POCH BACK

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you now trade Poch for Mourinho

• Take Poch back

Votes: 72 45.9%
  • Keep faith with Mourinho

Votes: 85 54.1%

• Total voters
He had us playing the best football I’ve ever seen us play. He’s a legend and I’ll always love him, but there was no way he could have carried on. The players weren’t playing for him, we were in awful form for a year, it wasn’t just a patch
No one is perfect. He was no exception. The last and the biggest mistake he made was to give in to Levys front man and the bigger than God status for many here Harry Kane who cost the CL final and the greatest chance for the title in the clubs century long history.

I remember leading up to the day I was checking out dippers forum to see what they were saying and so many were hoping we d start Harry Kane. And we did. Don't blame on Sissoko handball. The whole world knows why we lost that final and turned the most glorious day to the most forgettable

they way he speaks about the club and fans being special is lovely. he sounds like one of us a fan.

it's something that Liverpool fans think only their club can evoke, that's why they're so hated.
It makes you really angry at his sacking, honestly. But it would be pretty shocking if he returned, wouldn't it? Anything is possible...just seems a bit much. Probably would require ENIC sell up and Levy leaves, no?

It makes you really angry at his sacking, honestly. But it would be pretty shocking if he returned, wouldn't it? Anything is possible...just seems a bit much. Probably would require ENIC sell up and Levy leaves, no?

anigif_sub-buzz-26545-1550621760-1.gif

No one is perfect. He was no exception. The last and the biggest mistake he made was to give in to Levys front man and the bigger than God status for many here Harry Kane who cost the CL final and the greatest chance for the title in the clubs century long history.

I remember leading up to the day I was checking out dippers forum to see what they were saying and so many were hoping we d start Harry Kane. And we did. Don't blame on Sissoko handball. The whole world knows why we lost that final and turned the most glorious day to the most forgettable
Umm no
the whole team lost the final, blaming it all on Kane is idiotic

we used to win with Soldado in the team and he was as much use as bootlace in a flip flop

I was of the mind of finishing 8th with Poch was better than 4th with Mourinho because I'd have more faith in Poch clearing out the squad and starting fresh with exciting football. I never thought Mourinho would bring a PL/CL trophy, which is the only way his appointment would be worth the hassle.

Maybe if we had a DoF we wouldn't have been in that spot to begin with, but Poch is more than partly to blame for that as he demanded more and more power as his stature grew, which is understandable.

Poch needed time off and you don't get that in football - had some time to reflect - I would love to have him back but that's not in the cards. I assume he's very interested in the project at Newcastle - that seems to be a great job for his skillset, owners not withstanding.

Umm no
the whole team lost the final, blaming it all on Kane is idiotic

we used to win with Soldado in the team and he was as much use as bootlace in a flip flop
A boot lace on a flip flop would be pretty useful though, wouldn't it? Would keep the confounding pieces of shit from flying off all the damn time.

062563FC00000514-2880871-image-a-60_1419008767462.jpg

I was of the mind of finishing 8th with Poch was better than 4th with Mourinho because I'd have more faith in Poch clearing out the squad and starting fresh with exciting football. I never thought Mourinho would bring a PL/CL trophy, which is the only way his appointment would be worth the hassle.

Maybe if we had a DoF we wouldn't have been in that spot to begin with, but Poch is more than partly to blame for that as he demanded more and more power as his stature grew, which is understandable.

Poch needed time off and you don't get that in football - had some time to reflect - I would love to have him back but that's not in the cards. I assume he's very interested in the project at Newcastle - that seems to be a great job for his skillset, owners not withstanding.
I’m not so sure on Poch clearing out the squad, when he first came here he was great at it, but I think one of the reasons for his downfall was he had his favourites and he would always play them, still maybe if we got better players then he could have done , still it’s a moot point as he aint here any more

Every single one of us, including Pochettino should recognise the inescapable fact that not winning anything is the biggest failure of his and the players around him at that time.

He got relieved of his duties and other players, including Kane will probably leave, partly because of that, but they were all guilty of not having it in them, to cross the line.

You cannot be a winner with a capital W until you have become a winner and that always leaves doubt in the mind and the excuse some players need.

It's why at least with Berbatov and Keane, them leaving, as painful as it was, was tinged with the joy of that League cup final win, so just a bit more palatable.

Pochettino could come back to finish off what he started. I still see that happening. It would be effective closure.

Last edited:
I’m not so sure on Poch clearing out the squad, when he first came here he was great at it, but I think one of the reasons for his downfall was he had his favourites and he would always play them, still maybe if we got better players then he could have done , still it’s a moot point as he aint here any more
It was easier to clear out Kaboul, Capoue and Adebayor to get the dressing room on the same page than moving on Toby, Eriksen and Rose who had all done very well for him.
He could have cashed in those 3 at peak market value and used the money to refresh the squad with hindsight. Say we had sold those 3 in 2016 in exchange for bringing in Kante and Mane. We would probably have been a better side even though we were flying at that time.
Mourinho would have paid a fortune for Alderweirald when he was at United, Eriksen and Rose would both have gone for big money at one time.

Every single one of us, including Pochettino should recognise the inescapable fact that not winning anything is the biggest failure of his and the players around him at that time.

He got relieved of his duties and other players, including Kane will probably leave, partly because of that, but they were all guilty of not having it in them, to cross the line.

You cannot be a winner with a capital W into you have become a winner and that always leaves doubt in the mind and the excuse some players need.

It's why at least with Berbatov and Keane, them leaving, as painful as it was, was tinged with the joy of that League cup final win, so just a bit more palatable.

He could come back to finish off what he started. I still see that happening. It would be effective closure.
I can't see him coming back this is him just trying to stay connected with spurs fan's, unfortunately the team he had was presented with a chance of winning honours, but each time they failed to deliver.
Unless ENIC sell up and the new owners bring him back as a romantic piece of nostalgia, I can't see this happening he will go down as one of our favourite manager's, but one that was unable to deliver when the chance was presented.

What's 'success' - is getting to a CL final not successful enough for you? We lost the final because after 30 secs some clown stuck his hand up in the pen box and the opposite cheated by kicking the ball at his hand to take advantage of a ludicrous law. There are a million and one things that could have happened but did or didn't - thats life, you win some and lose some. It's not failure.

What follows then is half of season of understandable anti-climax from players who had given their all and a bunch of self-righteous fans who 'demand' silverware because somehow they need it to feel good about their lives and so we sack our best manager since Bill Nick - someone who should (and would) have built a dynasty like Wenger or Ferguson.

The day we sacked him this club lost a small part of its identity as it drifts towards becoming just another corporate money-sucking machine - 50 years a fan and Ive never been more ashamed of the club. And half the fans cheered his sacking.
Getting to a final is not successful.
Losers mentality you have there and that's the problem with the club

What's 'success' - is getting to a CL final not successful enough for you? We lost the final because after 30 secs some clown stuck his hand up in the pen box and the opposite cheated by kicking the ball at his hand to take advantage of a ludicrous law. There are a million and one things that could have happened but did or didn't - thats life, you win some and lose some. It's not failure.

What follows then is half of season of understandable anti-climax from players who had given their all and a bunch of self-righteous fans who 'demand' silverware because somehow they need it to feel good about their lives and so we sack our best manager since Bill Nick - someone who should (and would) have built a dynasty like Wenger or Ferguson.

The day we sacked him this club lost a small part of its identity as it drifts towards becoming just another corporate money-sucking machine - 50 years a fan and Ive never been more ashamed of the club. And half the fans cheered his sacking.
Ask yourself a question mate, in twenty or thirty years time the football world will remember who won the 2019 CL final, the losers will not be remembered and would have been consigned to history.
As for the best manager since bill nick, I'm afraid you forgot to mention burkinshaw, who managed to win 3 trophies in 4 years and European football as well, poch would rightly come after those two who deserve their higher billing.
Unfortunately poch did have to go but I can honestly say I was not cheering it, nor did I see anyone doing so, just a realisation that things needed to change and that was the right decision.

Last edited:
Ask yourself a question mate, in the or thirty years time the football world will remember who won the 2019 CL final, the losers will not be remembered and would have been consigned to history.
As for the best manager since bill nick, I'm afraid you forgot to mention burkinshaw, who managed to win 3 trophies in 4 years and European football as well, poch would rightly come after those two who deserve their higher billing.
Unfortunately poch did have to go but I can honestly say I was not cheering it, nor did I see anyone doing so, just a realisation that things needed to change and that was the right decision.
Bang on the money. Rutland is a levy fan boy and Johnny come lately

Best manager since Nicholson? Nope. I think you'll find Burkinshaw holds that 'title'.

a8cb4d3cb58496558f7238416bf23c74--tottenham-hotspur-players-manager.jpg

Back
Top Bottom