Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just watched Hobo’s highlights from the Man U game and it’s amazing how good his passing is, he has a variety of passes which he employs very intelligently.

To beat the press, he floated the ball above the opposition to his team mates on quite a few occasions, and he also made a few decent long range passes to the wings.

All this on top of his tendency to release the ball very early and ability to spot open team mates around our own goal area after we have recovered the ball. His game is perfect for a DM.

I kinda wonder what he was doing at SouthHampton to be honest, and why he was supposedly playing box to box there, he’s too good for them and they let him go too easily.

Just watched Hobo’s highlights from the Man U game and it’s amazing how good his passing is, he has a variety of passes which he employs very intelligently.

To beat the press, he floated the ball above the opposition to his team mates on quite a few occasions, and he also made a few decent long range passes to the wings.

All this on top of his tendency to release the ball very early and ability to spot open team mates around our own goal area after we have recovered the ball. His game is perfect for a DM.

I kinda wonder what he was doing at SouthHampton to be honest, and why he was supposedly playing box to box there, he’s too good for them and they let him go too easily.

He was erratic for them at times. The things he was instructed to do probably forced more passing errors from him than we're seeing now.

Proving me and a lot of other wrong that he's not the true DM we needed. He's not a destroyer but that's not his role it would seem. He just pesters the other team doesn't stop running is in the right place at the right time and has a good eye for a pass.

Happy to eat my pie and I think he might prove to be the best purchase this window

Probably for the best that there isn't a season 2 of All or Nothing, but it would be fascinating to see what the dressing room dynamic is like now (especially at half time) compared to what we saw from last season.

At times there might as well have been a tumbleweed blow across the floor when José was trying to get them going. Thank fuck we have guys like Højbjerg now.
Season 2 is absolutely on the cards if Mourinho turns this team into a trophies-winning one this season, there would be serious anticipation for his famous "season 3 meltdowns" and if he would break the trend this time

Would love to see somebody effectively articulate why Hojbjerg isn't a DM. And explain what a DM is. And whether every winning team of the past decade has required their DM to carry out a role indistinguishable from that of other DM's in winning teams.

To me he looks like an intelligent and motivated player improving with better quality players around him. And looks well suited to the role Jose wants him to play, more suited to it than the role expected of him at Southampton.

Would love to see somebody effectively articulate why Hojbjerg isn't a DM. And explain what a DM is. And whether every winning team of the past decade has required their DM to carry out a role indistinguishable from that of other DM's in winning teams.

To me he looks like an intelligent and motivated player improving with better quality players around him. And looks well suited to the role Jose wants him to play, more suited to it than the role expected of him at Southampton.
He’s a great DM if you ask me, a lot better at that role than I initially imagined.

See any eroneous comparisons with Benjamin Sambouli( frankly stupid people might have made) would have been what Kellyanne Conway would undoubtedly call alternative facts. They would have in no way meant to belittle the new Busqets.

C.harging H.eroic A.venging M.idfielder P.layer O. utstanding

The moment we bought him a so called educated faction on this board started chirping up that he’s not actually a DM

and simple folk like me who hadn’t seen enough of him to effectively argue against, deferred politely to these footballing aficionados.

We hung around in state of confusion asking why we hadn’t purchased a DM and what was his role in the grand scheme if this ‘he’s not a DM element were to be believed’

anyhow turns out it was all nonsense because we needed a DM and this guy since arriving has been nothing but a DM and now proving a very good one.

panic over .... It was all nonsense...,we got our DM

(caveat to any argument that he can pick a pass ....having ability on the ball doesn’t stop one from being a DM)

The terms DM is probably a bit out dated as tactics have changed, a number 6 would be better. Hojbjerg has similar traits to Henderson, he presses, wins possession, moves it quick, by contrast a proper number 6 would be someone like Fabinho. A player who sits and covers the CB’s, dictates play with a wide range of passing and is press resistant. Allen at Everton is fantastic at this.

Most top teams have these type of players, our closest would be Winks, who has been moved back to that role and has pretty reasonable passing, although his defensive cover/positioning could be improved. You don’t necessarily need one of these players but having them can offer better protection of CB’s while allowing full backs and midfielders to go forward with less worry about cover. The likes of Busquests,Alonso, Carrick, have been pivotal in the success of the teams they have played for. We don’t have anyone of that quality in the ‘6’ role, get that and a CB of top quality and our squad would be up there with Liverpool IMO.

I really rate Hojbjerg but you want him doing what he does best, pressing, running everywhere and driving the game forward.

Back
Top Bottom