Players worth keeping an eye on playing for other clubs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Micky van de Ven​

STRENGTHS​

• Dynamic, big-bodied athlete
  • Extraordinary ball-carrier from deep
  • Elements of dominance as defender

WEAKNESSES​

• Technique in one-v-one situations
  • Lacks focus in defensive situations

Background​

Micky van de Ven broke into the FC Volendam first-team two months into the 2019/20 season, and he has not looked back. Since making his senior debut in the Eerste Divisie, Van de Ven has started almost every game he has been available. He impressed last season but has improved again this, and has recently assumed the role of captain of the club he joined at 12 years old.

This summer, Van de Ven was mired in controversy as his agent, Mino Raiola, tried to engineer a deserved move away from Volendam. After threats of legal action and a later retraction, he eventually got his move, joining Bundesliga club Vfl Wolfsburg.

STYLE OF PLAY​

Van de Ven played as the left-sided centre-back in a 4-3-3 shape for FC Volendam. He possesses a tall, lean but athletic build with very long limbs. He uses his size to overwhelm opponents in contact in defensive situations and when protecting/carrying the ball. The Dutchman has a good burst of speed off the mark and an excellent change of speed over longer distances which he uses to maintain/increase separations created by initial accelerations.
He plays with an aggressive style which has its positives and negatives, but certainlt has elements of dominance in his skillset. His athleticism enables him to cover big spaces behind defence and in wider areas, while he utilises his large frame in contact; good at sealing/levering against the ball to disrupt opponents cleanly and recover possession effectively. His timing in challenges is average though, and he can lack composure when diving in too aggressively. He possesses poor technique in one-on-one duels, often standing too upright and unbalanced in his posture – he needs to be lower to match opponents and shift direction.
Crucially, his focus can slip at times, and he can be beaten too easily by simple changes of tempo. Conversely, he is solid in aerial duels; again, he uses his frame well to give himself decent reach and conviction in headers. He is not dominant in the air, but there is clear potential.

On the ball, he has good technical ability in general, with strong fundamental skills and unique nuances in build-up. Clean, consistent first touches help him to set up positive actions. He is not a standout passer but has adequate technique, especially with switches to wider areas. Composed and confident under pressure, he commits players to dribble out of small spaces and drive forward while manipulating the ball with neat close control. He is then able to burst out of pressure and drive forward with great athleticism.
He is excellent at carrying into midfield and beyond from the back, blowing past defenders on the outside with long strides and withstanding challenges at full speed. From there, he executes good passes/crosses inside while on the move. He is extremely disruptive and difficult to stop as he carries the ball forwards.

Eze is some player. Coming back from a bad injury and getting right back in the groove this season.

I really hope he gets a look in for England soo, he'd be tough to get out of Palace anytime soon.

£12m is a bargain for them.

Anyone watch the Celtic vs Shaktar game tonight?

Guy playing in a forward left side of MF position, Mykhallo Mudryk, scored an absolute cracker of a goal. He is probably the fastest player I have ever seen with a ball at his feet.Gooners were said to be interested in the summer but apparently wouldn't fork out any more than £30m.
IMO we should be offering almost double that, the guy is a fabulous player, 21 years old going to be an absolute superstar.
Mudryk has been mentioned many times already on here and yes i'd be all over him if we could. He looks like a fantastic talent.

Caught a glimpse of a left-footed centre half called Jorrel Hato (16) playing for Holland, he's at Ajax currently. Think he captains both sides.

Something special about him IMO, would expect Ajax to hand him a full debut this season at some point.

Harder to tell at this age, but looks one for the future.

Sess - 30m
Spence - 20m

Why not this guy?

......Another one that if you were smart you'd sign him and loan him straight back for another season.
Sess 30m

I Think You Should Leave Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

Why are you assuming so much? No, I do not base my posts in this thread on youtube clips but on what
other people – who have actually watched those players many a time – says about them. In fact, in most case those people who have in fact watched the players more than 2 times.

Why take it so darn serious? Neither me nor any other who post in this thread are scouts so it’s not as if the club are going out to buy these players by reading out posts anyway.

I personally simply find it interesting each time someone mentions a player I haven’t heard and am not bothered if I agree or disagree with the poster. Just enjoy the fun.

Besides, what is your idea of “worth keeping an eye on” anyway? Many youngsters who were considered “worthy” later made , while others who were “worthy” didn't live up to their early promises and later on become “non-worthy”. You don’t know for sure – and neither do I, nor even top scouts.
Neither van de Ven nor Harry Kane were seen as top prospect in their teens; while there are plenty of examples of top youth prospect not making the grade; Onomha, Moriba and Matty Longstaff are 3 of many examples of that (well, Moriba is still young but nowhere near the player he was predicted to be at this stage).

And if one should follow your standards there would hardly be any posts in the thread. But since you are so easily annoyed by my posts just put me and the other posters who annoy on ignore - it could save you plenty of stress. Or even better, stop reading the thread as most posters anyway won’t live up your, errr… standards.

And since you are such an expert why don’t you post more of players you think is worth watching?! You must be knowing at least 10-15 prospect who are sure to make the grade and become top quality players, and all worthy of becoming Spurs players. I’ll be waiting….

But often case, those who complain in this thread are often those who does not post at all.

Lots of words.

Fuck Off would have done it

Brathwaite at Everton looks the real deal to me

Big and dominate. A VDV type player.

Interesting how the trend for CB’s is increasing huge and athletic. If your Dier’s size you have to be Romero level good.

Just look at our youngsters. Dorrington, Philips and Vuskovic. All 6’4ft plus and quick.

Thought I'd start this thread being someone who watches a fair amount of football when it's on of an evening as I love it when a player catches your eye & then goes onto big things.

So far I've seen TFC members identity players like Benjamin Pavard & Alphonso Davies well before they became well known & with our fans seemingly spread across the world on this site, I thought a thread where you can put forward names that have excited you as something worth doing.

I've only caught glimpses of these guys so far this season but I really like the look of Saiz & Alioski playing at Leeds & there's a Kosovan kid who plays as number 10 for Swansea (Bersant Celina) that has instantly caught my eye in the 20 minutes of football I've seen him play tonight Vs Birmingham.

Anyone know of any others worth a post & for others to keep their eyes on? Could become an interesting thread

Bissouma at Brighton if we are sticking to English football.

I think it'll be interesting if anyone catches your eye. Samu Saiz cost Leeds £3m when they got him last year. Amazing price based on everything I've seen of him so far. He'd get into most Premier League clubs from about 8th and lower. Got to be something wrong if he hasn't attracted any interest so far at his age.

Special mention needs to go to SausageVince SausageVince as well regarding McGinn. It'll be interesting to see how he works out in the Championship

Back
Top Bottom