely not. You pick your team and stick with them through thick and thin.
Wise words and I've never once thought about giving up on them. I hope you have a change of heart mate. I really do.

I’ll support him, and that Twitter thread posted a few pages back is very encouraging, the guy seems to be a winner!

Im not anti-Levy - he has brought the club on leaps and bounds in the last decade, the recent lack of investment is understandable considering the pandemic and cost of finalizing the new stadium - to be fair we broke the club record transfer fee for Tanguy not long ago. I find those who are ‘Levy out’ to be overly emotional, somewhat irrational, and not having much business sense.

Very curious to see how the Levy, Paratici, Fonseca triumvirate will pan out.
The thing with levynis, he's all business and forgets that a football club is not just a business ....it's a lifestyle, an addiction, an emotional attachment that he will never understand. If only he had some modicum understanding of this then maybe he'd make better decisions.

Just look at this fucking Charlie..

YajJhSm.png

I curse the slime you slither on, Daniel Levy.

Ended after 50nyears? Wow. That's bad and levy should know this but....he won't give a shit.
Don'tgive up mate. I remember when I was young and we were doing badly and got relegated and 8 said to my mum I wanted to support another team and she said no. Absolutely not. You pick your team and stick with them through thick and thin.
Wise words and I've never once thought about giving up on them. I hope you have a change of heart mate. I really do.
Very little thick but my god plenty of thin.

The thing with levynis, he's all business and forgets that a football club is not just a business ....it's a lifestyle, an addiction, an emotional attachment that he will never understand. If only he had some modicum understanding of this then maybe he'd make better decisions.
What is the alternative though? Anyone who runs the club will be a businessman, from what I’ve seen Levy really cares about the club and is actually both emotionally and financially invested in things. I just don’t see what people think will happen if Levy and ENIC clear out? Do we think some billionaire Spurs fan celebrity with a heart of gold is going to appear out of nowhere? No, it will likely be another consortium who are quite cold and business-like. The happy go lucky chairmen which some are idealizing tend to be involved with small time clubs, which we aren’t! There is nothing wrong with demanding the best from those running the club but people need to get realistic.

Terry has been with Smith and Villa since their promotion season. Yes Beale is the brains behind Gerrard and is very influential and highly rated but again they have been together since Gerrard started management. Gerrard would be lost without Beale.

I'm not sure what kind of a coach Fonseca is. Does he count on matchdays to exert his influence and allows more responsibility to his assistant to train the team or is he someone who himself works hard on the training ground during the week to get his message across. Is he more Redknapp or more Poch like
Yeah, I mixed up my seasons but I just mean that Villa brought together Smith and Terry, rather than him being someone that followed Smith throughout his career. Gerrard and Beale are also at the level I'd probably prioritize taking Beale over him and would worry if we tried to get Gerrard on his own. I'm not sure about this guy with Fonseca - none of us are hugely impressed by Fonseca's CV, so I don't think it's a bad idea to change up that staff. He would have to be very accommodating to be willing to go to a whole new country without a familiar face though.

Here's a video of his assistants explaining what they do at Roma:

Based on that and the documentary clips I've seen, I think Fonseca likes to be hands-on on the training pitch - he seems to lead a lot of the attacking drills, leaving the defending to his assistants. Which, given Roma's defending last season, I think I really would rather have different assistants :roflmao: I know there's also another matchday assistant whose job is to sit up high and compile tactical clips for halftime.

I've already read somewhere that the fitness and medical team were provided by Roma, and that was one of their biggest issues last season. But I'm not sure I have more confidence in our team :unsure:

This seems odd...

Not sure what to make of it. Maybe we can get Conte's 7 staff member???

:levyeyes:

The idea of an assistant Manager is to take over if the Manager is unavailable. That just has not happened since Martin Jol. Clearly Mourinho's assistant was not even considered as good as Mason as he was not put in charge until the end of the season.

Back
Top Bottom