Player Assessment Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tomo

Supporter
Thought it would be interesting to look at our current squad in terms of their performances this season, there suitability to Poch's system and style and as to whether they have a future with us and what future that will be.

Lloris

Performance: 9.5/10 World Class.
Suitability: Suitable - brilliant shot stopper, quick off his line which suits our high line, some poor distribution.
Future: PSG, Barca, Manure unfortunately.

Vorm

Performance: 7/10 Good, a nice all round keeper.
Suitability: Suitable - bit slow off his line but better distribution than Lloris IMO.
Future: Either back up or first choice, glad to have him.

Friedel

Performance: N/A.
Suitability: N/A.
Future: coaching.

Walker

Performance: 6/10 Up and down not as good as prior to his injury.
Suitability: Suitable - quick and strong but sometime prone to brain farts and and needs to improve crossing.
Future: hopefully with us but needs competition to push him on.

Rose

Performance: 9/10 Outstanding.
Suitability: Suitable - good going forward and now with a great defensive game, got the engine and attacking instincts for our system.
Future: long term left back for us.

Kaboul

Performance: 3/10 Was crap when he played earlier this season.
Suitability: Not suitable - Too slow now and positionally all over the shop.
Future: sold.

Verts

Performance: 7/10 Been reasonable, bit dodgy in defence though.
Suitability: Suitable - Great ball playing defender which fits out style but needs to work on defence.
Future: Probably with us as he is not as good as when he first came and therefore probably won't attract the big guns.

Chriches

Performance: 5/10 some ok performances mixed with awful.
Suitability: Not suitable but should be - without the mistakes he would be perfect for us as he is quick and skilful.
Future: somewhere else, I think he will have a good career but not here.

Dier

Performance: 8.5/10 been thrown in the deep end and often out of position at right back, been after Rose our best defender this season but a wide margin. Quick, strong, skilful but lacking experience.
Suitability: Suitable -Perfect for us.
Future: With us and England as well.

Davies

Performance: 5/10 some good early season performances, faded and was bad today against the Saints.
Suitability: Just about suitable as back up - needed as without him we have not real back up to Rose unless we play Verts out of position.
Future: We need someone to be there for Rose and he will do.

Fazio

Performance: 7/10. Mixed.
Suitability: Not sure -Strong and experienced but gets caught on his toes and not the quickest.
Future: Good back up defender, needs to better mark the big players going forward.

Yedlin

Performance: N/A.
Suitability: N/A.
Future: Hopefully give Walker a run for money next year and make him player better.

Paulinho

Performance: 2/10 too slow on the ball, positionally all over the place, not clever enough, was ok against Newcastle the high point of the season for him.
Suitability: LOL.
Future: Somewhere else.

Lamela

Performance: 5/10 some nice passing, pressing and link play mixed with poor decision making and a lack of bite.
Suitability: Not sure -in theory should be perfect but it's just not worked.
Future: Hard to tell, he has the tools to make it but doesn't seem to know how to use though's tools.

Townsend

Performance: 4/10 some skills but can't defender/press well, links poorly with others.
Suitability: Probably not - If he is to work I think he should be played on his natural left side as an out and out winger.
Future: shaky thing he might go even though as a Spurs fan I have sympathy.

Dembele

Performance: 6.5/10 other than West Ham I think in the AM role he offers power and control none of our other players have and we look better with him on as we can hold the ball up in the final third and actually build an attacking base.
Suitability: I hope he is - Can do the Felanini role for us and like the Felanini doesn't have much creativity unfortunately.
Future: Would prefer him to stay if we can't get a David Silva type ball player up top but I feel he may go. Shame as I think he's very good.

Chadli

Performance: 6.5/10 great goal scoring but doesn't offer to much else, a Dempsey figure.
Suitability: Sort of suitable - Ok in the side to supplement goal scoring but only if we get better ball players around him to cover his deficiencies.
Future: Personally I think he should stay but as a game changing sub who can be played across the attacking 3 or even as an emergency striker.

Eriksen

Performance: 7/10 goes from brilliance to mediocrity.
Suitability: Suitable - better on the left, gets bullied in the middle of the park, needs a ball playing CM to playing next to him I feel like Chadli.
Future: Here for a while I feel.

Capoue

Performance: 3/10 ok in first few games but also lazy in terms of following attacking players.
Suitability: Not Suitable - doesn't have work rate required for us.
Future: Sold.

Mason

Performance: 6.5/10 Good all round skills and work rate but can drift in and out of games.
Suitability: Suitable - Perhaps him and Bentaleb should not be played together, he might be better further forward.
Future: With us, first 11 or sub is the question.

Bentaleb

Performance: 9/10 brilliant all round footballer.
Suitability: Suitable - Perfect, was originally an AM so would be interesting to see if he could also playing in a more forward position.
Future: Spurs, maybe Spurs captain material.

Stambouli

Performance: 5/10 ok but slow
Suitability: Not suitable - Seems like Schnierderlin if he were running in custard.
Future: Sold

Soldado

Performance: 2/10 striker who cannot score.
Suitability: Not suitable - can't play the lone striker as he get bullied to easily so can't even use as a target man.
Future: Sold.

Ade

Performance: 2/10 off this season.
Suitability: Not suitable - Not a lone striker.
Future: Sold ASAP

Kane

Performance: 10/10 30 goals, great hold/link play, hardworking, great all round game.
Suitability: Suitable - Perfect for us, only issue since the Chelsea Cup Final defeat and Mourinho's swamp him tactics is that teams put 3-4 players on him when he gets the ball which should in theory give Eriksen, Chaldi and Lamela more room but doesn't for some reason.
Future: Please stay for life.

Suitable for Pochs pressing system IMO.

Suitable

Lloris
Vorm
Walker
Dier
Verts
Rose
Mason
Bentaleb
Eriksen
Kane

Not sure

Yedlin
Davies
Fazio
Dembele
Chadli
Lamela
Chriches

Not suited

Paulinho
Capoue
Kaboul
Ade
Soldado
Stambouli
Townsend

Think some of these scores are a little off.

• I'd give Jan a 6.5, if that. For a senior defensive partner I think he's done pretty poor. Look at our goal record.
  • Dier, for his age, has been good but from an objective stand point has had some awful games. 6.5.
  • Lamela a 6. He's made progress, perhaps not as much as we want but still a decent return for his 1st season.
  • I think Chadli has been better for us this season than Eriksen. Deserves at least a 7.5, considering his personal tragedy and early performances. I think he has potential to improve a lot too, easy to forget he's only 25. Hope he stays for the long term; one of the best midfielders in the league this year.
  • Stambouli has barely had any game time, that's something to bear in mind. Think a 5 is harsh, one of the lowest scores in the squad?

• I think Stambouli hasn't had enough games to prove himself. Although he offers something different compared to our other CMs he's still bang average. We signed the wrong Midfielder from Montepillier, we should've gone for Sanson.

• would also put Walker in 'not suited list'. He's arguably the least intelligent but most athletic full back I've ever seen. Don't mind him holding that position for 2/3 years before KWP steps up though.

• Bentaleb and Dier have massive potentials, would love to see Dier tried in CDM role one day.

GK: Lloris, Vorm
LB: Rose, Davies
CB: Vertonghen, Fazio, Dier, Howedes
RB: Yedlin, Walker (Unless he massively improves, he should be nowhere near the first team)
DM: Bentaleb, New DM
CM: Mason, New CM to replace Mason (Dream would be Schneiderlin/Moutinho kind of player)
AM: Eriksen, Pritchard
LW: Chadli, New winger to replace Chadli in the first team
RW: Townsend, New first team winger
ST: Kane, Lacazette, Youngster from the academy

Sell : Kaboul, Chiriches, Dembele (not worth keeping as a squad player), Stambouli (clearly not in Poch's plans), Capoue, Paulinho, Lamela, Lennon, Soldado, Ade.

Buy : Starting 11 CM (Think this is the most important signing), Starting 11 LW and RW (Need clear improvements on the wing), Starting 11 CD and striker to compete with Kane.

Lot of changes, but we need to do this so that atleast in a year's time we no longer can be in a transition year and have a proper squad that has played with each other for at least a year.

Sell 5 or 6 players.
Replace them too late to give the new players a pre-season.
Use this as an excuse for them performing badly.
Sack the manager
New manager comes in.
First season disappointing, but give him time.
Sell 5 or 6 players.
Ad nauseam.

Taking a score of 5/10 as average .

Lloris , 8.5/10
Our world class player .

Vorm , 6/10
Not in the same league as the above .

Walker , 4/10
No touch , but way below his other seasons performances.

Rose , 7/10
The best performances this season from any defender .
Limited technic to be a great player.

Verts , 6/10
Our best defender but his heart is somewhere else .

Dier 6/10
Goodish first season.

Davies, 4/10
A waste of money so far .

Fazio , 5/10
A gentle giant .

Paulinho, 1/10
Makes Rebrov seem a wonder buy .

Lamela, 4/10
Shown nothing to justify his price .

Townsend 4/10
Another useless inverted winger.

Dembele 5/10
Occasionally okay but little impact .

Chadli 6/10
A player with little influence but does score .

Eriksen, 6.5/10
Has the ability but drifts from games .

Mason 6/10
Not bad at times but goes missing .

Benty 6.5/10
I don't get the love in . He is alright but a Jack of all trades .

stambouli 4/10
3rd choice cheapo lives up to billing .

Soldado 2/10
A disaster .

Ade 1/10
A greedy idiot .

Kane 9.5/10
Our man of the season but needs better players around him .

Last edited:
Sell 5 or 6 players.
Use this as an excuse for them performing badly.
Sack the manager
New manager comes in.
First season disappointing, but give him time.
Sell 5 or 6 players.
Ad nauseam.

:levyeyes:

GK: Lloris, Vorm
LB: Rose, Davies
CB: Vertonghen, Fazio, Dier, Howedes
RB: Yedlin, Walker (Unless he massively improves, he should be nowhere near the first team)
DM: Bentaleb, New DM
CM: Mason, New CM to replace Mason (Dream would be Schneiderlin/Moutinho kind of player)
AM: Eriksen, Pritchard
LW: Chadli, New winger to replace Chadli in the first team
RW: Townsend, New first team winger
ST: Kane, Lacazette, Youngster from the academy

Sell : Kaboul, Chiriches, Dembele (not worth keeping as a squad player), Stambouli (clearly not in Poch's plans), Capoue, Paulinho, Lamela, Lennon, Soldado, Ade.

Buy : Starting 11 CM (Think this is the most important signing), Starting 11 LW and RW (Need clear improvements on the wing), Starting 11 CD and striker to compete with Kane.

Lot of changes, but we need to do this so that atleast in a year's time we no longer can be in a transition year and have a proper squad that has played with each other for at least a year.

I think Poch has been talking about hitting the transfer window quick and hard. We have a good number of players we don't use so obviously a lot of sales.

I am hoping with Mitchell we have scouted well this time and are ready to snap up some bargains. Our top 4 challenge next year seems entirely dependent on a brilliant transfer window. Fingers crossed.

I think Poch has been talking about hitting the transfer window quick and hard. We have a good number of players we don't use so obviously a lot of sales.

I am hoping with Mitchell we have scouted well this time and are ready to snap up some bargains. Our top 4 challenge next year seems entirely dependent on a brilliant transfer window. Fingers crossed.
Yep, I think it may be rather different to what most people expect. Will depend on sales though...

Lloris 9.5/10
Best goalkeeper in the league, but I see him leaving

Kane 9.5/10
Everything has been said about him

Rose 8.5/10
Great season and has really become an important player in our style of play

Bentaleb 8/10
Will be a world class defensive midfielder one day

Vorm 7/10
Solid and relieable back-up, happy to have him as a number 2

Mason 7/10
Important player aswell - does what was expected off Paulinho

Eriksen 7/10
Saved us very often, should play as a AM, but we need better wingers first

Fazio 6.5/10
Has one or two fuck ups from time to time, but he is my first choice centerback

Chadli 6.5/10
Started to score regularly and will be better next season

Vertonghen 6/10
Overrated defender, has been average since his first season and a wrong attitude

Dembele 6/10
Doesn't suit our style of play and offers little - very one-dimensional player

Dier 6/10
Solid first season, great prospect

Townsend 5.5/10
Only winger who has pace, but way too many mistakes - not good enough

Lamela 5/10
Not suited for the Prem, he will be given a last next season though

Walker 5/10
Bad season overall, but an important player

Davies 5/10
Bad game yesterday, hope he gets more game time, still young

Paulinho 3.5/10
Some good games don't make up for his reputation and price tag

Capoue 3/10
Started well into the season - that is all

Chiriches 3/10
Often played out of position, but not suited for the Prem aswell

Soldado 2.5/10
What the fuck

Adebayor 0/10

Left out Yedlin and Stambouli - I think DeAndre has the potential to become a good PL player, Stambouli can stay if he is happy with this role

Think some of these scores are a little off.

• I'd give Jan a 6.5, if that. For a senior defensive partner I think he's done pretty poor. Look at our goal record.
  • Dier, for his age, has been good but from an objective stand point has had some awful games. 6.5.
  • Lamela a 6. He's made progress, perhaps not as much as we want but still a decent return for his 1st season.
  • I think Chadli has been better for us this season than Eriksen. Deserves at least a 7.5, considering his personal tragedy and early performances. I think he has potential to improve a lot too, easy to forget he's only 25. Hope he stays for the long term; one of the best midfielders in the league this year.
  • Stambouli has barely had any game time, that's something to bear in mind. Think a 5 is harsh, one of the lowest scores in the squad?

With Dier I feel that with Verts and Walker being off form for a lot of the season he has had to put in some very brave performances not to mention being played at right back at times where he has done quite well. For me because of our season and the way it has panned out he has played exceptionally well considering the circumstances hence the high score, I also feel he is able to play a high line because of his pace so very happy with him.

Chadli is a weird one, he doesn't really fit the system in terms of defending and pressing but he does score important goals, I am happy with him playing as long as we don't have townsend on the other side as when both are on not pressing or defending well we lose shape in my view. Chadli to some degree is a luxury player that if used right can benefit us. Eriksen was fanatastic for part of the season but has tailed off, I don't like him in the middle at all, he gets bullied would prefer him slightly to the left or right so he has more room to operate.

Last edited:
If Ade is 2, then Soldado should get 1. Ade actually score more goals than him from open play in these 2 seasons.

I will probably give 4 for Lamela. Just feel he doesn't look much different from last season. If not for his price tag, he will probably also be on top of the to sell list.

If Ade is 2, then Soldado should get 1. Ade actually score more goals than him from open play in these 2 seasons.

I will probably give 4 for Lamela. Just feel he doesn't look much different from last season. If not for his price tag, he will probably also be on top of the to sell list.

It's all a matter of opinion but however you spin it ade and Bobby have been poor in their own ways.

wow you bunch of over negative cunts.
Fazio: Strong, alert, accident prone but so is everyone (People slag him off for him against Benteke, he'd just returned from injury against a striker bang in form) he is also a weak against pace if his CDMs leave him exposed. However he is so strong in the air by comparison to our other options I'd start for him the next season 7/10.

Paulinho: Y'all are going to disagree like fuck. What do we need? (Amongst other things) a deep lying midfielder. Does Paulinho have a confidence issue, you can bet your house on it. Is he currently the only CM with the ability to pass glorious passes forward? Yes. It may have only been Newcastle who's defence is 50 shades of shit but he showed with his passes up to Kane that if given the opportunity he can transfer with great accuracy up to the front. He passes into space as well, Dembele can't do this, Mason doesn't have the experience. Somewhere in that body of Paulinho is a real player. We're not going to get Moutinho or Modric but we need a player who sits back and can dictate play. A laughable suggestion for Paulinho now but if he got a proper pre-season under his belt I'd give him one more season. 3/10 (now) 8/10 (potentially)

Soldado: Good technical player, inside but we now have a much better alternative in Kane. I would have used him and Adebayor up top in a 4-4-2 in the cup competitions. Allow them to become a reliable Plan B. But we need to look towards the future without either him or Adebayor. 3/10

Chiriches: Another who has ability but is also shy of confidence. He took a battering under Sherwood during the drubbings against City, Liverpool, Chelsea last season and hasn't regained his form since that period. Don't forget how brilliant a partnership he formed for a while alongside Dawson for a period of 10 games last season. Still young for a centre back so wouldn't rush to throw him out the door. 4/10

Chadli: Cliché alert, but a Royals Royce of a player. On his day is unplayable (see Chelsea). Does he drift out of games? Yes, but does he also always maintain a threat? Yes. Frankly we have far more pressing concerns involving Lamela and Townsend. -1 for Stupid hair. 7/10

Davies: Okay he's properly shit, unlike all of the above I haven't even seen flashes that he's good enough. Saying that he's only a few months older than Yedlin so he needs more time to learn. If we had cover for Rose (which we don't unless we sign Howedes) then I'd loan him out. Wouldn't want to see him in the first xi for another 2/3 years. 2/10

Lamela: Wanted him to come good, but he's a melodramatic for my liking, and how many times can a player trip over themselves? If a good offer comes in for him let him go. However as it is unlikely that one will materialise I want him to have a transformation over the summer. I want a beard, I want him to ditch the mullet, to bulk up and to spend time on his sprinting with the ball. He looks like a boy and it is time he turned into a man. 2.5/10

wow you bunch of over negative cunts.
Fazio: Strong, alert, accident prone but so is everyone (People slag him off for him against Benteke, he'd just returned from injury against a striker bang in form) he is also a weak against pace if his CDMs leave him exposed. However he is so strong in the air by comparison to our other options I'd start for him the next season 7/10.

Paulinho: Y'all are going to disagree like fuck. What do we need? (Amongst other things) a deep lying midfielder. Does Paulinho have a confidence issue, you can bet your house on it. Is he currently the only CM with the ability to pass glorious passes forward? Yes. It may have only been Newcastle who's defence is 50 shades of shit but he showed with his passes up to Kane that if given the opportunity he can transfer with great accuracy up to the front. He passes into space as well, Dembele can't do this, Mason doesn't have the experience. Somewhere in that body of Paulinho is a real player. We're not going to get Moutinho or Modric but we need a player who sits back and can dictate play. A laughable suggestion for Paulinho now but if he got a proper pre-season under his belt I'd give him one more season. 3/10 (now) 8/10 (potentially)

Soldado: Good technical player, inside but we now have a much better alternative in Kane. I would have used him and Adebayor up top in a 4-4-2 in the cup competitions. Allow them to become a reliable Plan B. But we need to look towards the future without either him or Adebayor. 3/10

Chiriches: Another who has ability but is also shy of confidence. He took a battering under Sherwood during the drubbings against City, Liverpool, Chelsea last season and hasn't regained his form since that period. Don't forget how brilliant a partnership he formed for a while alongside Dawson for a period of 10 games last season. Still young for a centre back so wouldn't rush to throw him out the door. 4/10

Chadli: Cliché alert, but a Royals Royce of a player. On his day is unplayable (see Chelsea). Does he drift out of games? Yes, but does he also always maintain a threat? Yes. Frankly we have far more pressing concerns involving Lamela and Townsend. -1 for Stupid hair. 7/10

Davies: Okay he's properly shit, unlike all of the above I haven't even seen flashes that he's good enough. Saying that he's only a few months older than Yedlin so he needs more time to learn. If we had cover for Rose (which we don't unless we sign Howedes) then I'd loan him out. Wouldn't want to see him in the first xi for another 2/3 years. 2/10

Lamela: Wanted him to come good, but he's a melodramatic for my liking, and how many times can a player trip over themselves? If a good offer comes in for him let him go. However as it is unlikely that one will materialise I want him to have a transformation over the summer. I want a beard, I want him to ditch the mullet, to bulk up and to spend time on his sprinting with the ball. He looks like a boy and it is time he turned into a man. 2.5/10
Hang on Freudy, over negative cunts yet you value five out of seven players 4/10 or lower?
:llorisserious:

Back
Top Bottom