Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Allegri is a good manager but has gone somewhat off the radar of fans here I think. At the moment I feel the drive is to get back attacking exciting football. Parker does that to a degree and is loved by fans but I think it’s far too early for him.

That being said I would imagine Naglesmann and Potter would be favourites in terms of most likely to happen. Rogers obviously a big one but not sure he would leave Leicester.
Potter is another that bewilders me.

Yes his team play good football, but could he take us to our next step whilst taking 2 or 3 steps up of his own? I'm not so sure.

Potter is another that bewilders me.

Yes his team play good football, but could he take us to our next step whilst taking 2 or 3 steps up of his own? I'm not so sure.

We could have said the same about Poch, well Saints did have a better team but often managers get judged by how well they use the players at their disposal relative to their ability.

I might be able to get Barca with prime Messi, Xavi and Iniesta to win a title just by having them on the pitch, wouldn’t make me a good football manager.

They are gambles true. The least gamble IMO would be Rogers, we know what he can do and has done it consistently.

He plays very good football with a let’s be kind a very average squad pretty much a championship squad.

I.e makes them play more than the sum of their parts.
Would be a ridiculous gamble.

You say Championship like it’s a bad thing. The one thing he has is a squad of players that will fight tooth and nail every game as they have always known they will be fighting relegation. That’s genuine motivation.
We have a couple of stars, some professionals and then various shades of dickhead that need kicking into touch.

He alsohas ten to fifteen fixtures a season where he knows they’re not expected to win. The pressure is entirely different.

He would be taking over an unbalanced squad of disparate talents and then be expected to try to get us back in the Top 4. Again, entirely different pressure.

You genuinely see him as someone that can oversee the rebuilding of
our squad and lay the foundation for the next five years or so?

Would be a ridiculous gamble.

You say Championship like it’s a bad thing. The one thing he has is a squad of players that will fight tooth and nail every game as they have always known they will be fighting relegation. That’s genuine motivation.
We have a couple of stars, some professionals and then various shades of dickhead that need kicking into touch.

He alsohas ten to fifteen fixtures a season where he knows they’re not expected to win. The pressure is entirely different.

He would be taking over an unbalanced squad of disparate talents and then be expected to try to get us back in the Top 4. Again, entirely different pressure.

You genuinely see him as someone that can oversee the rebuilding of
our squad and lay the foundation for the next five years or so?

I am not saying there is no risk. But he certainly knows how to coach modern attacking football, we took gambles like this before such as Poch, admittedly Saints had a better team but there was still that risk. There is just as much risk getting an older manager whose methods are dated. No manager we pick comes risk free, the closest is Rogers.

I am not saying there is no risk. But he certainly knows how to coach modern attacking football, we took gambles like this before such as Poch, admittedly Saints had a better team but there was still that risk. There is just as much risk getting an older manager whose methods are dated. No manager we pick comes risk free, the closest is Rogers.
Rogers I’m not sure about. Celtic is obviously difficult to draw too many conclusions from and I have a suspicion that what really makes Leicester tick is their recruitment team.

Nagelsman feels like the logical choice. Experience at the sharp end of leagues, both domestic and European, of sufficient profile to actually attract players (especially young Germans) and keen to move to the Prem.

If it goes wrong, fans would give him time.

Could you imagine the shit Potter would get if we lost a few, and he’s stood on the side looking like he’s on work experience at a garden centre.

Rogers I’m not sure about. Celtic is obviously difficult to draw too many conclusions from and I have a suspicion that what really makes Leicester tick is their recruitment team.

Nagelsman feels like the logical choice. Experience at the sharp end of leagues, both domestic and European, of sufficient profile to actually attract players (especially young Germans) and keen to move to the Prem.

If it goes wrong, fans would give him time.

Could you imagine the shit Potter would get if we lost a few, and he’s stood on the side looking like he’s on work experience at a garden centre.

Naglesmann is my number one choice and I voted for him but Potter is not Parker, he has good experience, it would be a larger jump up then Naglesmann but unlike Nagelsmann he knows the prem.

For me our next manager has to have several components.

1 Modern Attacking philosophy
2 Makes players better
3 Makes the team the sum of their parts or more

Votes for Potter are a joke, surely? He’s been at Brighton a while and they’re still relegation fodder. No thanks.

Frankly, no options really excite me. It all seems pointless. Levy hasn’t got a clue about footballing decisions so, even with the best hire, we’ll rinse-repeat a la Poch until a change at the top.

I do like Scotty P as he’s got some good things going on with a squad of total garbage.

I’d have brought in Harry in January and got some positivity in the dressing room. We’d still be in the two meaningful cups of we’d done that. Rumbelows Cup is a shambles and the prize of 3rd tier Conference football says it all.

Couldn't the argument also be made that the thing that makes Leipzig tick is their recruitment team as well?

Nagelsmann has worked with well structured recruitment teams at both Leipzig and Hoffenhim with sporting directors handling the squad building.

He is more tested at the highest level but he is untested when it comes to being more directly involved with squad building and player scouting.

Couldn't the argument also be made that the thing that makes Leipzig tick is their recruitment team as well?

Nagelsmann has worked with well structured recruitment teams at both Leipzig and Hoffenhim with sporting directors handling the squad building.

He is more tested at the highest level but he is untested when it comes to being more directly involved with squad building and player scouting.
This is what concerns me as well, changing the manager is a start but the whole recruitment and football side of the club can't sit in the hands of the manager. It's too much for any one person.

Those are areas i have no real confidence in regardless of who the manager is.

Very much so.

He could flounder spectacularly, especially if Levy insists on meddling.

This is what concerns me as well, changing the manager is a start but the whole recruitment and football side of the club can't sit in the hands of the manager. It's too much for any one person.

Those are areas i have no real confidence in regardless of who the manager is.
The one guy who can do both in today's football is Ragnick. He's available but he would also be a relative short term hire since he apparently plans to retire in 3 or so years.

But yeah. We need a new manager. I think most can agree on that. But we also need to retool our recruitment setup as well. The fact that we have restructured our academy setup and are seeing some early positive results does fill me with some confidence that it could be done.

The days were a manager did everything at a club are long gone.

Back
Top Bottom