POCH BACK

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you now trade Poch for Mourinho

• Take Poch back

Votes: 72 45.9%
  • Keep faith with Mourinho

Votes: 85 54.1%

• Total voters
“The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom”
Wonder how Mou answered the interview question about that part of our club’s values.

:mourshock:

Good old Danny - great player terrible manager.

The club's greatest ever manager and one of the games best ever said this

and

But hey what does Nicholson know compared to the modern supporter who 'understands' the meaning of success

I suspect Bill Nick wouldn't like the modern game one tiny bit and what he had to say 60 years ago sure as hell isn't relevant now. It's pointless comparing managers across the generations, just like it's pointless slagging off your fellow supporters on a fucking forum. But hey ho.

I suspect Bill Nick wouldn't like the modern game one tiny bit and what he had to say 60 years ago sure as hell isn't relevant now. It's pointless comparing managers across the generations, just like it's pointless slagging off your fellow supporters on a fucking forum. But hey ho.
Imagine Bill Nick having to deal with the preening, prima donnas in today's game.

They wouldn't last 5 minutes.

The old ‘ the game has changed’ line - tell me how winning silverware isn’t relevant now, that it isn’t the standard measurement of success? I don’t need to compare across generations our current manager has that philosophy. The only manager that this criteria doesn’t apply to is Pochettino - it’s different with him somehow. But hey ho as they say.

It's amazing how little joy and pride some have taken out of our last 15 years or so.

It's strange; one mere League Cup yet I've had a blast.

It’s amazing how little expectation some have even when we have one the best teams in the clubs history and be quite content for it to go to waste.

I really wish I could be so easily pleased and pretend the ‘90s were only yesterday instead of 20 years ago.

But hey he was magic don’t you know.....

It’s amazing how little expectation some have even when we have one the best teams in the clubs history and be quite content for it to go to waste.

I really wish I could be so easily pleased and pretend the ‘90s were only yesterday instead of 20 years ago.

But hey he was magic don’t you know.....

Well done for missing the point, but I'm simply responding to the implication that without a trophy it all amounts to nothing.

I'm a few years too young to have memories of the early 80's glory so got my first taste in 91. Loved it and had so many amazing times watching us since we began to get our shit back together over the last 15 years or so.... Baffles me that some spent most of that time grumbling and refuse to harvest positive memories from it all just because they "expect" to win trophies....

Lord knows how they ever got be be so jaded and complacent following a team that hasn't won the league since the early 60's..... Especially in an era dominated by bought glory.

Big Martin Jol gets love from many Spurs.
Some still revere what Redknapp brought out of us.
...So why is it so abhorrent that some retain a fondness for Pochettino.

Let me guess what's coming next..... "Loser mentality; you're the reason we haven't won more". :pocheyes:

Last edited:

12:18 in - whether you like him or hate, whether you think he will be a success or failure, that is the attitude every Spurs manager should have ( and quite clearly wasnt with the last one)

He also said in other interviews that 2nd that year was his greatest achievement. :sonpoint:

Well done for missing the point, but I'm simply responding to the implication that without a trophy it all amounts to nothing.

I'm a few years too young to have memories of the early 80's glory so got my first taste in 91. Loved it and had so many amazing times watching us since we began to get our shit back together over the last 15 years or so.... Baffles me that some spent most of that time grumbling and refuse to harvest positive memories from it all just because they "expect" to win trophies....

Lord knows how they ever got be be so jaded and complacent following a team that hasn't won the league since the early 60's..... Especially in an era dominated by bought glory.

Big Martin Jol gets love from many Spurs.
Some still revere what Redknapp brought out of us.
...So why is it so abhorrent that some retain a fondness for Pochettino.

Let me guess what's coming next..... "Loser mentality; you're the reason we haven't won more". :pocheyes:

Who said it means nothing? Who said the football wasn’t enjoyable or that we didn’t have good times?

The point is that the club needs to achieve honours - it’s had 15 years of teams playing attractive football and being capable of winning trophies.

But it hasn’t progressed on from that and in the last 5 years it should have almost certainly done that. Much of that fault rests with the previous manager and the degree of praise levelled at him goes well beyond just fondness. It’s almost cult like with some.

As for bought glory well tell that to Dortmund, A.Madrid, Liverpool, Sevilla and even Woolwich who have won multiple trophies with out following that model. We should be in that category but in truth no one is actually really that bothered why we are not . And perhaps that tells us a lot as to why we find ourselves in that situation.

He also said in other interviews that 2nd that year was his greatest achievement. :sonpoint:

No what he actually said was

If I tell you, for example, that I consider one of the best jobs of my career is to finish second with Manchester United

Which is very different to saying he said it was his greatest achievement.

And he made quite clear in that video - given the option would take a 6th place finish and UEFA cup and league cup win over finishing 2nd without silverware.

Who said it means nothing? Who said the football wasn’t enjoyable or that we didn’t have good times?

The point is that the club needs to achieve honours - it’s had 15 years of teams playing attractive football and being capable of winning trophies.

But it hasn’t progressed on from that and in the last 5 years it should have almost certainly done that. Much of that fault rests with the previous manager and the degree of praise levelled at him goes well beyond just fondness. It’s almost cult like with some.

As for bought glory well tell that to Dortmund, A.Madrid, Liverpool, Sevilla and even Woolwich who have won multiple trophies with out following that model. We should be in that category but in truth no one is actually really that bothered why we are not . And perhaps that tells us a lot as to why we find ourselves in that situation.

I wasn't actually directing this specifically at you... You may note that I didn't kick my side of this off by quoting you. Some will be applicable; some less so.

The opinions regarding the pro's and con's of Poch are extensively thrashed out already so I doubt we'll change each others minds on that front this far down the line; but no I don't think he is/was beyond reproach.

RE: Bought glory.... Think what our growth over the last 15 years would have been like without the Chavs & City doping their way to domestic dominance.... just as we began to sort of shit out, the deck got further stacked.... Twice! How many trophies have the 2 hoovered up between them during this time. How many more top 4's to generate funds and improve the squad etc. did we miss out on? Arse & United were dominant prior and they're still reeling...... At best Liverpool have been the perennial brides maids until last June too. That's what I'm alluding to and why I think it's ludicrous for us to "expect" trophies in this era..... Even if we did have our best XI in decades in 16/17.... And yes; even if a near 60 year old quote from a legend like Bill Nick once suggested otherwise.

To suggest however, that myself or someone of a similar outlook is simply not bothered is silly.

Last edited:
No what he actually said was

"If I tell you, for example, that I consider one of the best jobs of my career is to finish second with Manchester United"

Which is very different to saying he said it was his greatest achievement.

And he made quite clear in that video - given the option would take a 6th place finish and UEFA cup and league cup win over finishing 2nd without silverware.

I know what he said in that video... I watched what you prompted me to.... And yes he said that for the purposes of that interview. Much like he made the opposing claim in another set of circumstances... It's not like he couldn't have reference those 2 trophies to make the same point. He didn't.....

My point wasn't to contradict you; it was to point out that he's more than happy to contradict himself as and when it suits.... Go through the archives and you'll find endless examples of this.

He's a crafty little fucker.

(...But as the cliche goes; he's OUR craft little fucker now so I'll get behind him.)

Back
Top Bottom