Pick 3;

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You can pick three players that are currently playing in the Premier League to improve our team. But you can't pick from Man City, Man United, Liverpool or Chelsea. Who would you pick? Just for some banter.

I've gone for Rice, Tielemans and Barnes.

Massive fan of Declan, despite him playing for West Spam. He gets better and better and would improve just about any midfield. I do like Pierre Emile but Rice is a better player overall. Tielemans has that bit of quality to create or score from nothing that we so desperately miss. Barnes has the potential to be ridiculously good if he keeps on improving at the rate he has done over the last 12 months or so. Him and Son alongside Kane, and I would tell Harry that if he drops deep he doesn't get his wages, would be unreal. You could also play Barnes up top with Son and have Kane playing as a number 10 where he can do his thing, threading balls to both of them at his best.

Lloris

Royal
Sanchez
Romero
Reguilon

Rice
Ndombele
Tielemans

Barnes
Son

Kane

If only!

If we are forcing the 4-3-3 that Nuno seems stuck to right now I would probably choose:

Raphinha, Buendia and Fofana.

If the formation was changeable I would replace Raphina and bring in a RWB, maybe Lamptey but he isn't ideal.

If we have Nuno’s system then Neves, Traore and an decent forward like Ings or Toney.

If we have a 4231 Poch style system then Toney, Buendia and say maybe Philips or Rice. Wish I could choose outside Prem and would take Bellingham, he will be better than both Philips and Rice.

Lucas Digne, James Maddison and Wilfried Zaha

Seeing that there isn’t really a CB outside of that top four that would significantly help us is…sobering. Remember when there were great defenders up and down the PL?

Absolutely no regard for Nuno as any players would last significantly longer than he will.

Traore - because I want a player who is able to pin opposition in their half rather than having to sit in ours.
Watkins - because I want a younger striker who is able to put the ball away when presented with a chance.
Ndidi because I want some one able to boss the middle and I can't have Kante

Hopefully the combination of these three will reduce the pressure on the defence a bit until I can pick 3 more players who don't play for certain clubs.

Absolutely no regard for Nuno as any players would last significantly longer than he will.

Traore - because I want a player who is able to pin opposition in their half rather than having to sit in ours.
Watkins - because I want a younger striker who is able to put the ball away when presented with a chance.
Ndidi because I want some one able to boss the middle and I can't have Kante

Hopefully the combination of these three will reduce the pressure on the defence a bit until I can pick 3 more players who don't play for certain clubs.

Watkins is 26 I think? Up until recently I thought he was about 21/22. He certainly looks it.

My three would leave us with the team below. Not great that I could hardly decide whether to upgrade GK(age), LB, RB, CB, DM, CM or RW... but here we are.

Lloris
Emerson - Romero - Dier - Reguilon
Ndombele - Rice - Bissouma
Raphina - Kane - Son

MF - Rice / Bissouma
ST - Toney / Daka (not seen him in action for Leicester yet tho')
RW/AM - ???? (Not Traore, but not sure otherwise.... Someone who can create and score.)

A few others I gave some thought to are Saint-Maximin, Justin and Antonio.

Saint-Maximin when he's on form is worth the admission price alone. Still a bit inconsistent but in a better side than Newcastle he would be brilliant. Justin was fantastic for Leicester before he got a bad injury. Has everything you want from a full-back, both defensively and going forward. Antonio is a beast and a very likeable guy. Would love him up top with Son and eventually Gil out wide and Kane as a number 10. Only thing is he's the wrong side of 30 though.

Caglar Soyuncu, Tomas Soucek and Allan Saint-Maximin.

I would like to have added a left back to replace Reguilon, since he can only occasionally cross, yet doesn't nothing else well, but I think there are three needs that are greater at the moment.

We do need a CB badly, as Romero is unproven, and Sanchez is worthless. Dier is ok (for a rotation option), and Rodon is talented, but requires seasoning to be in the regular starting lineup. Tanganga needs to be starting at RB (Royal isn't ready, and I don't think he'll ever be good enough to be more than a rotation option). Soyuncu is solid, and I see him only getting better, as long as he has a good partner.

I also would have loved to have picked a CM that can unlock defenses (in the Eriksen mould, or maybe what Alli should do), but again, I don't see one available, apart from those that are more forward than they are CM (Barnes). Since I can't find that, I looked for one that can score, but also plays good defense. For me, Soucek was the signing of the season in 19-20, and he was even better last season. He'd also be a good captain, if Lloris and Kane are moved on.

For an attacking option, I'd take Saint-Maximin over Traore every day of the week. Traore can't score, and he's not much of a passer...he's all power and speed, but has no end product. You could have said the same of ASM a year ago, but he's improved mightily, and he'll only be getting better.

Lloris
Tanganga Dier/Romero Soyuncu Reguilon
Ndombele Soucek Skipp
Saint-Maximin Son
Kane

Caglar Soyuncu, Tomas Soucek and Allan Saint-Maximin.

I would like to have added a left back to replace Reguilon, since he can only occasionally cross, yet doesn't nothing else well, but I think there are three needs that are greater at the moment.

We do need a CB badly, as Romero is unproven, and Sanchez is worthless. Dier is ok (for a rotation option), and Rodon is talented, but requires seasoning to be in the regular starting lineup. Tanganga needs to be starting at RB (Royal isn't ready, and I don't think he'll ever be good enough to be more than a rotation option). Soyuncu is solid, and I see him only getting better, as long as he has a good partner.

I also would have loved to have picked a CM that can unlock defenses (in the Eriksen mould, or maybe what Alli should do), but again, I don't see one available, apart from those that are more forward than they are CM (Barnes). Since I can't find that, I looked for one that can score, but also plays good defense. For me, Soucek was the signing of the season in 19-20, and he was even better last season. He'd also be a good captain, if Lloris and Kane are moved on.

For an attacking option, I'd take Saint-Maximin over Traore every day of the week. Traore can't score, and he's not much of a passer...he's all power and speed, but has no end product. You could have said the same of ASM a year ago, but he's improved mightily, and he'll only be getting better.

Lloris
Tanganga Dier/Romero Soyuncu Reguilon
Ndombele Soucek Skipp
Saint-Maximin Son
Kane

Each to their own, but I think Soyuncu has looked awful for a while now. Both for Leicester and Turkey. He always looks a major mistake or red card waiting to happen to me. Solid two other choices though.

Can't quite believe no one has mentioned Calvert-Lewin.

Calvert-Lewin, Raphinha and Rice for me. And go 4-4-2.

Lloris
Royal - Romero - Dier - Reguilon
Raphinha - PEH* - Rice - Son
Kane - DCL

* Possibly Alli or Ndombele for easier opponents (if such a thing exists for us at present).

Can't quite believe no one has mentioned Calvert-Lewin.

Calvert-Lewin, Raphinha and Rice for me. And go 4-4-2.

Lloris
Royal - Romero - Dier - Reguilon
Raphinha - PEH* - Rice - Son
Kane - DCL

* Possibly Alli or Ndombele for easier opponents (if such a thing exists for us at present).

Maybe Calvert-Lewin after Kane has left. I can't see having them both in the lineup and having that actually work.

Back
Top Bottom