Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great signing cos he was exactly what we needed. A proper holding midfielder that knows what to do at the right time. When to step forward and press, when to sit in and cover for someone.

His football IQ is top drawer.

It's noticeable how good he is due to how bad Winks was as a holding midfielder.

Loved see him just draped all over KDB. It was really interesting to see him and Steven pinch down on Kevin.

He has been very disciplined and I am surprised by the smooth transition from the pure box to box to the more conservative, ball hawk. Good play!

hes a good player not top of the tree but good, just imagine if we had a real DM to work with him,I think if we had a top DM, we could move on to winning the big one

Great signing cos he was exactly what we needed. A proper holding midfielder that knows what to do at the right time. When to step forward and press, when to sit in and cover for someone.

His football IQ is top drawer.

It's noticeable how good he is due to how bad Winks was as a holding midfielder.

Square pegs and round holes never work

I still think Winks can be good for us in a 433 as a more all round midfielder

We need to find some use for him as the rules on home grown players in squads mean he's likely to kept around long term

I love that his first instinct when defending is to immediately put body contact on without committing. Nobody is getting past him easily.
For me, his best attribute is his movement off the ball, there are many good DM's who screen the back four, to varying levels they can spoil the oppo build-up but it's only what you'd expect from a good DM and he does this well. But his standout is he is constantly on the move looking to receive the ball, always showing for it, recognising quickly that oppo is blocking a passing lane to him so he moves again, creating angles to receive the pass.

When he's received the ball he's releasing it quickly AND then on the move again, sometimes just a meter or two, sometimes it's a proper 10-15m sprint. You don't have to be a Moussa Dembele in possession to beat their press, if the oppo can't keep track of you and you constantly find pockets of space you can beat oppo press.

For me, his best attribute is his movement off the ball, there are many good DM's who screen the back four, to varying levels they can spoil the oppo build-up but it's only what you'd expect from a good DM and he does this well. But his standout is he is constantly on the move looking to receive the ball, always showing for it, recognising quickly that oppo is blocking a passing lane to him so he moves again, creating angles to receive the pass.

When he's received the ball he's releasing it quickly AND then on the move again, sometimes just a meter or two, sometimes it's a proper 10-15m sprint. You don't have to be a Moussa Dembele in possession to beat their press, if the oppo can't keep track of you and you constantly find pockets of space you can beat oppo press.
Definitely agree with you.
He's never hiding from it and making quick decisive passes when he does get it.

Back
Top Bottom