Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I thought Hojberg played really well last season, scored a few goals, is a committed player and definitely deserves a crack at it this season. He also proved a lot of doubters wrong, I think it was against Southampton that he got took off after not a great performance, then didn't play in the game against Wolves and we lost. He come back into the side and was easily one of our more consistent performers. When there's a bad tackle, moment of aggression on one of our players he's always the first in there having a word with the opposition player or ref. Could do far worse.
Agree but let’s not dismiss how bad he was up to being dropped vs Wolves. Definitely a turning point and much improved after that but horrendous under Nono. He’s been really mixed during his tenure but with some rotation and better players, I’m confident he will keep up the good form next season. Will be interesting to see if Conte rotates the four CM’s, or sticks with his form players like last season.

I like Pierre and he played well last season. Unfortunately Bissouma is a class above and will start the big games with Bentancur I would think.
Bissouma, Richarlison and Perisic are 3 top signings who we can depend on to perform week in, week out.
The squad looks very strong.
If we can shift the 4 who have always been left out plus Tanganga and Rodon ......we will be looking at a top centre half and attacking midfielder/forward coming in.
Onwards and upwards. 2nd game of the season, go to Chelsea and win to put down a marker for the rest of the season.

I like Pierre and he played well last season. Unfortunately Bissouma is a class above and will start the big games with Bentancur I would think.
Bissouma, Richarlison and Perisic are 3 top signings who we can depend on to perform week in, week out.
If we can shift the 4 who have always been left out plus Tanganga and Rodon ......we will be looking at a top centre half and attacking midfielder/forward coming in.
Onwards and upwards. 2nd game of the season, go to Chelsea and win to put down a marker for the rest of the season.
Unfortunately? He was absolutely hopeless until Conte came in.

He was still hopeless when Conte came is and has been awful in pre-season so far.
I hate the bloke, literally despise him but he was good from Feb-May with Benta. Certainly not awful.

He’s been awful generally but played well when it mattered around good players and under a good manager

I hate the bloke, literally despise him but he was good from Feb-May with Benta. Certainly not awful.

He’s been awful generally but played well when it mattered around good players and under a good manager

I don't hate him, although frustrated when he is called a leader and yet constantly blames every other teammate for his mistakes.

Even when Conte came in he still couldn't pass the ball, handle pressure, do anything to help us progress the ball. He was (is) so reliant on passing it to Bentancur anytime there is opposition around him.

He was a massive reason we were so reliant on Kane and Son last year and that when they weren't firing in games against Brighton, Brentford we dropped points because he offers nothing.

I don't hate him, although frustrated when he is called a leader and yet constantly blames every other teammate for his mistakes.

Even when Conte came in he still couldn't pass the ball, handle pressure, do anything to help us progress the ball. He was (is) so reliant on passing it to Bentancur anytime there is opposition around him.

He was a massive reason we were so reliant on Kane and Son last year and that when they weren't firing in games against Brighton, Brentford we dropped points because he offers nothing.

Says the bloke that doesn't rate Kulu either.

Just whisper this quietly please

R658x0.q70

Not sure what to make of these numbers based on the other names on this list but taken at face value, a pairing of PEH and Bissouma would make for quite a stifling midfield.

PEH is quite the enigma as a player.

R658x0.q70

Not sure what to make of these numbers based on the other names on this list but taken at face value, a pairing of PEH and Bissouma would make for quite a stifling midfield.

PEH is very tactically and physically astute, he just lacks a bit on the technical side. Which sometimes render him incapable of performing the action he wants to, which I think makes him slightly nervous on the ball when he hasn't decided what to do.

He's a good midfielder, but you cannot let him come under a lot of pressure. He needs outlets and options to minimize the possible pressure opposition can risk putting, which in a 3-4-3 should be provided by the other midfielder and both wingbacks. Conte also likes to have his outside CBs go up in midfield at times, which has most commonly been Davies the last season.

This is partly why the combo of Reguilon and Emerson was fucking disastrous, and when they don't position correctly, Davies also has to stay back. Meaning there is ONE (1!) option left: the other midfielder.
Now, imagine the ease this creates for a team adept at pressing. Just press the two midfielders and you're done.

Sessegnon and Doherty definitely alleviated this issue as a pairing, but it's not quite enough.
I imagine Perisic will help our midfield greatly on this issue.

Bissouma + Hojbjerg/Betancur will definitely be very annoying to face for opponents.

R658x0.q70

Its interceptions its great but its not the whole story. When the ball is won how you use the ball, how press resistant is the player what's his overall distribution like. PEH works hard. He was poor at times last season and in turn great. I'm not romantic about him Bissouma's a better player and will eventually prove it in a Spurs Shirt. Very glad we got him. The real question is will Skipp turn out better? Hmm not sure the injuries seem like a chronic thing.

PEH is very tactically and physically astute, he just lacks a bit on the technical side. Which sometimes render him incapable of performing the action he wants to, which I think makes him slightly nervous on the ball when he hasn't decided what to do.

He's a good midfielder, but you cannot let him come under a lot of pressure. He needs outlets and options to minimize the possible pressure opposition can risk putting, which in a 3-4-3 should be provided by the other midfielder and both wingbacks. Conte also likes to have his outside CBs go up in midfield at times, which has most commonly been Davies the last season.

This is partly why the combo of Reguilon and Emerson was fucking disastrous, and when they don't position correctly, Davies also has to stay back. Meaning there is ONE (1!) option left: the other midfielder.
Now, imagine the ease this creates for a team adept at pressing. Just press the two midfielders and you're done.

Sessegnon and Doherty definitely alleviated this issue as a pairing, but it's not quite enough.
I imagine Perisic will help our midfield greatly on this issue.

Bissouma + Hojbjerg/Betancur will definitely be very annoying to face for opponents.
Good analysis and I fully agree. His technical failings overshadow some of the things he does well.

Its interceptions its great but its not the whole story. When the ball is won how you use the ball, how press resistant is the player what's his overall distribution like. PEH works hard. He was poor at times last season and in turn great. I'm not romantic about him Bissouma's a better player and will eventually prove it in a Spurs Shirt. Very glad we got him. The real question is will Skipp turn out better? Hmm not sure the injuries seem like a chronic thing.

The injuries are just bad luck..... Unrelated; rather than signs of any underlying issue.

Good analysis and I fully agree. His technical failings overshadow some of the things he does well.
Thank you!

I've been very positive of the signing from the start as I've always thought someone like PEH is vital to a team. Though not exactly the same sort of players, I likened him to Henderson and Milner at first. Two players who were extremely important when Liverpool started to turn things around, and still are to a degree.

They are all 3 extremely competent at following the instructions given by the coach, they all 3 have a very solid baseline of performance and availability. Just the sort of players you need to build from, and if the starting 11 eventually outgrows them, they serve as terrific examples both in training and as rotation.

Now of course, if you let these players be hung out to dry tactically, they will get exposed for their technical weaknesses as well as lacking pace. All these 3 have been derided for such.

If I were to describe PEH to someone who didn't watch football, I'd tell them he's like the well made machinery of old times.:No gimmicks, few functions, heavy, but solid and very dependable.

Back
Top Bottom