Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Conte may be hurting Sarr's development.
The fact that Sarr has 4 MFs ahead of him in the pecking order may be hurting his development.
...But to be explicitly blaming PEH? ......Meh.

Geezer's just doing what he's been asked to do.... Play football.
Maybe I should have worded it better. The 'blame' should obviously be on Conte. He should have been sacked already.

Sarr being behind the other MFs should still be playing a lot more and PEH should be playing a lot less (or be replaced if he wants to be a starter). Conte's making these terrible choices because he cares only upto the end of his contract. Developing Sarr doesnt benefit him, it benefits the next manager.

Brighton are happy to sell important players because they are Brighton. Their only ambition is to stay up. As long as they don't get relegated they will be happy to trouser huge fees for players like White, Cucurella etc. They are not spending that money on players so that they can challenge for CL.

I am not saying give up and sign nobody, that Hobjerg is the new Modric and can't be replaced. Daft of you to frame it like that. We simply have to be careful. If we sell Hojbjerg and replace him with another Lo Celso for £50m, we are fucked. Let's sign a new midfielder but keep him around until we are sure we can do without.

For the last time - getting money for him is now or never.
You cant eat the eggs AND keep them for future.

And the debate is getting absurd, I will give up.
I say - "look what City and Liverpool do with such situation"
You say - "but...but... we are not City! We can't do this"
I say - "Okay, if that does not suit, look what Brighton is doing, let's do that!"
You say "but...but... we are not Brighton! We can't do this"

I get it - we are Tottenham and we should do Tottenham then in your view.
Cling on to players we have, while being scared that no one better will come for us.

I don't support this kind of ultimate defeatism.

Such a fake warrior. Just like Freund was. I really have no idea what some see in him. Definately part of the problem.
Go easy on them mate, you have clearly been watching the game a lot longer than some people. We live in a very performative age where people demand respect they have not earned. They listen to hype without clearly assessing what it is they are actually seeing. I too made the comparison with Stefan Freund..its like Hojbjerg is a reincarnation.

Terrible footballer complete fake warrior but hey ho tattoos and he's Danish ergo a Viking and they were all warriors...right? Hmm not sure tell you what I'll ask Google 🤔

Wow turns out no all Vikings were not warriors apparently some were pig farmers.

:kanehand:

Not the first time he's done something like this. He has games where he's just totally on it and then he has games like this.

It's why I prefer Skipp, he doesn't stand around like this after being beaten 1v1.

I'm truly excited to see what our midfield would do under a manager who wants them to be creative and bold.

Skipp for example showed a lot of offensive promise on his loan. Sure, championship. But he had an eye for a progressive pass.

Sarr seems like he could have that.

Bentancur obviously could.

I don't remember him saying 4th was a trophy, but I do remember him saying it was a slow building process and that we weren't capable of winning the league without several windows.

Does that invalidate his comments that he feels we haven't progressed this season and have gone backwards?

Do you think think 4th is the pinnacle for a club like Spurs?
It doesn’t invalidate his comments but it’s absolutely his job to get us there. It’s easy to blame something nebulous like “club culture” or “they don’t want to win as much as me” but more than anything it’s his job to get us to win football matches and change the club culture. He failed.

It’s not a sellers market, so few buyers that you have to sell if there’s interest.

In virtually any pursuit; one assigns their efforts according to their priorities........ One can only get so many deals done (be they loans or sales) in one window.

If we hope to shift a lot of (let alone all of) our deadwood (and no, PEH & Dier don't fit that description regardless of your personal opinion of them), then for the very reason you cited, it will take even more effort (time!) than usual to shift them.

As far as squad options go PEH, Dier & Davies can play a part..... We have too many that for whatever reason can't.

Last edited:
I agree, but then I think it'd be even better if they were just sold or given away, whichever is appropriate. Would we be that much worse with Sarr and Rodon (for example) as squad players in place of Dier and Hojbjerg? I'd argue we might be better because the culture of the club improves when the amplifiers of mediocrity are cast out.

Oh I'd LOVE them to be sold. Sick of watching below par footballers. They've both got their uses but they're a pain to watch most of the time.

But we won't. So the very least we can do is make sure they're mostly sat warming a bench, not making us want to claw our eyes out.

We need to clear out mediocre players like this, rather than getting all excited when they have an exceptional game. Hojberg can be a game changer, but unfortunately, he can do that about once in twenty games. Of the other 19, maybe 10 = reliable and 9= liability. Not good enough. Is this the definition of a clogger?

Feels like a bit of a scapegoat to be honest. He's a perfectly decent squad player who is having to play a bigger part than his ability allows for lack of better players.

Do we need to upgrade him? Sure. But let's face it, when Conte consistently plays 2 CMs against teams who know this will happen every time and clog the middle so they're overran, what do you expect?

Other than Benta who is simply a better player, none of our other CMs have looked fantastic. Bissouma looked class at Brighton but hasn't played well in the CM2 in our system.

We have lots of problems in our squad but the vitriol Hoj gets imo is unwarranted. There are other fires in the team id look to put out first, for sure. Perfectly good rotation option, we can't expect him to be a world beater

Constant bashing is getting a bit boring tbh. He has had his good games and great moments (goal vs Marseille, slide rule pass v West Ham) - but like many of our players he is just too inconsistent.

He is never going to be a modric type midfielder with great ability to run the game. Never. Ever. Ever.

That also doesn’t make him a fraud or a championship clogger.

Can he be upgraded? Yes, definitely.

He's ok. If the club actually wanna be a serious force he's a backup standard midfielder. He'd maybe get in the Liverpool squad from the top 6 and that's it.

His mentality obviously fucking stinks also. Happy to not win anything cause we got to the CL knockouts and are round about top 4.

Stinking attitude that they should all be furious we didn't win anything again and limp dicked out against a shit Milan side

He's ok. If the club actually wanna be a serious force he's a backup standard midfielder. He'd maybe get in the Liverpool squad from the top 6 and that's it.

His mentality obviously fucking stinks also. Happy to not win anything cause we got to the CL knockouts and are round about top 4.

Stinking attitude that they should all be furious we didn't win anything again and limp dicked out against a shit Milan side
As I said, he’s clearly an upgradeable member of the starting 11. Just bored of seeing him get bashed over and over again.

Happy to not win anything, mentality stinks. It’s all nonsense and I doubt his mentality is any different to anyone else in the squad, he is just the current favourite to bash over the head.

He has gone up in my estimation - if I was a player I’d be saying the same thing - we do your training we carry out your tactics but we are the ones to blame? I’d be saying name names and tell us exactly where we are falling down or shut up and look in the mirror

Don't get all the rage about his comments tbh....... (Well I do; as it's just driven by people's swelling dislike of his time on the pitch).

The fact is he's always prepared to shoulder criticism when he speaks to the media and if you read the full interview with him he also says he accepts why the manager is rightfully angry with the recent results..... The crux of of anything outside of that was simply that he'd have liked Conte to have been more specific in terms of who he spoke of and why he was criticising them in such a fashion(*).

(*Esp. understandable if Conte's gonna back-peddle and claim he was ONLY critisizing the players all along.)

People are just willfully seizing the wrong end of the stick when he spoke of top 4 and progressing in the cups..... He's just alluding to the impact of the recent losses and that Conte wouldn't have blown up in this manner were it not for those results...... And he's right. He didn't suggest a medicocre cup run and being in the top four are the peak of his or the players aspirations.

Last edited:
The players not only turned up they followed their managers instructions - it was 100% tactical
Just look at Porto’s efforts against inter, like us they went out 1-0 on aggregate drawing the 2nd home leg 0-0 but they had a proper go peppering the inter goal and desperately unlucky to go out - what do we do? 2 shots on target in 180 minutes - with 12 minutes left needing a goal to stay in the competition we take off an attacker for a CB - 100% tactical and on conte

They did it under the last coach and will do it under the next coach eventually. Top players don’t need a manager to motivate them for CL games.

This squad needs to be purged of the weak, mediocre footballers who still start week in, week out. I don’t need to name names. Most know who I mean.

Back
Top Bottom