Playing League Matches Overseas

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hate the idea.
The premiership just becomes a franchise then(which was possibly part of the plan all along)
It will happen though.You only have to look what NFL games played over here bring in to see it's too much of a money spinner not to happen imho.

Not sure what to make of this. Hopefully it's just being "open-minded" rather than actually planning for it, but the game is gone if/when it happens.
Premier league is really popular across the world which is why most money comes to PL teams. If they make it easier for fans in other countries to see their teams once a year, dont think that means the game is gone.

Premier league is really popular across the world which is why most money comes to PL teams. If they make it easier for fans in other countries to see their teams once a year, dont think that means the game is gone.
It's a English team that plays it's competitive games in England that's how it should stay.
They do preseason in America and Asia now so foreign fans do get the chance to see them or visit a game in England?

That's what pre-season games are for.

This isn't the NFL, it's not a franchise sport, it's still inherently local football.

I'm one of those fans from another country and I loved when Spurs came to Australia twice, but there seems something inherently wrong with playing competitive league games outside the country.

Money talks. It will happen in the foreseable future whether we like it or not. It's sad to see that the game furthens from its roots, but it's not a reversable process.

just do what Spain did - "Charity shield" in a despot country - Top 2 and FA cup finalists, go down the league until you get to 4 teams.

Fuck off taking league games abroad

From a personal point of view, if that happened I would pack football in. It will probably happen due to the money involved and as usual the thousands of supporters that go home and away are treated with disdain by clubs only interested in making money.

Not sure what to make of this. Hopefully it's just being "open-minded" rather than actually planning for it, but the game is gone if/when it happens.
As an American, fuck this shit. Basically all the major sports here do it but it's not as big of a deal because of playoffs, uneven schedules and significantly longer offseasons. Doing this just complicates a balanced schedule and adds more time and travel to athletes that already log ridiculous miles and minutes for club and country.

Everyone keeps trying to fuck up football in Europe for some reason. I think power brokers severely underrate the risk of these types of proposals (Super League included) and only see revenue potential.

That's what pre-season games are for.

This isn't the NFL, it's not a franchise sport, it's still inherently local football.

I'm one of those fans from another country and I loved when Spurs came to Australia twice, but there seems something inherently wrong with playing competitive league games outside the country.
Guess you are right, theres preseason games in these 'fan' countries. Forgot those for a second. So they do get something for following the club from that far.

Either I wouldnt mind where they held 1 match a season, but I can understand why people would get whiny if it did happen.

From a personal point of view, if that happened I would pack football in. It will probably happen due to the money involved and as usual the thousands of supporters that go home and away are treated with disdain by clubs only interested in making money.
It's got nothing to do with money😄
It's about global domination 😂

Money trumps fans in this footballing era. We'll have zero input on the decision unfortunately, unlike Germany where this would never happen.

If Spurs v Woolwich is the 39th game and is played in Qatar (their bid will of course be the winner) I assume that Levy will be laying on £10 travel for ST holders. :levystare:

Back
Top Bottom