Players we have signed in the past 5 years

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All sourced from wikipedia, these are the players we have signed in the past 5 years:

2020-21: Alfie Devine, Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, Joe Hart, Matt Doherty, Keenan Ferguson, Sergio Reguilón, Marcel Lavinier, Tobi Omole, Joe Rodon.

19-20: Kion Etete, Isak Midttun Solberg, Jack Clarke, Tanguy Ndombele, Ryan Sessegnon, Michel Vorm, Giovani Lo Celso, Steven Bergwijn.

18-19: No Signings (!!)

17-18: Davinson Sánchez, Paulo Gazzaniga, Juan Foyth, Serge Aurier, Fernando Llorente, Lucas Moura.

16-17: Victor Wanyama, Vincent Janssen, Juan Pablo Gonzalez Velasco, Georges-Kévin Nkoudou, Moussa Sissoko, Maximus Tainio.

Now, I don't know about you, but I count ONE player in those 5 years who was a player we needed, came in, played well and improved the team unequivocally - Wanyama. ONE proper player in 5 years and millions upon millions spent on players who have performed anywhere from average to total shit (and I will inclide everybody's favourites, Reguilón, Hojbjerg and N'Dombele in the 'average' group).

Think of our best players over those 5 years: Kane, Son, Dele, Eriksen, Dembele, Wanyama, Walker, Rose, Toby, Vertonghen, Lloris...even add the likes of Davies, Dier and Trippier if you like (who all performed well at times under Poch). They all were signed/here more than 5 years ago! Look at some of the absolute shite we have been spending money on.

It doesn't matter who the new manager is, until we can start identifying proper footballers and signing them, we are going nowhere. In my opinion, Levy has put all his focus on the stadium and forgot about the most important thing, the fucking team on the pitch. Now Jose and Poch can share some of the blame for who we have bought (and please nobody try to tell me Hojbjerg can lace Wanyama's boots) but Levy is the main one at fault, especially for the travesty of 2018-19 where no signings at all were made.

Levy has to go back to the DoF system or something close to it, because whoever the cunts are who decide our transfer strategy have failed monumentally in their job these past 5 years. And instead of building on an excellent team we had that finished 2nd to Chelsea in the 2016-17 season, we have let it fall apart.
Hitchen is a cunt right?

Until last season the person who signed most of those players was Pochettino, equally he turned down plenty of others that have turned out to be good.
100% correct.
Poch was a good coach but in the transfer marking he was absolutely clueless.
Hopefully he stays at PSG and re signs some of the shit he bought at Spurs.

The whole recruitment team want sacking at the end of the season - enough is enough. They're completely fucking incompetent. We just chuck money around without any rhyme or reason, no identity, no plan, clueless wankers.

Who recruited them!

I think it's hard to know what the right model is, and ultimately you only know at the end of a cycle.

Time for change in that area 100%

Our scouting is a joke. And you put levy wanting always the bargains all together. And that results in the mess we are in.

When you lay it out like the opening post it is absolutely dreadful the shite we have bought. Only there or four really good players in there. It doesn’t bode well for the future. Getting rid of them is an impossibility too with levy at the helm.

It is the Scouts that are the problem led by Hitchen. As with the Manager position, they draw up potential lists and actually go and watch these players and not Levy or the Manager. How is Hitchen still in a job? He was less than impressive in the Amazon film and his recommendations are also less than impressive. I do not dispute Levy may have not bought some good players but based on those we did buy, we paid high fees at times but they have not performed.

100% correct.
Poch was a good coach but in the transfer marking he was absolutely clueless.
Hopefully he stays at PSG and re signs some of the shit he bought at Spurs.
But did he really want them?

Or was it:

Levy: 'Here's Sissoko... or nothing at all'.
Poch: '...'
Levy: '...'
Poch: 'Okay, I'll do my best with him'.

The thick snake Levy always thinks he saves a bargain buying cheap - but long term this strategy wastes far more on wages and Agent fees

1x proper signing on 120k / week over 5 years

3x shit cunt Njies on 60k / week over 5 years

LMFAO

Sanchez, Lo Celso & NDombele cost us 150m lol
What's even worse is that we did this when we were a top 4 club, with a manager who had a track record of improving players and who many players were desperate to play for. Our draw as a club had never been stronger.

GLC and Ndombele we'd just been in the CL Final. We finally had a chance to attract really top talent, and not just get the leftovers after the likes of Utd, City, Chelsea had taken their pick.

Last edited:
I’d recommend the book “Boot Sale” by Nige Tassell. Loads of “view points” on the transfer market. One take away point is that virtually all scouting now is report / data based, rather than actually watching players in action, and that ultimately everyone knows the best talents. Makes me think that we keep punting money on tripe for no reason other than turning a few bob on an accounting trick. Why else sign Kevin N’Cludeo types. There is a reason no other “top” club wanted him at their hotel for a month !

The thick snake Levy always thinks he saves a bargain buying cheap - but long term this strategy wastes far more on wages and Agent fees

1x proper signing on 120k / week over 5 years

3x shit cunt Njies on 60k / week over 5 years

LMFAO

They are cosplaying as football directors. There is a reason Levy linked his million pound bonus to infrastructure and not on field success.

It is the Scouts that are the problem led by Hitchen. As with the Manager position, they draw up potential lists and actually go and watch these players and not Levy or the Manager. How is Hitchen still in a job? He was less than impressive in the Amazon film and his recommendations are also less than impressive. I do not dispute Levy may have not bought some good players but based on those we did buy, we paid high fees at times but they have not performed.
Exactly - according to Wikipedia (!), Hitchen was appointed the chief scout for Tottenham Hotspur in February 2017 as a replacement for Paul Mitchell - coincidence that the transfer rot sets in then too??

But did he really want them?

Or was it:

Levy: 'Here's Sissoko... or nothing at all'.
Poch: '...'
Levy: '...'
Poch: 'Okay, I'll do my best with him'.
It’s easy enough to tell by reading between the lines who Pochettino clearly favoured signing and who he didn’t (and don’t get me wrong there are plenty of duds he did obviously want, Aurier and Sanchez for example) but a lot of the absolute rif raf we signed under his tenure were either spreadsheet signings or backups after failing to get our first or second choices.

It’s easy enough to tell by reading between the lines who Pochettino clearly favoured signing and who he didn’t (and don’t get me wrong there are plenty of duds he did obviously want, Aurier and Sanchez for example) but a lot of the absolute rif raf we signed under his tenure were either spreadsheet signings or backups after failing to get our first or second choices.
Bless his heart but Poch does not have a great record as a transfer scout anywhere he's been.

Lucky for him, he's also a hell of a man manager and coach so he's of great use to a football club.

Steve Hitchen does not have this excuse.

Back
Top Bottom