Pochettino with Mourinho's squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would we be in a better position if Poch was managing this squad?

• No you cunt, Poch had his chance.

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Poch didn't make good signing, so he could never build this squad

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Yes, Poch would be leading the league with this level of backing

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • Apart from Matt Doherty, we're golden.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The English prefer to slaughter Argentinians than support them, so I'm glad the Mourinho era is here

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Let’s look at the current squad on paper

Lloris
Aurier Dier Toby Regulion
Ndombele PEH Lo Celso
Bergwijn Kane Son

Hart
Doherty Sanchez Rodon Davies
Sissoko Winks Dele/Lamela
Bale Carlos Lucas

That is easily the most depth we have ever had and one of the deepest squads in the prem. Only thing you can say is we lack a world class CB.

Deli has been poor for 2 years.
Moura and Bergwijn are mid table premier league players at best.
If Kane or Son don't score or assist please tell me in the current squad who does that job?
WE have now played 15 games and apart from Kane and Son the rest of the squad have 6/7 goals between them.
Viny I agree we will never know if he is good enough at league level if he doesn't get the chance.

Ndombele, Lo Celso or Carlos are able to score goals. or stop using Bergwijn as a defensive winger.

Bet someone has beat me to it

In the end Poch goes in the same section as Mourinho.

When he got sacked, Pochs results were crap , his football was crap and with that "I will resign if we win " just before a CL final, he ended up being a crap greedy person who accepted a wage increase in return for not signing anyone in a transfer window.

Ndombele, Lo Celso or Carlos are able to score goals. or stop using Bergwijn as a defensive winger.

I respect you as a poster, but I strongly disagree with your view of our firepower up front.

As it was mentioned what is same - Kane, Son, Moura, Lamela
What we have on top - Bergwijn, Vinicius, Bale
What we don't have anymore - Llorente, Alli who can play (sure, you can say "he is here" but heck, look at his past 24 months... he has regressed massively after the injury and he have not played nearly well enough), Eriksen in his prime and well... still Dembele

Come on, Llorente was always better than Vinicius - EPL proven and all; unless Kane gets injured (which with current playing tempo, he very soon will) I don't see Vinicius even getting another 10 minutes in EPL
Prime Alli or current Bale? there is absolutely no question even... Bale is a name at this point and nothing more
Eriksen or Bergwijn? Again, not even a question. Bergwijn has scored like 2 great goals and has been utter dross ever since. He panics whenever he gets into attacking position. Or are you seriously suggesting that it was tactical instruction by Mou to miss his 2 good chances agains Pool? Even yesterday if he would have attacked back-post after Kane had the ball near penalty spot - it would have been such a good opportunity. But HE CHOOSE to stand in useless position with defenders between him and goal.

But yea, one important difference to our attacking play comes from midfield. Sure, Ndombele has shown great glimpses and yesterday he was really good. But is there even one person here who would say that when we had Toby-Jan CB guarded by Wanyama-Dembele CM and linked together by Eriksen wouldn't allow to play more attacking and aggressive game than current Dier-Toby guarded by PEH-SISSOKO and linked by Ndombele ?!?

This all has it's effect.
I am not saying that Mou should be excused or anything - Wolves draw after same scenario with Palace was 100% on him, no question. But I strongly disagree like Poch would have had less material at his best moment.

I respect you as a poster, but I strongly disagree with your view of our firepower up front.

As it was mentioned what is same - Kane, Son, Moura, Lamela
What we have on top - Bergwijn, Vinicius, Bale
What we don't have anymore - Llorente, Alli who can play (sure, you can say "he is here" but heck, look at his past 24 months... he has regressed massively after the injury and he have not played nearly well enough), Eriksen in his prime and well... still Dembele

Come on, Llorente was always better than Vinicius - EPL proven and all; unless Kane gets injured (which with current playing tempo, he very soon will) I don't see Vinicius even getting another 10 minutes in EPL
Prime Alli or current Bale? there is absolutely no question even... Bale is a name at this point and nothing more
Eriksen or Bergwijn? Again, not even a question. Bergwijn has scored like 2 great goals and has been utter dross ever since. He panics whenever he gets into attacking position. Or are you seriously suggesting that it was tactical instruction by Mou to miss his 2 good chances agains Pool? Even yesterday if he would have attacked back-post after Kane had the ball near penalty spot - it would have been such a good opportunity. But HE CHOOSE to stand in useless position with defenders between him and goal.

But yea, one important difference to our attacking play comes from midfield. Sure, Ndombele has shown great glimpses and yesterday he was really good. But is there even one person here who would say that when we had Toby-Jan CB guarded by Wanyama-Dembele CM and linked together by Eriksen wouldn't allow to play more attacking and aggressive game than current Dier-Toby guarded by PEH-SISSOKO and linked by Ndombele ?!?

This all has it's effect.
I am not saying that Mou should be excused or anything - Wolves draw after same scenario with Palace was 100% on him, no question. But I strongly disagree like Poch would have had less material at his best moment.

let’s looks on paper

Carlos, Kane, Bale, Son, Dele, Lamela, Berwijn, Lucas, Lo Celso, Ndombele

vs

Kane, Son, Dele, Eriksen, Lamela, Lorrente, Lucas

mate it’s not even close, we didn’t even have a decent back up striker under Poch. I will give that Mourinho has a weaker defence but no way attack. He is blessed in attack and not making the best of it.

let’s looks on paper

Carlos, Kane, Bale, Son, Dele, Lamela, Berwijn, Lucas, Lo Celso, Ndombele

vs

Kane, Son, Dele, Eriksen, Lamela, Lorrente, Lucas

mate it’s not even close, we didn’t even have a decent back up striker under Poch. I will give that Mourinho has a weaker defence but no way attack. He is blessed in attack and not making the best of it.

Why are you just putting names there ? Lo Celso and Ndombele are not attackers. Or if you include more creative part of midfield, then in bottom list you have to have Dembele as well.

Llorente has proven himself 10x more than Vinicius up to now.

As I mentioned, Alli has generally been non-presence in last 2 years, invisible and constantly giving the ball away. Bale... have you seen him in EPL, he is just a name on a paper unfortunately.

I agree that there are more names in terms of numbers in upper list with Kane, Son, Vinicius, Bale, Son, Dele, Bergwijn, Lucas. But if you ask if I would rather have

a) In form Eriksen&Alli as attacking options; Llorente as back-up ST; and Dembele as CM
or
b) current Dele&Bergwijn&Bale as attacking options; Vinicius as back-up S; and Ndombele + Lo Celso as CM

Yes, I would pick option a)
I agree that Ndombele is super talented lad and might go on to achieve great things, but as a packedge I believe every moment that prime Eriksen + Alli output was far superior to current Dele, Bergwijn and Bale.

Why are you just putting names there ? Lo Celso and Ndombele are not attackers. Or if you include more creative part of midfield, then in bottom list you have to have Dembele as well.

Llorente has proven himself 10x more than Vinicius up to now.

As I mentioned, Alli has generally been non-presence in last 2 years, invisible and constantly giving the ball away. Bale... have you seen him in EPL, he is just a name on a paper unfortunately.

I agree that there are more names in terms of numbers in upper list with Kane, Son, Vinicius, Bale, Son, Dele, Bergwijn, Lucas. But if you ask if I would rather have

a) In form Eriksen&Alli as attacking options; Llorente as back-up ST; and Dembele as CM
or
b) current Dele&Bergwijn&Bale as attacking options; Vinicius as back-up S; and Ndombele + Lo Celso as CM

Yes, I would pick option a)
I agree that Ndombele is super talented lad and might go on to achieve great things, but as a packedge I believe every moment that prime Eriksen + Alli output was far superior to current Dele, Bergwijn and Bale.

Ndombele can be compared to Eriksen, for a starters Ndombele is a creative player, Dembele is not and Lo Celso can also be easily compared to Eriksen as well. If you want we can remove Lo Celso from attacking players but we would also need to remove Eriksen.

Also Llorente was an over the hill player, Carlos has far better attributes.

Doesn’t change my view this team has a far better attack on paper than we had previously, certainly much more depth and Kane and Son in particular have grown as players.

We're built for 433 atm, in which case...

Ndombele Lo Celso Hojberg
Winks Dele Sissoko

Son Kane Bergwijn
Lamela Vinicius Moura

Is our relevant depth, compared to

Sissoko Winks
???/??r
Son Alli Eriksen
Moura Lamela Nkoudou
Kane
Llorente

Wanyama/Dembele/Dier who were perma crocked were our backup midfield options in the last year of Pochs which meant both Eriksen and Alli had to pitch in there a lot, stretching our available resources. Better options in reserve right now, undoubtedly and just having a furst XI player like Hojberg available to him would have made the world of difference to Poch and his team in that last year.

Hard to say.

Kane would still be overplayed and doing his own thing.

Son would still go through patches.

We would still concede late goals or throw games away.

Like we've always done.

A few bad results and it’s hypothetical city

Don’t torture yourselves we just have to focus on winning league cup if not Europa or FA Cup, as soon as Liverpool scored that was it for the league

Just wish Dembele was fit and still around today, I miss him

Ndombele can be compared to Eriksen, for a starters Ndombele is a creative player, Dembele is not and Lo Celso can also be easily compared to Eriksen as well. If you want we can remove Lo Celso from attacking players but we would also need to remove Eriksen.

Also Llorente was an over the hill player, Carlos has far better attributes.

Doesn’t change my view this team has a far better attack on paper than we had previously, certainly much more depth and Kane and Son in particular have grown as players.
Eriksen v Ndombele in comparison is no contest.
Eriksen for 4 years running got double figures at both goals and assists Ndombele is a long way behind at the moment.
Eriksen like Dele was run into the ground by Poch.
Kane would have been the same had he not had 2/3 months off injured in each of the last 3 seasons.
Lo Celso can't string a run of 6 games together without breaking down.

Eriksen was never anything without Dembele in the team. I've posted the stats to prove it numerous times.

And its starting to look like Dele wasn't either.

Our single most important player of the last 5 or so years was Mousa Dembele. Its no surprise our form as a team tailed off tremendously the moment we got rid of him.

Eriksen and Dele never looked the same. Our midfield has never looked the same. Our style of play has never really looked the same.

Without Dembele consistently beating a press and getting the ball to Eriksen/Dele in space, they were nothing.

To think, he'd get regularly criticised, subbed off at HT and people wanted him sold before then.

Sounds familiar.

Eriksen was never anything without Dembele in the team. I've posted the stats to prove it numerous times.

And its starting to look like Dele wasn't either.

Our single most important player of the last 5 or so years was Mousa Dembele. Its no surprise our form as a team tailed off tremendously the moment we got rid of him.

Eriksen and Dele never looked the same. Our midfield has never looked the same. Our style of play has never really looked the same.

Without Dembele consistently beating a press and getting the ball to Eriksen/Dele in space, they were nothing.

To think, he'd get regularly criticised, subbed off at HT and people wanted him sold before then.

Sounds familiar.
So you are saying play Ndombele in the same position as Dembele and that would solve all of our problems.?
We would be left with Lo Celso Dele Moura Bergy Lamela and Bale to provide the forwards with chances .
Kane and Son would still have to create and score their own chances.

Playing well, more entertaining football, but ultimately on the same points, beaten some lower teams but not as many of the top 6, out of the EL and Carabou, go all in for title, lose FA Cup later, finish 3rd-5th blame the squad and chairman

Neeeeext

So you are saying play Ndombele in the same position as Dembele and that would solve all of our problems.?
We would be left with Lo Celso Dele Moura Bergy Lamela and Bale to provide the forwards with chances .
Kane and Son would still have to create and score their own chances.

Nah, i dont think Ndombele is as good defensively as Dembele. Much better offensively and has similar benefits.

What I am saying is that Eriksen is in the past. He was successful in a well oiled system. When that system lost important component, Eriksen got rendered useless (by his standards)

What we need to do is find that system with the squad we have. Instead of relying on players (Eriksen) of the past, who already showed they couldn't work in anything different.

Back
Top Bottom