Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
The difference between us and Chelsea isn't ruthlessness or romance, it's Abramovich. Give us Chelsea's funds and we too can hire and fire and pay the comp every season while snapping up the world's most expensive players and paying their youth what we pay our senior pros.

We can't copy them. Not because we don't want to, but because we literally can't without going underwater. This is not an argument against Conte for a season or two, just pointing out that what works for them isn't what will work for us.

I'm sorry, I don't buy that. We are (or we were) one of the most profitable football clubs in the world. We spent £60m on Ndombele and £50m on Lo Celso in the same summer. We may not have the resources as Chelsea but it doesn't mean we can't be as successful because ultimately we are in the same stature as them (give or take) as a Club. Jesus Christ are we a big a club or are we not? "We can't compete with Chelsea'. What? Yes we fucking can. From the reports I've seen Conte is interested in the job. Stop spouting Daniel Levy/Enic soundbites and wake up. And stop making excuses for them.

I just don't buy it anymore. There is a loser mentality and it needs to fucking change.

I'm sorry, I don't buy that. We are (or we were) one of the most profitable football clubs in the world. We spent £60m on Ndombele and £50m on Lo Celso in the same summer. We may not have the resources as Chelsea but it doesn't mean we can't be as successful because ultimately we are in the same stature as them (give or take) as a Club. Jesus Christ are we a big a club or are we not? "We can't compete with Chelsea'. What? Yes we fucking can. From the reports I've seen Conte is interested in the job. Stop spouting Daniel Levy/Enic soundbites and wake up. And stop making excuses for them.

I just don't buy it anymore. There is a loser mentality and it needs to fucking change.
No we just buy the wrong players !

Oh shut the fuck up you boring creature. I agree about Levy, but you have no idea if Conte would work out. Him coming to us does not automatically equal success, no matter how much you wish it to be.

We have different opinions on why he changed to the diamond. I believe it was to spare the players a bit in order to keep more of them non-injured at the end of the season. You say it's because he didn't get any new players one summer. I also think part of the problem with this was that he didn't get his first choice and turned down the other suggested players.
All 3 of those points could be true as none negates the other. On the 'spare the players' point though, the diamond was specifically (as per Poch) to help transitioning the game through his depleted midfield. The other option was the long, long ball that we often ended up playing to bypass the MF.

And on the 'turned down' point. If at the end of the night I offered you an edentulous, syphillitic streetwalker instead of the perfect ten you were after would you take it? How would you feel if folks told you it was then your fault you didn't get laid? We needed players, good players, then and are suffering now because we never got them. The man earned the right to get, at the very least, a few of his first choices. Ideally we would have gotten some real decent 'potential' players early on instead of the N'Jie's and they would have been coming good. But he put up with player Bs for over 5 seasons so he shouldn't be faulted for becoming less flexible on his choices. He stated it many times, he'd rather had no one that continue to fill the ranks with players not up to it...and we see those players stick around for long times because Levy won't move them. It is the EXACT response a reasonable person/coach would have when they are pulled up for player A,B and C's exploits and failures when they didn't want the player in the first place.

Thomas Franks, anybody? Not sure if I'm serious or not, but just caught the highlights of the playoffs and he looks interesting.
Yeah I mean he’s got great hair for his age but can I convert you to ten Hag camp?

skysports-erik-ten-hag-ajax_4635431.jpg

He might not have hair but he’s got something that this Frank guy doesn’t. Beard. And I heard he knows how to handle young player’s development, also won some trophies in his career :pochcmon:

Yeah I mean he’s got great hair for his age but can I convert you to ten Hag camp?

skysports-erik-ten-hag-ajax_4635431.jpg

He might not have hair but he’s got something that this Frank guy doesn’t. Beard. And I heard he knows how to handle young player’s development, also won some trophies in his career :pochcmon:
I didn't think he would be an option as he signed a new contract with Ajax. I don't appreciate the dig at Poch though, that man loves us and most of us still love him.

So where's Harry going then? Sky won't like your post mate.
No clue. The problem is with his injury record no club will see him as a priority. I think Lukaku will go Chelsea for less and Mbappe will go City. Utd will sign Sancho unless they somehow get Ronaldo on the cheap then that changes everything because they would have the cash to buy Kane and the draw of playing with Cristiano Ronaldo. Fernandes, Kane and Ronaldo would turn United into premier league title challengers. Liverpool may challenge for Mbappe or Haaland if they can sell Mane or Salah for 100 million but I do not think that is likely and do not see anyone out there with the cash to make the Coutinho mistake.

We aren't in the same financial league as Chelsea, not even close:
Screenshot-20210519-165507-Chrome.jpg

They spent 250m - more than we spent in the last 3 years - in the last window, and that was during a pandemic. And let's not even get started talking about our comparative wage bills.

But forget about Chelsea and City - those two are in a league of their own, maybe with United since they also have financial muscle. For me the one we should be looking is Liverpool, who aren't oil money either but have made astute decisions in the last few years.

I didn't think he would be an option as he signed a new contract with Ajax. I don't appreciate the dig at Poch though, that man loves us and most of us still love him.
I think it was Ajax who triggered the extension, though his words in reaction to it certainly suggest he's happy to remain there. But I think the actual blocker might be the fact he wants to go to Germany (can't remember where I read this but I remembering Ajax fans corroborating it). I think he'd actually be my favored choice out of the rumored frontrunners but I don't want a manager who isn't enthusiastic to be here.

I think it was Ajax who triggered the extension, though his words in reaction to it certainly suggest he's happy to remain there. But I think the actual blocker might be the fact he wants to go to Germany (can't remember where I read this but I remembering Ajax fans corroborating it). I think he'd actually be my favored choice out of the rumored frontrunners but I don't want a manager who isn't enthusiastic to be here.

Interesting that if he wanted to go to Germany he didn't go this summer with so many of the German jobs opening.

Now maybe the problem is there are few jobs there that are better than Ajax- Bayern, RB and maybe Dortmund- but if he is waiting on one of those he could be waiting a long time.

I also don't think his contract extension would prevent him from coming to us, just gives Ajax a little more leverage to get something out of Levy.

Back
Top Bottom