POCH BACK

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you now trade Poch for Mourinho

• Take Poch back

Votes: 72 45.9%
  • Keep faith with Mourinho

Votes: 85 54.1%

• Total voters
Nonplussed about Mourinho as we all know it'll turn sour in 2 years tops.
But let's never, ever pretend that posh being sacked was unfair, wrong, not best for him, not best for the club.
He would have rather we went down than resigned and passed up his pay off. Make no mistake, he wasn't trying to turn things around. He didn't want more time. He'd clearly had enough and like all modern managers, wasn't leaving without his massive fucking cheque.

He was a brilliant manager for us for a while. But he hit a plateaux he didn't know how to build on.
That combined with almost certain unfulfilled promises meant it was only going one way.

Nonplussed about Mourinho as we all know it'll turn sour in 2 years tops.
But let's never, ever pretend that posh being sacked was unfair, wrong, not best for him, not best for the club.
He would have rather we went down than resigned and passed up his pay off. Make no mistake, he wasn't trying to turn things around. He didn't want more time. He'd clearly had enough and like all modern managers, wasn't leaving without his massive fucking cheque.

He was a brilliant manager for us for a while. But he hit a plateaux he didn't know how to build on.
That combined with almost certain unfulfilled promises meant it was only going one way.

A fraud and a loser then

Jesus why don't we try and go further back.

Harry anyone? Perhaps AVB?

Got to move forward.

The only way I think Poch would come back to Tottenham is if he had a chairman who backed him.

Seeing what Klopp has done at Liverpool over the last few years and getting players he wanted and needed (we all know Levy's love of finding a B lister instead) with the full backing of the owners will always probably play on Poch's mind. What could've been.

I know what we shouldn't have done last summer: what Premier League clubs would change | Jonathan Wilson

Let’s start with the obvious one: Tottenham’s decision to sack Mauricio Pochettino and replace him with José Mourinho. Once a path has been embarked on, there is perhaps some logic in pursuing it to its conclusion, but would Daniel Levy really take that road again? Tottenham are without a win in their past six games. They’ve gone out of the FA Cup and Champions League. They’re seven points adrift of fourth. They’ve kept three clean sheets in 26 games under Mourinho. For Spurs, this season has been a shambles.

Injuries haven’t helped, while Mourinho loyalists point to a creaking and jaded squad. But if the squad is an excuse for Mourinho, why was it not for Pochettino? It’s not as though he wasn’t aware of its failings, not as though he hadn’t been campaigning for two years for greater transfer spending.

Levy, given the choice between replacing the manager or the bulk of the squad, went for the manager, but it looks as if he will end up having to replace the bulk of the squad as well. And when it comes down to it, which would you rather have: a thrusting manager with a point to prove and a recent history of team-building on a budget or a weary former great who has come increasingly to deal in big transfers and whose ideas have begun to look outmoded?

Last edited:
Why can't so many people not see that Poch wanted the sack? Poch, like every manager in modern football that has had enough.
Why do so many so called experts still push this notion that sackings are wrong, and managers need time.

Why can't so many people not see that Poch wanted the sack? Poch, like every manager in modern football that has had enough.
Why do so many so called experts still push this notion that sackings are wrong, and managers need time.
He lasted over 5 years, that's almost unheard of in the modern game. Even at spend happy clubs. Guys like Pep, Klopp and Poch that have been at their clubs for longer than 3 years are far from the norm these days.

In hindsight he should have left in the summer but hindsight is always 20/20.

Any manager who still thought Eriksen and Rose were first XI material was asking to be sacked, Poch lost his edge after the CL final and it was time to move on for all parties.

The home games against Newcastle, Bayern, Watford and Sheffield United were some of the worst matches I've ever seen and showed that whatever spirit Poch brought to the club had evaporated. Nothing was happening on the pitch. Mou may or may not bring us a trophy but a change was necessary.

Not my words. I'm just the messenger.

RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK you got a quick-trigger problem with Jonathan Wilson?
Oh yeah, not having a go at you there Todd - more the article itself.

I actually think that it's become quite clear that a lot of footie journos love having a pop at Mourinho being a supposed busted flush. I'm not entirely sure why that might be: jumping on a narrative, digging Spurs out by proxy (which they seem to enjoy) or perhaps there's a lot of pro-United-bias out there that would rather paint him as the problem rather than Woodward.

In many ways I don't mind as articles like that have surely got to make him even more determined to prove them wrong.

Any manager who still thought Eriksen and Rose were first XI material was asking to be sacked, Poch lost his edge after the CL final and it was time to move on for all parties.

The home games against Newcastle, Bayern, Watford and Sheffield United were some of the worst matches I've ever seen and showed that whatever spirit Poch brought to the club had evaporated. Nothing was happening on the pitch. Mou may or may not bring us a trophy but a change was necessary.
Brighton away was the breaking point for me. I'll never not love Poch (well, maybe if he went to Woolwich or Chelsea) but something was so apparently wrong and I couldn't imagine him pulling out of that tailspin regardless of the time given.

Brighton away was the breaking point for me. I'll never not love Poch (well, maybe if he went to Woolwich or Chelsea) but something was so apparently wrong and I couldn't imagine him pulling out of that tailspin regardless of the time given.
The Brighton game was after the 7-2 loss to Bayern and I was thinking surely the team will come out fired up and we'll get a win.

Instead it was a horrorshow performance with no intensity. Easily the worst game of the year for me.

I think he'd already lost interest before then tbh.
Feb onwards in the league last season was pretty dismal.

Jesus why don't we try and go further back.

Harry anyone? Perhaps AVB?

Got to move forward.

The only way I think Poch would come back to Tottenham is if he had a chairman who backed him.

Seeing what Klopp has done at Liverpool over the last few years and getting players he wanted and needed (we all know Levy's love of finding a B lister instead) with the full backing of the owners will always probably play on Poch's mind. What could've been.

We would never contemplate having him back

He did enough damage in his last 12 months just to secure a good pay day

Couldn’t have put it better myself.

But we didn’t have a thrusting manager with a point to prove

He couldn’t wait to get away from here quick enough and was desperate to get sacked which he quite rightly did

You can’t turn the clock back to 2015/6

He might make it at another club but I don’t think it will be in the PL as he’s been found out

Now this is crazy but let’s just say , now hypothetically old Jose wins us something league cup, fa cup whatever are we still wanting Poch back?

Back
Top Bottom