Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
The thing I give respect to ten hag was that champions league run, that was impressive until they bottle it against us. I don’t give a fuck about winning titles in Holland. Their squad is like miles and miles better than the rest of other ones. Outside the best 6/8 teams there the rest of the league is low league 2 standard. Ajax lives in a bubble in Holland. I would like to see him in a team like Leverkusen or Lyon before he would get here.

The thing I give respect to ten hag was that champions league run, that was impressive until they bottle it against us. I don’t give a fuck about winning titles in Holland. Their squad is like miles and miles better than the rest of other ones. Outside the best 6/8 teams there the rest of the league is low league 2 standard. Ajax lives in a bubble in Holland. I would like to see him in a team like Leverkusen or Lyon before he would get here.
Just playing devil's advocate as I voted for the guy, but couldn't we really say the same about Potter and his Europa run?

We aren't in the same financial league as Chelsea, not even close:
Screenshot-20210519-165507-Chrome.jpg

They spent 250m - more than we spent in the last 3 years - in the last window, and that was during a pandemic. And let's not even get started talking about our comparative wage bills.

But forget about Chelsea and City - those two are in a league of their own, maybe with United since they also have financial muscle. For me the one we should be looking is Liverpool, who aren't oil money either but have made astute decisions in the last few years.
If Tottenham are to compete with the likes of Chelsea and City. It cannot be by operating in the same way. We just don't have the money.

We need to be smarter as you said. We need to look at how clubs like Dortmund, Sevilla and Atalanta operate. We need to focus on mainly buying young, exciting talent before they break through and developing them into stars, combined with a few major purchases here and there.

We need to be that club in England that young players want to come to, because they know that theey will be turned into stars here.

I just can't help it, lad.

I've made statements on here that are just quoting Poch, (please see the little quote under my avatar) and I get bombarded with disagrees and people calling me a cunt, ect ect.

It's hard not to go on the offensive, I think the massive amounts of borderline Poch worshipping on here becomes a bit much at times and I hope to be a counterweight.

Thanks for your comment though I appreciate it, it's better than the wall of disagrees.
You take his quotes out of context thinking you're being smart. "Trophies only build egos" was in response to a question about winning the league cup elevating Tottenham. Of course winning the league cup wouldn't elevate us, finishing top four and fighting for the major trophies would, not a league cup.

I'm not even a Poch fanboy like you claim others to be. I supported sacking him because it was best for both parties at that time to change.

But if you can't see the issues are bigger than just the manager than you're clueless.

If Tottenham are to compete with the likes of Chelsea and City. It cannot be by operating in the same way. We just don't have the money.

We need to be smarter as you said. We need to look at how clubs like Dortmund, Sevilla and Atalanta operate. We need to focus on mainly buying young, exciting talent before they break through and developing them into stars, combined with a few major purchases here and there.

We need to be that club in England that young players want to come to, because they know that theey will be turned into stars here.
We were not long ago.

Then Hitchens happened.

Now maybe the problem is there are few jobs there that are better than Ajax- Bayern, RB and maybe Dortmund- but if he is waiting on one of those he could be waiting a long time.
Bayern is probably his dream because of his time at their second team. Dortmund is definitely a higher ceiling than Ajax, Leipzig is a well run club who would benefit from a manager like ten Hag, I’d say Leverkusen is s possible destination aswell. He was linked with the Gladbach job but I am not sure it’s a step in the right direction for him.

But I think that it’s what he wants to do in the future, not necessarily his next job, just like Poch said he wants to win the title with us in the future.

From what I read, Gold said that he’s interested in Spurs so that’s all that matters. If anything, we should hurry the fuck up and appoint a manager because I don’t think ten Hag is going to wait forever to get the call from Levy.

And they have 4 times the transfer budget we do. It’s not apples to apples

And without that Conte will be a disaster. He’s left every club because of his perception the club isn’t backing him. He won’t get that type of investment with us. It will be ideal for the vocal ENIC out mob who will be able to use it as a stick to beat levy with but in reality getting him in could lead to disaster. Knowing us, which is more likely, success or it going tits up?

Exactly. That’s why we are trying to get Poch back. Levy knows he’s done it before. But in order for it to be a success half the squad needs to go and be replaced. Poch works better with young and hungrier places. They’re almost a prerequisite to him being a success. Without doing that it doesn’t matter who the manager is.

Oh shut the fuck up you boring creature. I agree about Levy, but you have no idea if Conte would work out. Him coming to us does not automatically equal success, no matter how much you wish it to be.
Did I say that? I do know that we've been down the Pochettino route before and while it was fun while it last it ultimately didn't end with any trophies. I feel there's a romanticism with wanting to bring him back and I'm more concerned about making the right appointment for the future success of the club. And I see a world class manager who is currently available who seems to have expressed an interest in managing us. But no as long as we get to sing 'He's magic, you know' again then that's OK.

Also I don't know why you feel the need to tell me to shut the fuck up when all I'm doing is expressing an opinion. Grow up.

They have brought Mourinho and Hiddink back?
I'm not against bringing Poch back at some point. I just don't think the timing is right. Mourinho went back to Chelsea after 6 years. Its been 18 months since Poch left. I dont see any meaningful change that has happened at the Club that makes me think it's going to end any different this time around.

And without that Conte will be a disaster. He’s left every club because of his perception the club isn’t backing him. He won’t get that type of investment with us. It will be ideal for the vocal ENIC out mob who will be able to use it as a stick to beat levy with but in reality getting him in could lead to disaster. Knowing us, which is more likely, success or it going tits up?
He'd need to agree to our budget before arriving, but whatever budget we have, he'd want to max it out.

Are we putting together a 3-4 year plan to have us competing at the top end of the table with the appropriate level of investment or are we bringing poch back hoping he can do the impossible again on a shoestring?

Are we putting together a 3-4 year plan to have us competing at the top end of the table with the appropriate level of investment or are we bringing poch back hoping he can do the impossible again on a shoestring?
Levy will blow smoke up the fans and Poch’s arse pretending it’s the former, but we all know deep down it’ll be the latter and in reality Levy will be looking for miracles again.

Levy will blow smoke up the fans and Poch’s arse pretending it’s the former, but we all know deep down it’ll be the latter and in reality Levy will be looking for miracles again.

Yeah it will definitely be that, but I think now that people see through Levy and will be sceptical of his decision to bring Poch back. A lot will depend how sky sports report it, we all know that a large proportion of fans can’t think for themselves and just hoover up whatever opinions they see on tv. If Sky report it positively (they won’t) then fans won’t see it as a PR exercise. I suspect they will report it on the angle that he’s being brought back to keep Kane. That way they can keep running that story and then use it as a stick to beat us with if Kane still goes.

Back
Top Bottom