Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
No not at all. But why throw your toys out of the pram when he hasn't even signed.
It appears we are stuck with him so why not see how first 10 games go then make a judgement on that performance?

Also, what a predictably aggressive, childish response. Personal attacks because I suggested we should give the new guy a chance. Standard

Haven’t thrown my toys out of anything just commenting on him as a manager.

What a predictably needless attack on me because you can’t handle people having a different opinion.

Who gives a fuck where they were on January 21, this is the kind of BS that Jose fanbois use to try and justify his shit results by cherry picking dates to choose when look at so it makes them look good.

Is that chart xG or something else? As I said I read somewhere that for xG they finished where they should have in the league. It may have been a combination of xG and whatever the similar stat is for expected goals against though.

And as always it wasn't like last year was his first bad year, but I am sure there are excuses for those bad years as well. I prefer to have a manager that gets results doesn't need to have his poor results tried to be explained away by crying about injuries.

Using expletives doesnt distract from the fact.

You are the one who just said, Fonseca doesnt even have the xG attractiveness like Potter.
I just proved that his Roma side were the best creators by Jan21. Thats a fact - you cant disagree with a fact ;)

Also, they had the 11th best xG end of the season...that again far better than Brighton.

There's a stupid stat going around that Spurs & Roma are 7th last season - so Fonseca is bad.
We were lucky to be 7th...this inspite of having no injury trouble like 19/20 AND Kane,Son being fit & firing goals. Roma on other hand, had to play 35 yr, 33 yr & 32 yr old front line coz their no 1 player Zaniolo couldnt play 1 minute of football.

Ofcourse injuries matter. Context matters.

Stats without context is meaningless.

Do you honestly think that if Chelsea, City, United, Liverpool or even Leicester fired their managers they would be looking to bring this guy in?
No. And we should be fishing in that pond.

But if the Lyons or Napolis or Gladbachs of the world snapped him up that would seem about right.

And then he’s a title challenge away from a bigger English job. The market is not entirely rational as we know.

It was an impressive resume worthy of getting the chance at Roma. And while he failed there he hardly discredited himself, it just didn’t really work out.

I would have been stunned if Scott Parker or Roberto Martinez came good here. I’d be surprised if Fonseca does, but not stunned.

But if the Lyons or Napolis or Gladbachs of the world snapped him up that would seem about right.

And then he’s a title challenge away from a bigger English job. The market is not entirely rational as we know.

It was an impressive resume worthy of getting the chance at Roma. And while he failed there he hardly discredited himself, it just didn’t really work out.

Didn’t each one of those teams have a chance to hire him and pass for better options?

Perhaps the biggest positive about this for me is that it actually demonstrates Levy giving up power over the footballing decisions.

Getting Paratici in and then letting him go for a completely left-field choice of head coach appointment sure is trusting.

It's laughable mate. Absolutely the WRONG message to send to supporters and or competitors.
How about he dresses up every press conference?

I don't really care about "my name on this forum" and sorry if the truth is looked at as antagonistic.

There has been way too much pathetic Levy-apologizing going on lately and I don't see any need for it to be treated with kid gloves, it needs to be called out for the complete and utter bullshit that it is.

Yes I am a Spurs fan does that mean I have to ignore reality and just fan boi a manager because we signed him?

What a stupid way to act.

Who gives a fuck where they were on January 21, this is the kind of BS that Jose fanbois use to try and justify his shit results by cherry picking dates to choose when look at so it makes them look good.

Is that chart xG or something else? As I said I read somewhere that for xG they finished where they should have in the league. It may have been a combination of xG and whatever the similar stat is for expected goals against though.

And as always it wasn't like last year was his first bad year, but I am sure there are excuses for those bad years as well. I prefer to have a manager that gets results doesn't need to have his poor results tried to be explained away by crying about injuries.
Igula Igula
No anger and no insults?
Suuuuuure.

When we see such a chance creating manager , after 1.5 year of mess from Jose...we should be excited like anything..

I mean , think of scenario if Kane stays.... If we can convince him to say or there are no one bidding the money to get him out and he stays...With such an attacking manager - we should be in for a feast of a season.

I think the question needs to be asked about what kind of manager are you fishing for, and why?

The trouble answering that is why Spurs desperately need a Sporting Director steering the boat, but even aside from that, there is no consensus among the fanbase about what the club needs and why. There usually is no consensus among the Spurs fanbase about anything so that's hardly unusual, but it does mean that the discussions we have are going to be quite fragmented.

Fonseca not my first choice. Thats the first thing I want to say...

But then, I have seen so many nonsense things said about him & his records...
So, want to do some mythbusters or atleast give some context...

Roma sacked Fonseca : Not Correct. He signed a 2 year deal in 19/20. Roma had a change of Ownership in 20/21. Both sides didn't want to renew. New owners wanted to look at other options-they ended with Jose

Spurs & Roma finished 7th, so he is poor : Spurs finished 7th inspite of largely fitter squad, inlcuding Kane who wasn't injured + inspite of Kane & Son's incredible form. In short Spurs best players were fit, available and in form. On other hand, Roma lost their biggest star Zaniolo to ACL before the season...and he did not play 1 minute of football in 20/21 + they had lot number of injuries post Feb 2021....So, Spurs finishing 7th (lucky to have finished 7th) is incredibly poor and Roma reaching EL semis & 7th with such a bad hand isnt that bad.

Ole's United destroyed Roma : More like Ole got lucky on the day. Roma went into the game with injury issues. Then they took the lead 2-1 at 33min. But by 37 min, they had lost incredibly 3 players including their first choice GK and their CM and LWB. 2nd half thanks to 2 keeper errors and a dodgy penalty and tiring players, United won the game. For what its worth, Roma won the 2nd leg. May be on another day, Roma could have held on or won - they were simply unlucky

Zorro Mask : Many are making a big deal out of this. Shakhtar were in a touch group with City,Napoli,Feynoord. Zorro mask was more of a joke from his manager colleague who wanted PF to wear the costume,if he could stop City's 29 game unbeaten run and get them into CL knockouts. He did that convincingly...ended up scoring 12pts from that group. It was a bit of fun but I have seen some not having the heart to take this as a joke.

Bad at Roma :
We got to understand how difficult the circumstance was for Fonseca at Roma.
Pre 2019/20 - Monchi was the DoF. But he had a torrid time at Roma. He sold big players like Salah, Allisson etc for 230m+ and reinvested 200m+. Almost every one from that list were flops or didnt do enough. Even now, in Roma squad carries some of those deadwoods.
19/20-Fonseca was put in charge...of a club which was in financial trouble.
Constant fights between new DoF and the then owner is public knowledge.
Inspite of these off field issues, Fonseca got them playing good football - used the deadwoods and loans like Smalling to good effect. Roma finished with commendable 70pts in league finishing the season in strong form including a away win at Juve 1-3.
20/21 - Owner sold the club and new US owner came. He got some backing. But a Zaniolo 2nd ACL injury meant he was out of season without playing 1 minute. Roma were 3rd in March21. But injuries to Vertout, their LWB and few completely took the life out of the side. But they did play well to reach EL Semis...which Roma fans didnt even dream of start of season...

Just looking at league table doesnt give the full picture. Look at the context. He has done as well as any manager could under the situation.

I am sure Paratici has seen this and he thinks may be in a more better squad with settled owner/DoF this man could really excel

So, lets see if/when he comes, lets back him and hopefully he can deliver...especially if Kane stays

Didn’t each one of those teams have a chance to hire him and pass for better options?
I think Lyon emphatically didn't, and Gladbach had their managerial choice nailed down before Fonseca was out of a job at Roma (and the club didn't tell him they were letting him go, they just announced Mourinho, so he wouldn't have been looking).

Napoli has some special issues of its own.

I would have been stunned if Scott Parker or Roberto Martinez came good here. I’d be surprised if Fonseca does, but not stunned.

I am slowly settling into acceptance on this and trying to be as upbeat about it as possible, but it's not easy.

The two things that I would say about this appointment is that I'm actually a little better about it that I would be with a Martinez or a Parker one, possibly. Also, I think that it's more about the timing of it than anything else.

Success somewhere else doesn't guarantee it elsewhere, and I think it's good sometimes to go after those riskier picks now an then to see if you get the big payoff they could provide. If we appointed Martinez or Parker, we could pretty much tell what we're going to get for the most part. At least with Fonseca he could surprise us. Yes, it is inherently riskier but he may have far more upside than the other two or some other managers on the list.

To me, the timing is what screws it up. If we felt that we had a really good batch of players that just needed a new vision and some new energy, he could be a great pick. To bring in a riskier pick that has to do that, with all of the various squad issues we have feels really dangerous. It feels like a steady and firm hand with some experience behind it is what was needed most.

Tired Britney Spears GIF

Back
Top Bottom