Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
Honestly, if we'd hired Paratici before the season ended, held a press conference with him and Levy making clear that Levy was stepping back from the day-to-day of transfer bullshit and handling the reins to Paratici to build an attacking, possession-based squad to link up with our academy and our club's culture and DNA, and that the resources made available by our new stadium would be brought to bear in that effort, and then Paratici had gone out and hired Fonseca during the week after the season ended, I would be excited about the new direction and talking myself into Fonseca who does at the very least fit the brief.

We've done the exact opposite of all of that, in terms of giving us as fans reasons to give anyone the benefit of the doubt in any of this.

Every year since that fuck-up with Woolwich on St. Totteringham's day, I believed every season that we are gonna win the league or at least challenge for it. We were so good truly under Pochettino.

I don't know if the Fonseca is the right guy, though I liked him at Shakhtar, but I will still believe. And it feels good to have a manager, not Mason, not no manager, but some sort of manager.

Good luck, Paulo!

Ten Hag got his automatic extension with Overmars saying he had gotten offers, Conte went public, Poch got an automatic extension with the chairman coming out publicly... this guy reminds me of you...

Rodgers is also looking to be getting backed with some really smart buys, and it looks like Potter may be getting a step up with Everton too.

winning charlie sheen GIF

Honestly, if we'd hired Paratici before the season ended, held a press conference with him and Levy making clear that Levy was stepping back from the day-to-day of transfer bullshit and handling the reins to Paratici to build an attacking, possession-based squad to link up with our academy and our club's culture and DNA, and that the resources made available by our new stadium would be brought to bear in that effort, and then Paratici had gone out and hired Fonseca during the week after the season ended, I would be excited about the new direction and talking myself into Fonseca who does at the very least fit the brief.

We've done the exact opposite of all of that, in terms of giving us as fans reasons to give anyone the benefit of the doubt in any of this.
Precisely.

I hate branding & PR & all that bullshit, but Levy has done Fonseca's legs in the "presentation" of this.

Failed pursuit after failed pursuit of big names.

Publishing a Job Description for an offensive-minded head coach keen to develop young players, then targeting the exact opposite type for a week.

No official announcement of Paratici, and thus no bigging up of this "Juve mastermind" who can "transform our football club".

Instead a vacuum of information filled by "Spurs hire the manager who was sacked for the manager they sacked" (not quite true, but not challenged so widely believed), and "Spurs hire Number 92 on their manager short list". Etc etc.

I thank everyone on TFC who has found videos & articles about Fonseca , his tactics, his relationships with players, and allowed us to make a more honest, informed, judgement about him. I'm somewhat encouraged by what I've seen there.

If Levy had published his JD, then announced the new DoF Paratici, and Paratici then held a press conference to introduce the new head coach who would deliver the vision for the club, I would be more inclined to give them a chance.

But as it is, it just feels like a desperate appointment following Levy clusterfuck after Levy clusterfuck with the new season approaching fast.

Well, certainly looks like Poch and Conte had some kind of talk: Rodgers rejected us without being asked IIRC, and Nagelsmann was pretty much gone at the same time as Jose - the way this whole farce is being conducted, I’ve got no idea what ‘talks’ means any more.

Maybe just a pie and a pint and a nice natter?
Maybe he just cold calls them...
''Hi, Daniel Levy here, would you like to be our new ma.....''

''No!!!''

Skimming through more Roma from late 2020.
1-0 victory vs Udinese, pretty good in parts, especially the first half. Vibrant off ball movement at times, decent defensive transitions, every player looks confident with the ball and knows where teammate is going to be for most of the first half.

I genuinely find it hard to judge the guy, because if we have Kane, Son, Ndom, Gio, Reguilon plus whoever come September, their ability to carry out his ideas will be much greater than that of Dzeko, Pedro, Vertout and Davide Santon. A lot can be said about it being an unambitious appointment, but this Roma squad is fairly crap and their league finish was about what could be expected to be honest. Dzeko looks every bit his age.

Mancini a bit better in this game, but honestly don't think he's much if any better than Dier. Villar bright from the bench. Every game I've watched so far, lack of athleticism in the Roma side has been glaring. Seems to promote his full backs and wing players cutting low balls back toward penalty spot/edge of box, midfielders regularly target their runs toward this area. Ceded a lot of possession in the second half, age profile and endurance of front three no help, but managed to limit Udinese to snapshots and some crossing opportunities.
He'll feel right at home here then.

6th choice, 10th , etc doesn’t really matter. What matters is how this guy has suddenly cropped up from nowhere to what looks like our manager. I mean all the ITKs and gold and such like never had an inkling this guy could be considered. But all of a sudden a not yet appointed DOF says this guy is the bees knees when no one else appears to have been after his services since he agreed to leave Roma at end of season which was weeks before the end. Something stinks here.... just doesn’t add up. If he was that good surely he would have been touted around for all managers jobs? All bollocks!
I’d rather get potter or Nuno now than this guy.

Well, certainly looks like Poch and Conte had some kind of talk: Rodgers rejected us without being asked IIRC, and Nagelsmann was pretty much gone at the same time as Jose - the way this whole farce is being conducted, I’ve got no idea what ‘talks’ means any more.

Maybe just a pie and a pint and a nice natter?
Knowing levy he took £5 pin n a pint deal away and that's what ended talks

What's with the obsession with Portugal all of a sudden? First Jose, then Gedson, Carlos Vinicius and now this guy.

The owners of Wolves will be on the phone to Levy saying "alright son don't you think you might be overdoing it a little?"

What's with the obsession with Portugal all of a sudden? First Jose, then Gedson, Carlos Vinicius and now this guy.

The owners of Wolves will be on the phone to Levy saying "alright son don't you think you might be overdoing it a little?"
Well the first three were all connected.

This is our Serie A DoF choosing a Serie A manager who happens to be Portuguese.

Also, it's not gonna be Fonseca. This will go on at least another week.

Back
Top Bottom