Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

i watched the game with hoddle as the studio man, how this guy is not involved in a management team i just don't understand

Bbn1XwTIMAAkY1w.jpg

I was unfairly suspect of PEH after his first two games. Thought he was effectively a “Danish Winks” (which sounds like either a desert or a lude sex act).

I was wrong. Has been THE most important player in our current system (in my view). He is effectively the player that allows us to play the way we are.

people talk about doing the "dirty work" but what really strikes me is his first touch and passing.

Generally he'll control the ball with 2 touches or less, and sends it on its way. His passes are almost always perfect. Never lack pace which invites pressure, Never just out of reach which makes the receiver do a short sprint. He keeps it simple, but does deliver a good number of more threatening passes. Rarely is there a weird bobble or spin that tests his teammate's first touch.

I think Ndombele, Winks and Sissko each misplace more passes per game than I've seen out of him most of the season. They have so much to learn from him.

It's really impressive how quickly he has seemingly stepped in and taken a leadership role in the team.

It feels like whoever ends up replacing Jose one day has to make it priority 1 to get Harry and Pierre on their side early. If you have those two on your side the rest of the squad will follow it seems.

people talk about doing the "dirty work" but what really strikes me is his first touch and passing.

Generally he'll control the ball with 2 touches or less, and sends it on its way. His passes are almost always perfect. Never lack pace which invites pressure, Never just out of reach which makes the receiver do a short sprint. He keeps it simple, but does deliver a good number of more threatening passes. Rarely is there a weird bobble or spin that tests his teammate's first touch.

I think Ndombele, Winks and Sissko each misplace more passes per game than I've seen out of him most of the season. They have so much to learn from him.
yea, his touch and crisp passing is quality. he looks like a genuine world class cdm. cant praise the bloke highly enough. then you get the bonus of him being a leader and taking responsibilities, noticed him coming to take the ball off rodon yesterday when others would of hid. MASSIVE player for us

For 3m + KWP? You have to be kidding me. Best value transfer we've had that I can remember!
I've always favoured the cheaper buys, and they've usually been the ones that made the biggest impact for us.

We got Toby, Lloris, Jan, Eriksen, Wanyama for about 11m each. Then followed that up with Dele, Dier, Davies, Trippier for about 5m each.

When we try to splash cash, it's just as hit and miss as when we act cheap, and the hits are never bigger hits than the cheap players who are also hits. So what's the point?

The same pattern is repeating again. As good as Ndombele and Lo Celso are, PEH having a much bigger impact. Rodon is now replacing our record CB signing. 30m Ryan Sessegnon is now out on loan in Germany.

I hope we continue like this, go for cheap and domestic when possible. For a club with limited resources, we're just better off buying a high number of relatively cheap players in the 15 to 35m range, rather than one or two 60/70m players.

I've always favoured the cheaper buys, and they've usually been the ones that made the biggest impact for us.

We got Toby, Lloris, Jan, Eriksen, Wanyama for about 11m each. Then followed that up with Dele, Dier, Davies, Trippier for about 5m each.

When we try to splash cash, it's just as hit and miss as when we act cheap, and the hits are never bigger hits than the cheap players who are also hits. So what's the point?

The same pattern is repeating again. As good as Ndombele and Lo Celso are, PEH having a much bigger impact. Rodon is now replacing our record CB signing. 30m Ryan Sessegnon is now out on loan in Germany.

I hope we continue like this, go for cheap and domestic when possible. For a club with limited resources, we're just better off buying a high number of relatively cheap players in the 15 to 35m range, rather than one or two 60/70m players.

And before those there was Bale for 7m, Lennon for 1m, Rose for 1m, Modric for 16m (which granted was much larger back then), VdV for 8m, Walker + Naughton for 9m . . . and maybe most famously Kane displacing then-club-record Soldado :p

While you obviously can get a VVD hit for big money, and I'm definitely not against those if we're certain we're just that one special player from the top, there are plenty of astute buys that clubs like Leeds, Wolves, Southampton etc are making for under the 20m range (e.g. Podence was 17m, Neto and Jordao for 18m, Raphinha for 19m, James for free). They can be hit or miss especially since they're usually younger and riskier players but looking at our top 20 record signings, those have been pretty hit or miss too. (Plus the higher the fee usually the higher the wages too, so the overall package is even higher.) I dunno if there's a linear return to investment with the scouting department, but I'd like to invest more there.

Just goes to show you don’t have to sign some all singing all dancing over hyped over priced talked up “one game wonder” of a player to succeed a fairly priced honest pro that does his best and gives a 100% more than makes up for it. Perhaps the next time if the same scenario arises we give a signing time to show what he can do rather than writing him of.

Just goes to show you don’t have to sign some all singing all dancing over hyped over priced talked up “one game wonder” of a player to succeed a fairly priced honest pro that does his best and gives a 100% more than makes up for it. Perhaps the next time if the same scenario arises we give a signing time to show what he can do rather than writing him of.

Not been into the Rodon thread since yesterday's game then....? :eriksenserious:

Honestly, that isn't even a bad shout. Especially now that 3-4-3 is a bit of a craze, was Hoddle ahead of the curve ? :sonhmm:

Seriously though, that isn't a bad shape for that shitheap of a squad. Just got to question Townsend in a central role but everything else matches up. Pace wide, two pacey CBs playing either side of Dawson, and two box-box midfielders doing the dirty work while the front three attack...:harryhmm:

Honestly, that isn't even a bad shout. Especially now that 3-4-3 is a bit of a craze, was Hoddle ahead of the curve ? :sonhmm:

Seriously though, that isn't a bad shape for that shitheap of a squad. Just got to question Townsend in a central role but everything else matches up. Pace wide, two pacey CBs playing either side of Dawson, and two box-box midfielders doing the dirty work while the front three attack...:harryhmm:

He left out both Dembele and Eriksen in favour of Andros as a 10. Man’s a lunatic.

Back
Top Bottom