Players kicking off the last 4 decades

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which decade opening 11 had the most quality since 1990?

• Total voters
2010 is probably the best group of players in terms of ability, but I simply loved that 89-91 team, albeit with Erik in goal. Mimms was shite.

It was the 89-91 team that cemented my obsession and love for Tottenham Hotspur. The Hummel home and away shirts. Lillywhite and yellow perfection. We were pacey, exciting, vulnerable but exiting. White Hart Lane was a very fun place to be. We had goals too. Lineker and Gazza obvs., but Paul Allen, Paul Stewart, Walsh, David Howells and even Vinny Samways were capable of scoring crackers. God I wish I could be watching that lot every week.

Yes, 2020 is supposedly a more complete set of international stars, but their effort and cohesion is nothing on the Venables set. Fuck, that's left me feeling nostalgic, old, emotional... and depressed at the money-driven plastic mess of the current era.

AMF.

Obviously, the current squad is the most expensive and has the most international experience, when compared to balance of the league, but when you look at where they are/were to where they should be, 2010 is the best (only slightly better than 1990 though). It's hard to say that in 2010 we could have had a better squad considering our resources. There are some overrated/overpaid players in the current squad, and if you look at who's on the bench, it's even worse.

Last edited:
My combined first choice XI

Ian walker
Steve Sedgeley
Gary Mabbut
Toby Alderweirald
Gareth Bale
Paul Gascoigne
David Ginola
Christian Eriksen
Luca Modric
Harry Kane