Pierluigi Gollini

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

DfwXQkYXkAETTq2.jpg

I guess this proves that some of that Italian ITK is pretty close....it's just finding out which one of their numerous journos posted about it first...

This from the Athletic is interesting.

I don't think he is going to usurp Lloris to be honest. Watching highlights of him i thought he was decent but nowhere near the shot stopping of Lloris and may even be a downgrade but here's the analysis from the gk expert on the athletic.

Having studied Gollini in action, Pyzdrowski’s view was that Spurs’ new signing would be an upgrade on Lloris when it came to claiming crosses and playing higher up the pitch but that he could be vulnerable in one-on-one situations and from long shots, and is not at the Frenchman’s level when it comes to shot-stopping.

“Gollini and Lloris are polar opposites,” Pyzdrowski explains. “Because, yes, Lloris can rush off his line but he’s actually quite conservative and likes to stick to his line whereas Gollini is much more aggressive.

“He’s super-aggressive in crossing situations, which is good. He does punch a lot and doesn’t hold so much — in contrast to Lloris, who has some of the best hands in the Premier League. But one of the critiques of Lloris is he’s not great in the air and in England you need that, and so that is one area where Gollini could be superior to Lloris (the numbers from Statsbomb via fbref back this up).

“Gollini’s best assets are his size, ability to claim crosses and, definitely when he’s closer to his line, his reflexes. On balls in and around his body he’s very strong, and getting down to the ball — even though he’s big, he’s very quick.”

GettyImages-1291641893-scaled.jpg

Gollini saved a penalty from Juventus’ Cristiano Ronaldo last December (Photo: Getty Images)
“When he’s one-v-one and very close to someone, he’s good because he has strong reflexes. If there’s a bit more space and time, that’s when his decision-making is flawed at times and his technique needs some work. But that’s partly to do with how Atalanta played — with a high line where Gollini had to be aggressive. I think Spurs will be a bit more defensive and that could help him.

“And we’ve seen how many goalkeepers move clubs and can be rejuvenated. So for him, it could be good to have something new.”

But his weaknesses of going to ground early in one-v-one situations and at dealing with shots from range do concern Pyzdrowski.

“In one-v-ones, Gollini’s aggression can be to his benefit,” he says. “But it can also hurt him because he rushes out and seems like he’s trying to close the angle, which is good, but I don’t really like his technique because he often goes with his feet, rather than sliding in with his hands.

“Particularly when you’re wide of the goal, that’s when you can get into trouble — when you’re wide of the goal, you actually just want to keep your frame big and block the goal. Whereas he comes out and spreads but goes to ground very quickly and therefore exposes a lot of the goal in moments when it’s crucial to stay big and keep your chest square to the ball.

“The other thing I want to note is long-range shots can really be a problem for him. Largely that comes down to positioning and footwork. He is big at 6ft 4in, which is another contrast to (6ft 2in) Lloris, who is smaller for a keeper but whose positioning and footwork are two of his best assets and allow him to pull off those crazy saves.

“Gollini’s issues are typical of a bigger goalkeeper, many of whom think you can be a bit further off your line, take more chances, because you have a natural reach that other keepers don’t have, and maybe trust your height more than you should at times. Sometimes Gollini gets his feet caught underneath himself and doesn’t necessarily get the best push on to the ball.

“Also, partly because he plays further off his line, he’s trying to make an impact with the ball on his dives when he is between four to six yards off his line, which is quite a big distance, instead of maybe being a bit closer to his line, like Lloris likes to do. There, you give yourself more time to react, especially when dealing with curling shots because that four to six yards off your line the ball will go around you whereas if you’re closer to your line you can meet it as it comes back towards the goal.

“I think he can come in and challenge Lloris, but I don’t think he’ll replace him.”

It’s worth remembering as well that Lloris was very solid last season, despite taking a lot of criticism in recent years. If he is to be usurped, Gollini will have to earn the spot — something he feels well capable of doing.

And for someone who has always felt most comfortable in the limelight, Gollini has the chance to really make a name for himself at Spurs.

Meh article really. Some of the things it saying Gollini is poor at used to be the same for Lloris, but Hugo has adapted and evolved as he's aged.
The whole article is also based on him usurping Lloris, but general consensus seems to be that Pierluigi is here to replace Hart as number 2.

I think it's actually a good play by the club. The guy gets a year as number 2 learning from Lloris whilst we wait for Hugo to make a decision on his future. If Hugo stays we can buy this guy for number 2 or he can return to Atalanta. If Hugo goes we can activate the option to buy and he should be ready to step in as number one.

Meh article really. Some of the things it saying Gollini is poor at used to be the same for Lloris, but Hugo has adapted and evolved as he's aged.
The whole article is also based on him usurping Lloris, but general consensus seems to be that Pierluigi is here to replace Hart as number 2.

I think it's actually a good play by the club. The guy gets a year as number 2 learning from Lloris whilst we wait for Hugo to make a decision on his future. If Hugo stays we can buy this guy for number 2 or he can return to Atalanta. If Hugo goes we can activate the option to buy and he should be ready to step in as number one.
I agree but I'd say there are some concerns about perhaps his style of goalkeeping. But different leagues different styles I think I'll just use the eye test to judge him rather than an article.

It's going to be good for Hugo to have a genuine challenger to deal with. Hasn't had that since he arrived and had to displace Friedel. Also we should never need to play Lloris in the ECL so plenty of matches for Gollini to show what he can do.

I hope Gollini works out but I am getting a bit of a Darren Bent vibe. If he's not good enough to replace Lloris straight away, the probability is that he won't be good enough to replace him at all.

Back
Top Bottom