Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hope this actually goes through. Not because I'm an enormous fan in the admittedly small sample size that I've watched oh him, but because the DM options that we would realistically have a shot at are pure crap. He's has a chance at being less crappy.

It seems like we're signing him to play that role though, just because he's not really playing it for Southampton doesn't mean he can't play it well for us.
I only watched a couple Southampton games after we were linked. One he was good one he was poor. I do believe in both he was the deepest lying midfielder in front of the back four.

He's not superb on the ball but he's not a disaster. He excels at breaking up play and intercepting the ball though, which I have to imagine is why Jose likes him.

Taken from footballwhispers:

The Dane averages 10.59 ball recoveries per 90. No-one in the Premier League has managed more this season.

When compared to midfielders who have played in at least 20 per cent of available minutes this season, Højbjerg ranks 15th for tackles (2.64 per 90). He is 19th for interceptions (1.54). Most impressively, only Paul Pogba betters him for possession regains in the middle third (5.96).

Areas where he can improve but in a new system, new role I’d be happy with someone top of ball recoveries and middle third possession regains and I’m sure he’d help to add a layer to our defensive frailties whilst not breaking the bank to do so. Especially like that he has captain pedigree and has already played at one of the big clubs in Bayern Munich.

And a ball recovery is defined as when a player recovers the ball in a situation where neither team has possession or where the ball has been played directly to him by an opponent, thus securing possession for their team, right?

In terms of tackles as of 16/07/2020 with players who have made at least 10 appearances in the league this season in central or defensive midfield:

9 players rank higher than him.

James McCarthy (Crystal Palace) - 4.5
Wilfred Ndidi (Leicester) - 4.1
Will Hughes (Watford) - 3.2
Declan Rice (West Ham) - 3.1
Tom Trybull (Norwich) - 3
Morgan Schneiderlin (Everton) - 2.9
Marvelous Nakambe (Aston Villa) - 2.8
Oriol Romeu (Southampton) - 2.8
James Ward-Prowse (Southampton) - 2.7

And 5 players rank the same.

HOJBJERG - 2.6
Joao Moutinho (Wolves)
Dale Stephens (Brighton)
Etienne Capoue (Watford)
Fabinho (Liverpool)
Jordan Henderson (Liverpool)

Closest Spurs players:

N'Dombele - 2.5
Lo Celso - 2.2

In terms of interceptions as of 16/07/2020 with players who have made at least 10 appearances in the league this season in central or defensive midfield:

17 players rank higher than him.

Wilfried Ndidi (Leicester) - 2.7
Dani Ceballos (Woolwich) - 2.6
Philip Billing (Bournemouth) - 2.3
Jorginho (Chelsea) - 2 .3
Etienne Capoue (Watford) - 2.3
Ngolo Kante (Chelsea) - 2.3
Dale Stephens (Brighton) - 2
Declan Rice (West Ham) - 2
Jefferson Lerma (Bournemouth) - 2
James McCarthur (Crystal Palace) - 1.9
James Ward-Prowse (Southampton) - 1.8
Morgan Schneiderlin (Everton) - 1.8
Lucas Torreira (Woolwich) - 1.7
Tom Davies (Everton) - 1.7
Oriol Romeu (Southampton) - 1.7
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Liverpool) - 1.7
Marvelos Nakambe (Aston Villa) - 1.7

And 4 rank the same.

HOJBJERG - 1.6
Ruben Neves (Wolves)
Alex Tettey (Norwich)
Cheik Kouyate (West Ham)
Fred (Man Utd)

Closest Spurs players:

Winks - 1.5
Ndombele - 1.4

And only 1 player in the whole entire league as of 16/07/2020 has lost the ball more times than him due to a bad touch.

Dan Gosling (Bournemouth) - 2.4
HOJBJERG - 2.2

Though Ndombele also loses the ball at the same rate as Hojbjerg.

Obviously the good thing about these defensive stats are that there isn't a single Spurs in them so we'd be improving that aspect but per 90, he makes 0.1 more interceptions than Harry Winks and only 0.1 more tackles than Ndombele.

What's worrying is that there are two players in that same Southampton team who are better than him at both tackling and intercepting the ball and don't lose it as often...

I've said it before - I'm all for giving Hojbjerg a chance, if Mourinho has hand picked him and feels he can improve us then so be it. I will back him, just like I've backed all the signings we've made until I've made my own judgement - I wasn't too excited by the signing of Wanyama and he definitely exceeded my expectations.

But we signed him off the back of making:

3.4 interceptions per 90
2.4 interceptions per 90

So putting up a lot monstrous numbers in a much better Southampton team.

here-we-go.jpg

Would be an improvement over our options in his position and is a solid player, would want another midfielder if we sell Ndombele.

KWP seems not to have made a significant impact with both Jose and Poch so I am okay with that as long as another FB joins (Aarons).

Liverpool have played plenty of matches over the last 2 or 3 years without a traditional one. I heard all this many times with Michael Carrick who was our best sitting midfielder of the last 20 years. You dont need to have Claude Makelele in that role.

Liverpool definitely play with a DM, whether it’s Fabinho, Henderson or someone else. As far as Carrick, I’m not sure what point that is supposed to prove. He was very good as a deep lying playmaker and passer, very good at reading the game as well and being positionally sound. He also is retired and I can’t really think of a player comparable to him at the base of any midfield for an elite team right now.

Liverpool definitely play with a DM, whether it’s Fabinho, Henderson or someone else. As far as Carrick, I’m not sure what point that is supposed to prove. He was very good as a deep lying playmaker and passer, very good at reading the game as well and being positionally sound. He also is retired and I can’t really think of a player comparable to him at the base of any midfield for an elite team right now.
Henderson is no more of a defensive midfielder than Holjberg. He has adpated more to that role but in no way is he an out and out DM. My point on Carrick is the same, you can play that role if you're intellegent and can read the game without being a teaditional DM. I'd rather us buy N'didi or even Declan Rice but it isnt going to happen so it looks like its this or nothing.

Back
Top Bottom