Paulo Gazzaniga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Gazziniga good enough to replace Lloris as 1st choice keeper?

• yes

Votes: 62 42.8%
  • no

Votes: 83 57.2%

• Total voters
On last nights showing he could/should be our number 2
However, to me anyway, there seems a bit of doubt about him being a vampire, not only for their goal but also for the "penalty " shout that the commentators were praying to be given, He came for it, stopped, went again and then backed out of it.
A keeper needs to be decisive, whether that decision is right or wrong, otherwise the defenders won't have a clue what he's going to do.

For a young, inexperienced keeper, think he has done sterling work when he's played. Yes of course, he will make mistakes - name one keeper who doesn't. For me, as long as we don't lose the game, not too bothered.

For a young, inexperienced keeper, think he has done sterling work when he's played. Yes of course, he will make mistakes - name one keeper who doesn't. For me, as long as we don't lose the game, not too bothered.
Yeah, as I said he should be our No. 2
As you say he's young and will improve, if you remember when De Gea first came over he was AWFUL at crosses but is now one of the best keepers in the league.

However, to me anyway, there seems a bit of doubt about him being a vampire, not only for their goal but also for the "penalty " shout that the commentators were praying to be given, He came for it, stopped, went again and then backed out of it.
A keeper needs to be decisive, whether that decision is right or wrong, otherwise the defenders won't have a clue what he's going to do.
I thought he pulled off one great save in the 2nd half, all the others saves you'd expect any 'keeper to have made. Their goal was a howler from him.

What I really enjoyed from him, however, was the way he celebrated/congratulated almost every tackle his defenders put in, especially that tackle on lurch in the 2nd half.

I thought he pulled off one great save in the 2nd half, all the others saves you'd expect any 'keeper to have made. Their goal was a howler from him.

What I really enjoyed from him, however, was the way he celebrated/congratulated almost every tackle his defenders put in, especially that tackle on lurch in the 2nd half.
The more he plays the more comfortable he will get IMO. He'll grow more comfortable in the box as time goes on and let's be honest not every keeper is going to be a sweeper. Some are just pure goal line shot stoppers.

He's definitely earning his stripes for us this season and losing Vorm in the summer (most likely) is going to be very much painless.

I didnt get the vampire thing :(

The more he plays the more comfortable he will get IMO. He'll grow more comfortable in the box as time goes on and let's be honest not every keeper is going to be a sweeper. Some are just pure goal line shot stoppers.

He's definitely earning his stripes for us this season and losing Vorm in the summer (most likely) is going to be very much painless.
He will not play in this team if he can't sweep or play with his feet.

Play with his feet won't be an issue at all. Gazza probably has the best ball control with his feet out of all our goalkeepers
Honestly, haven't seen evidence to support this at all. I'm not saying he bad at either, just given the few games he's played it's not what I would say is a stand out feature to his game (slightly unfair because it's such a small sample size but his pass completion rate is bellow Lloirs, which goes against your claim somewhat)

Read recently that the club are looking at a new GK. I think the inference was to replace Lloris but I feel it is Vorm who will not be here next season. We need 3 GK's and the question is can Gazza step up as number 2 and we get in a number 3. The only way we are going to find out if he is good enough is for him to play. Lloris is banned for Tuesday and whilst Vorm was ahead of Gazza last time, perhaps Gazza should play Tuesday. I think it would send the signal to Vorm that he is finished at the club and Poch may not want to do that but we know everything we need about Vorm but Gazza has not played enough for a definate opinion to be made.
If we had a poll on who is the best GK for Tuesday bearing in mind Vorm is more experienced, I think the outcome would be close. I think Gazza needs to be tested further.

I know keepers play until they are older but he is 26 - not that young.

I think he has been decent and would have him above Vorm but would want the #2 pushing to replace Loris in the next few years, don't think Gazzaniga has it in him. I would be looking at any promising homegrown goalkeepers if possible, I saw we were linked with Pope which may not be a bad option.

His long kicking (he can kick it very long) was good but quite a few of his mid range went straight out of play.

All the talk about him surpassing Lloris was ludicrous. He's a clear #2 with an eye on #1 in the next couple years. He's got all the tools, just needs some match action and its hard to get that with Vorm in front of him. Poch needs to just go ahead and make him our cup goalie for the remainder of the year.

Vorm is a professional, he will take 30k/week to sit at home as an insurance policy the 2nd half of the year and get another job elsewhere for next season.

I can understand his decision making being inexperienced, but he really should be better at corners. It’s the most common set piece and he should have been getting practice reps every week for years.

Back
Top Bottom