Pick 3;

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can't quite believe no one has mentioned Calvert-Lewin.

Calvert-Lewin, Raphinha and Rice for me. And go 4-4-2.

Lloris
Royal - Romero - Dier - Reguilon
Raphinha - PEH* - Rice - Son
Kane - DCL

* Possibly Alli or Ndombele for easier opponents (if such a thing exists for us at present).

Makes you wonder why Garreff hasn't tried something like that for Engerlund:

Pickford
Walker + Stones + McGuire + Shaw
Sancho + Rice + Phillips + Sterling
Kane(*) + DCL

(*Kane playing as a retro #10 and drop in as a CAM at times too.)

Can't quite believe no one has mentioned Calvert-Lewin.

Calvert-Lewin, Raphinha and Rice for me. And go 4-4-2.

Lloris
Royal - Romero - Dier - Reguilon
Raphinha - PEH* - Rice - Son
Kane - DCL

* Possibly Alli or Ndombele for easier opponents (if such a thing exists for us at present).

He's a bit one dimensional. I do like him, but if you don't give him good service from out wide he can look a bit ordinary.

Each to their own, but I think Soyuncu has looked awful for a while now. Both for Leicester and Turkey. He always looks a major mistake or red card waiting to happen to me. Solid two other choices though.

He has regressed from '19-'20, but he's only 25, so that has to be something that can be fixed (he was brilliant at 22-23). To be fair, Leicester's defensive backline has regressed a lot since '19-'20; it's not only Soyuncu. I see him getting isolated too often.

Tielemans would be my first choice, 100%. The ability of our players to not wet themselves under pressure and show competent passing ranges is laughable. He's good under a press, technically proficient, adds goals from midfield (which we badly need) and isn't defensively awful. Immediately a huge upgrade

Saint Maximin the second. For me he's a better Adama Traore. Numbers aren't spectacular but he plays for Newcastle. Instantly a proper upgrade over Bergwijn or Lucas. Only worry would be he's a bit injury prone.

And finally Digne. Yeah, a left back. I really simply don't rate Reguilon, I find him to be a terrible decision maker and his delivery really isn't consistently any good. Tries a lot and is tenacious but very meh at both ends of the pitch, Digne is a different level. He's also a good set piece taker which we badly need.

Good one. Only three is hard when we could do with 8 or 9. I would go Rice, Bissouma and Ings. Realistically a club like us should have been able to sign the last two in the summer. Rice I can understand being hard to get because of West Ham having a good season but the other two improve us easily and would have been attainable had we a bit of gumption.

Maybe Fofana, Barnes, Toney(as backup/rotation/impact sub) if you want players that could probably come straight in and improve the team.
Saint-maximin is a baller but not sure I could handle S-M and Ndombele in the same team!!

Maybe Fofana, Barnes, Toney(as backup/rotation/impact sub) if you want players that could probably come straight in and improve the team.
Saint-maximin is a baller but not sure I could handle S-M and Ndombele in the same team!!

From what I've seen, Saint-Maximin is never short on effort. His mentality seems far better than Ndombele's is.

Tielemans would be my first choice, 100%. The ability of our players to not wet themselves under pressure and show competent passing ranges is laughable. He's good under a press, technically proficient, adds goals from midfield (which we badly need) and isn't defensively awful. Immediately a huge upgrade

Saint Maximin the second. For me he's a better Adama Traore. Numbers aren't spectacular but he plays for Newcastle. Instantly a proper upgrade over Bergwijn or Lucas. Only worry would be he's a bit injury prone.

And finally Digne. Yeah, a left back. I really simply don't rate Reguilon, I find him to be a terrible decision maker and his delivery really isn't consistently any good. Tries a lot and is tenacious but very meh at both ends of the pitch, Digne is a different level. He's also a good set piece taker which we badly need.

Love the Digne pick. He would be my #4, and for me, the most complete left back in the league behind Robertson.

DCL is a bit one dimensional. Grealish is one of the first names on the team sheet surely

Not so sure about that. I think the following picks itself (if not in mine, then def. in Gary's eyes); which leaves Sancho, Foden, Grealish, Mount all wrestling for 2 spots:

Pickford
???? + Rice + Phillips + ????
Kane + Sterling

Anyway.... Don't wanna drag the thread off topic too much..... Soz all.

Not so sure about that. I think the following picks itself (if not in mine, then def. in Gary's eyes); which leaves Sancho, Foden, Grealish, Mount all wrestling for 2 spots:

Pickford
???? + Rice + Phillips + ????
Kane + Sterling

Anyway.... Don't wanna drag the thread off topic too much..... Soz all.
Grealish is in another league to Sterling imo. Rice & Phillips are also a very limited midfield combination, which is why we don't control most games and look quite boring in attack.

Grealish is in another league to Sterling imo. Rice & Phillips are also a very limited midfield combination, which is why we don't control most games and look quite boring in attack.

This is Gary World though. I'd go nuts and play:

Foden / Rice / Grealish
Sancho / Kane / Sterling

.....Or similar.

Last edited:
And every time he starts to look like a consistent striker, he seems to vanish for 3 months.

Yeah, exactly. He's definitely one of those hot and cold players. He'll look world-class for a month or so and then barely score for a couple. I think he's still only 24 though and could be 4 or 5 years off his peak, so I think he'll turn out to be a very good striker for Everton or someone else.

Sterling is effective and his England record over the last couple of years is impressive whatever you think about him as a player. Plus he offers sheer pace. It's hard to leave him out of any England side really despite what he's doing or not doing for City.

As well as Phillips has done in an England shirt, it surely won't be long before Bellingham is in the side whenever fit. Foden will end up as a central player too. So you could have a midfield three of Rice, Bellingham and Foden which has pretty much everything. But Southgate loves Mount, and despite some average displays lately he is a very good player. So I can only see it continuing to be Foden or Grealish. More than likely the former.

Back
Top Bottom