Paulo Gazzaniga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Gazziniga good enough to replace Lloris as 1st choice keeper?

• yes

Votes: 62 42.8%
  • no

Votes: 83 57.2%

• Total voters
he needs game time so the manager can see him under pressure not just in training
I old enough to remember Barry Daines coming in when Big Pat was injuried, Daines looked very good, but when we sold Pat and Daines got position fulltime he was not anywhere near Pat
You can't be too careful with keepers. You've cited the Daines situation. There's also Gomez, who went from sublime (at PSV) to crap (2 pts from 8); to brilliant (Harry got a gk coach) to awful again (let through a succession of feeble 30 yarders - why????).

We're very lucky to have such a great back up to Lloris, but way too early to see whether he has what it takes. On the plus side, Poch has known him a long time now and must know his character well.

Any chance of him getting game time with Argentina?

he needs game time so the manager can see him under pressure not just in training
I old enough to remember Barry Daines coming in when Big Pat was injuried, Daines looked very good, but when we sold Pat and Daines got position fulltime he was not anywhere near Pat

Thing is though, that's just the standard, age old dillema when it comes to keepers/selection.

He was picked in the first team because Lloris was out and Vorm was shit.

He was a bit part bench warmer, rated by absolutely no one, before we decided to give him a chance. He's done well to take his chance. A good shot stopper who's awful at leaving his line. He'll never ever be a number one at a club like Tottenham but Poch gave him his chance and, like he does with many of the players he manages, gets them international recognition.

He was a bit part bench warmer, rated by absolutely no one, before we decided to give him a chance. He's done well to take his chance. A good shot stopper who's awful at leaving his line. He'll never ever be a number one at a club like Tottenham but Poch gave him his chance and, like he does with many of the players he manages, gets them international recognition.

He's still somewhat young, hopefully he can improve that aspect of his game.
Otherwise though, I totally agree. He's done brilliantly to take his chance and now is looking like our #1 backup option. I'd love to see him continue to get lesser cup games and easy prem home ties...

BBC said:
Paulo Gazzaniga is the first Spurs goalkeeper to keep a clean sheet away at Woolwich in any competition since November 1998, when Espen Baardsen did so at Highbury.

That's a name I never thought I'd read again...

e4442b5f-dcb3-4869-b03a-159daa83d5e2.jpg

Someone usually makes a FU in a big match and I wondered if it was his turn. Glad to be wrong a good performance again. Vorm can leave and we need a new Number 3 GK.

Last edited:
He was brilliant tonight. (Disclaimer, I missed the first 20 of the second half due to work) but he made at least 2 fantastic saves and racked up two “hockey assists”. Apart from the clearance he bottled in the first half he was excellent.

Over the years teams that end up as champions have a striker and keeper on form. I feel happy knowing Gazza is waiting in the wings. My old man always said to me when warming up for a game Gazza would ping long quick balls out to the coach and would be on the money every time but LLoris would be all over the place. I'm not hear to knock Lloris but the ability to release the team quickly, with accuracy will stop better teams pressing so high up the pitch and also give us those quick goals like last night. I feel sorry for Vorm as he is decent and has been patient but Gazza needs the game time to keep him interested.

I personally don't see Lloris going anytime soon as I don't believe a bigger team than us will be after him

Made some great saves, his distribution of the ball is exceptional, looks like an Adonis and as Gatsby Gatsby said in the match thread (I think) played 5, won 5.

What’s not to like from your number 2?

Give the man his own smilie.

Unfortunately given how good he's proven to be I don't think we'll be able to keep hold of him because Lloris will be the de facto No.1 keeper for many more years to come and Gazza is not exactly young anymore. I'm almost certain any half-decent club can lure him away if they promise him the No.1 spot. Not that I can blame him, the man must want to play week in week out for club and country and he rightfully deserves to. I would say getting some good money out of him while keeping Vorm would be the best course of action for everyone should it be inevitable that he will go.

Back
Top Bottom