Players worth keeping an eye on playing for other clubs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agreed. We really need to find ways of overcoming our HG issues. Firstly our next 3rd choice keeper simply needs to be HG, as does our squad replacements once Janssen, Nkoudou, Llorente, Dembele & Sissoko really, minus one or two perhaps. Realistically we need to somewhere find 2-4 decent HG players to compensate for the situation we've got ourselves in whilst trying to get 1-2 top class nonHG in to have a balanced squad. Amazing situationnwe finding ourselves in when we had the most English players starting for the national team at the World Cup.

I still think not classing Dier as Homegrown is a ridiculous rule. Surely trained players & English should be classed as HG regardless of where they felt their nurturing was best. One of those things that would really help us but you've got to play to the rules

Yup that's the funny thing. But 'the most English players' was 100% of our 5 'Club Trained' and 'Trained by other Clubs affiliated with FA' plus Dier but excluding the injured Winks - implying that the standard of English players we have is high. But we need more of them.

Next season Walker-Peters and Carter-Vickers would join the group of Club Trained players - providing they are here - but they have played so little for Spurs first team, despite the former IMO having performed as well as Aurier ever has in his few games.

We have a number of talented players in the Academy, but to come through will need playing time both at Spurs and, quite possibly, on loan - implying Poch needs to play more youth (not necessarily starts) for that to happen.

So I think we can get away with just 2 more HG players for the first team squad needed - who do need to be good so the pool is small (hence why this season we were only linked to Grealish and Cooke and previously were linked to Brook), and then relying on bringing through a few of the Academy top players.

Personally I'm surprised there have not been more rumours of Aurier out of the door (as we have a Walker-Peters ready and waiting so no replacement needed) as otherwise I can see Foyth being left out of the CL squad again due to too many overseas trained players. which I don't think is Poch's desire

Next summer could be interesting if the likes of Dembele and other overseas trained players leave as to whether we can find suitable HG replacements !

Yup that's the funny thing. But 'the most English players' was 100% of our 5 'Club Trained' and 'Trained by other Clubs affiliated with FA' plus Dier but excluding the injured Winks - implying that the standard of English players we have is high. But we need more of them.

Next season Walker-Peters and Carter-Vickers would join the group of Club Trained players - providing they are here - but they have played so little for Spurs first team, despite the former IMO having performed as well as Aurier ever has in his few games.

We have a number of talented players in the Academy, but to come through will need playing time both at Spurs and, quite possibly, on loan - implying Poch needs to play more youth (not necessarily starts) for that to happen.

So I think we can get away with just 2 more HG players for the first team squad needed - who do need to be good so the pool is small (hence why this season we were only linked to Grealish and Cooke and previously were linked to Brook), and then relying on bringing through a few of the Academy top players.

Personally I'm surprised there have not been more rumours of Aurier out of the door (as we have a Walker-Peters ready and waiting so no replacement needed) as otherwise I can see Foyth being left out of the CL squad again due to too many overseas trained players. which I don't think is Poch's desire

Next summer could be interesting if the likes of Dembele and other overseas trained players leave as to whether we can find suitable HG replacements !

We have Llorente, Vorm, Dembele & Alderweireld out of contract next year & I think Aurier, Sissoko, Nkoudou & Janssen on the possible exit list as things are shaping up. 4 definites and a further 4 we can shift without it causing too many issues to the first XI. With Eriksen only having 2 years left on his contract there could be a lot of nonHGs leaving the club in 12 months. I reckon Poch wanted a few changes this year but a lack of movements on some of them possibly means he had to shelve his plans and stick to one last roll of the dice with the current nucleus. Either way with so many probably shifting towards the exit door next summers window we'll be a very interesting one based on HG & nonHG signings

We have Llorente, Vorm, Dembele & Alderweireld out of contract next year & I think Aurier, Sissoko, Nkoudou & Janssen on the possible exit list as things are shaping up. 4 definites and a further 4 we can shift without it causing too many issues to the first XI. With Eriksen only having 2 years left on his contract there could be a lot of nonHGs leaving the club in 12 months. I reckon Poch wanted a few changes this year but a lack of movements on some of them possibly means he had to shelve his plans and stick to one last roll of the dice with the current nucleus. Either way with so many probably shifting towards the exit door next summers window we'll be a very interesting one based on HG & nonHG signings

As I understand it Alderweireld's contract is up at the end of this season but we have an option to extend it for a further year - but that in turn means he has a release clause for £25m exercisable for a month or so. So there may/may not be changes in his contract situation before that comes to be (remember his wages have not been increased for several years - unlike most of the squad) if both sides think there is a deal to be done.

Vertonghen might also be on your list unless there is an announcement of a contract extension.

But either way that suggests we want at least 4 first team or first team squad players in to replace them (excluding others leaving and needing replacement), which is quite a lot for one TW. Subject to our stadium being in use by say November (otherwise its a major diversion for DL) , IMO we might see one or more HG players joining in January (we are unlikely to shift enough overseas trained players to get an overseas trained player in).

As I understand it Alderweireld's contract is up at the end of this season but we have an option to extend it for a further year - but that in turn means he has a release clause for £25m exercisable for a month or so. So there may/may not be changes in his contract situation before that comes to be (remember his wages have not been increased for several years - unlike most of the squad) if both sides think there is a deal to be done.

Vertonghen might also be on your list unless there is an announcement of a contract extension.

But either way that suggests we want at least 4 first team or first team squad players in to replace them (excluding others leaving and needing replacement), which is quite a lot for one TW. Subject to our stadium being in use by say November (otherwise its a major diversion for DL) , IMO we might see one or more HG players joining in January (we are unlikely to shift enough overseas trained players to get an overseas trained player in).

That's why I see the whole no signing of players so bizarre. As it stands we lose 5 squad players on a free next summer or as cheap as chips with a release clause. There has to be some really good players signed next summer or we will drift away. Levy has to spend and Pochettino needs to identity some serious talent for those guys as well as have a firm eye on how Serge, Sissoko, Rose do this year and try to shift Janssen & Nkoudou on. Not to mention the question marks over Wanyamas fitness & if any blockbuster bids come in for our gems.

10-11 players currently making up the numbers who may not have long term futures with us for a whole range of reasons. Doesn't make great reading unless a few things happen or a few things drop our way regarding extensions, fitness improvements, newfound form etc.

Still, that's a year away, hopefully the boys can focus on games & get results to keep us ticking along

Last edited:
That's why I see the whole no signing of players so bizarre. As it stands we lose 5 squad players on free next summer or as cheap as chips with a release clause. There has to be some really good players signed next summer or we will drift away. Levy has to spend and Pochettino needs to identity some serious talent for those guys as well as have a firm eye on how Serge, Sissoko, Rose do this year and try to shift Janssen & Nkoudou on. Not to mention the question marks over Wanyamas fitness & if any blockbuster bids come in for our gems.

10-11 players currently making up the numbers who may not have long term futures with us for a whole range of reasons. Doesn't make great reading unless a few things happen or a few things drop our way regarding extensions, fitness improvements, newfound form etc.

Still, that's a year away, hopefully the boys can focus on games &I get results to keep us ticking along

IMO whilst I like the manager having a big say in signings, I'm not sure how much time Poch has to spend on looking at potential new players, so I worry he's trying to take on too much, and maybe not identifying all the right players we need, whilst Levy will have needed to spend a lot of time on the stadium and associated financing.

Whether we need a full time Football Director or even another senior person at Spurs 'managing the squad' in a strategic sense such as in terms of ensuring the necessary balance of HG and non HG, ensuring we move players on who are unsuitable for whatever reason etc, either way a 3rd person between Poch and Levy.

IMO whilst I like the manager having a big say in signings, I'm not sure how much time Poch has to spend on looking at potential new players, so I worry he's trying to take on too much, and maybe not identifying all the right players we need, whilst Levy will have needed to spend a lot of time on the stadium and associated financing.

Whether we need a full time Football Director or even another senior person at Spurs 'managing the squad' in a strategic sense such as in terms of ensuring the necessary balance of HG and non HG, ensuring we move players on who are unsuitable for whatever reason etc, either way a 3rd person between Poch and Levy.

If somebody does come in I think it needs to be a chief scout &a someone that is Pochettinos choice. If the club are fully invested into Pochettino like they should be he should call the shots and Levy should take a back seat when it comes to all things football related that doesn't involve money.

I think the timing of the summers window, the stadium, the window closing earlier than the rest of Europe etc has probably hit us harder than any team in the league. That, as well as 9 of our boys only having a couple of days pre season means we have to wipe our mouth of it all, just focus on results on the pitch and just hope this stadium is open sooner rather than later. It could really be a shot in the arm having something like a new home to move into in 7-8 games time. Unfortunately it means we have to huff & puff a little at the start of the season which makes our best start in 4 years such a great achievement from the boys. Get a result up at Old Trafford & I'll be seriously impressed with the amount of character shown by the boys. I honestly think we can do it as well

That's why I see the whole no signing of players so bizarre. As it stands we lose 5 squad players on a free next summer or as cheap as chips with a release clause. There has to be some really good players signed next summer or we will drift away. Levy has to spend and Pochettino needs to identity some serious talent for those guys as well as have a firm eye on how Serge, Sissoko, Rose do this year and try to shift Janssen & Nkoudou on. Not to mention the question marks over Wanyamas fitness & if any blockbuster bids come in for our gems.

Still, that's a year away, hopefully the boys can focus on games & get results to keep us ticking along

On the plus side, most of those remaining are young and well before their peak. This means we should be hopeful that by 2019/20 they’re more effective than they currently are. If Foyth, KWP and Winks progress like we expect them to and we get lucky with at least one of CCV, Onomah, Skipp or Amos proving themselves viable squad options we should be good...or at least the squad surgery required will not be too extensive.

Back on topic of the thread, was impressed by Cairney on sat.

Most will know about him due to our links with him last summer but I expect Jadon Sancho to have a real breakout season for Dortmund. Took his first team opportunities really well last year and I think its the right league and right club for a flair player like him.

Most will know about him due to our links with him last summer but I expect Jadon Sancho to have a real breakout season for Dortmund. Took his first team opportunities really well last year and I think its the right league and right club for a flair player like him.

Hate being right

Would absolutely love to have Lascelles if/when Toby Leaves. Would not mind bringing in Shelvey as well as a center midfielder. Thauvin at Marseille is also a good choice on the right.

Back
Top Bottom