Paulo Gazzaniga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Gazziniga good enough to replace Lloris as 1st choice keeper?

• yes

Votes: 62 42.8%
  • no

Votes: 83 57.2%

• Total voters
I think he is a quintessential third choice keeper. But favour the third choice always being both young and native/homegrown. Its good for the squad numbers and encouraging for the youth set up.

Agree in principle. But why would any youth GK look at our (or any big English clubs) history of taking a risk on blooding a homegrown keeper and be encouraged?

Gazza is a cup keeper that would have been no where near us if he wasn't Argentinean.

It's a shame, because he really is berry berry handsome.

Talking of 3rd choice 'keepers.
Which ones were you brought up on?
I can remember the likes of Terry Lee and Ian Cranstone in the reserves.
Seems like an age ago.

For me, he’s an average keeper.

Everything he’s shown proves he doesn’t have what it takes to be a keeper for a top club.

Being the backup for a top 6 club is probably his limit

Well, we're currently living that scenario... Ironic that so many choose to bang the "not good enough" drum when we actually come to play our back-up; like the back-up guy is someone expected to be as good or better than the #1. Was no different with Voorm.

Just to beat the dead horse further............ I thought he should have come out and at least try to cut the angle on the Southampton goal. Looked like he was cemented to the pitch.

I’ve never seen a keeper a slow off his line as Gazza. Even when defenders are shielding the ball for him to come and collect he doesn’t seem to move until the last minute. I know Hugo makes mistakes at times but I’d much rather a proactive keeper than one that just invites pressure.
There's a theory that it's quite deliberate.

I was reading a report last year that showed all the top 'keepers in the world shown that they are going back toward their own line (and in typical fashion, I can't remember who wrote it to track it down to post it on here, sorry). The theory is that since XG stats have been made available they now have data to show them where to big % chances are coming from and that this has led to 'keepers no longer coming off their line and choosing to stay on it.

ENlHh25WkAIokJN

By contrast Lloris is usually at the top of the XG save stats (go see his thread for the ones that I have posted, allbe it from a totally differnt data source so bear that in mind).

There's a theory that it's quite deliberate.

I was reading a report last year that showed all the top 'keepers in the world shown that they are going back toward their own line (and in typical fashion, I can't remember who wrote it to track it down to post it on here, sorry). The theory is that since XG stats have been made available they now have data to show them where to big % chances are coming from and that this has led to 'keepers no longer coming off their line and choosing to stay on it.

Fair enough but I can't help feeling like with the % of 1v1's a striker is going to score when a keeper is on his line surely can't be lower than the XG of coming out to try and put the striker off or get to the ball first. In Hugo's early days at Spurs he was famed for how quick he was off his line and while there will obviously be times where he gets caught out, I think it's only the perception of these times as a being a GK error that would prevent a keeper from playing that way.

Few blame keepers when they stay on their line but if they're conceding loads more as a result then what good is that to the team?

Fair enough but I can't help feeling like with the % of 1v1's a striker is going to score when a keeper is on his line surely can't be lower than the XG of coming out to try and put the striker off or get to the ball first. In Hugo's early days at Spurs he was famed for how quick he was off his line and while there will obviously be times where he gets caught out, I think it's only the perception of these times as a being a GK error that would prevent a keeper from playing that way.

Few blame keepers when they stay on their line but if they're conceding loads more as a result then what good is that to the team?
The report (which I still can't find) showed that the save percentages of 'keepers who stayed on or closer to their line went up! It's why they were doing it.

Lloris's numbers were the greatest improved, he was the 'keeper that had dropped back the furthest and his save percentages went up too! (granted of most ' keepers' bar Neuer he was one of the most advanced behind a very high back-line).

It's not saying that a 'keeper shouldn't come off his line when a 1v1 is presented. The consensus is that 'keepers are remaining on their lines more and are saving more as a result. It depends where that 1v1 is e.g on the edge of the box etc. (if it was the XG would be not as high as if it was 6yrds out). The entire point of the report was that the trend is for keepers is they are not moving off their lines as much as previously and that's a recent thing over the last 4-5 yrs.

ENlHh25WkAIokJN

By contrast Lloris is usually at the top of the XG save stats (go see his thread for the ones that I have posted, allbe it from a totally differnt data source so bear that in mind).

As time goes by Gazzaniga’s lack of quality has become obvious. Most of the big saves have been nothing special, he has made many horrible errors and let limp shots go through him.

I am missing Hugo now and I think the players are as well. He obviously makes errors as well but he is capable of the extraordinary where Gazza just isn’t. A decent second keeper but nothing more.

As time goes by Gazzaniga’s lack of quality has become obvious. Most of the big saves have been nothing special, he has made many horrible errors and let limp shots go through him.

I am missing Hugo now and I think the players are as well. He obviously makes errors as well but he is capable of the extraordinary where Gazza just isn’t. A decent second keeper but nothing more.
Hugo is very capable of extraordinary errors. Ferfuxsake, he got injured because he couldn't jump properly

I suspect a fit Vorm would have already replaced Gazza. To be absolutely blunt, he’s a likeable guy, but his long range distribution is the only area where he shades anything above Vorm and Vorm is pony.

Hugo is very capable of extraordinary errors. Ferfuxsake, he got injured because he couldn't jump properly

So is Gazza, that fuckup against Chelsea was horrendous, likewise that awful Rashford shot that he let go through his hand. He has let many saveable shots go in.

Hugo is capable of extraordinary mistakes and extraordinary saves, Gazza is only capable of the former. He’s fine for playing the odd cup game and that’s what he was signed for, it’s normal that he is not really good enough to be in the first XI.

So is Gazza, that fuckup against Chelsea was horrendous, likewise that awful Rashford shot that he let go through his hand. He has let many saveable shots go in.

Hugo is capable of extraordinary mistakes and extraordinary saves, Gazza is only capable of the former. He’s fine for playing the odd cup game and that’s what he was signed for, it’s normal that he is not really good enough to be in the first XI.
Hugo isn't good enough either.

Really hoped we could have got Nubel, but hey, as one door closes....Christian Fruechtl now could be an option.

not even decent Imho, happy with him as 3rd choice

not even decent Imho, happy with him as 3rd choice
He'd be a decent second choice to a keeper who only misses one or two games a season, but to a keeper who can't land properly when he jumps, there is a problem. We can't be sure what Hugo comes back and what Hugo will do next. We need a new long term, consistent goalkeeper, and we need to buy.

Hugo is not the answer and I don’t miss him doing the Hokey Cokey into the net, flapping at crosses, or running past the ball 40 meters from his goal line thanks

Back
Top Bottom