Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is what annoys me about the whole 'bring Poch back' stuff. It's romantic. Look at Chelsea. They don't do romance. And they've just won the CL. Get Conte in and be shitty and shift the dead wood. Be cunts. I don't care. I'm sick of being fucking losers lads.

Okay I get this and so do the 17 who have so far ticked agree.

There is a middle ground. I don't want us to be glorious losers, nor do I want us to spend insane amounts to achieve success or see managers as expendable commodities, who deliver or fcuk off.

I would happily have taken an FA Cup, League Cup win or 2, given Leicester an even better chase and lost a couple of other finals in the last decade. We have been good enough between the sticks but fallen short between the ears.

But to look at Chelsea as a measuring stick, nah bo!!ocks to that.

WTF. Tuchel and Potter are nothing alike. Tuchel is a very pragmatic manager who likes to play a low block and hit teams on the counter. Potter likes to play through teams and this xg bs makes him look a better manager than he is.

Still trying to get my head around a potential Poch return.
I absolutely love the guy and acknowledge he worked unbelievable miracles with what he had before being shafted so brutally.

But the more I think about this the more it becomes apparent that this would be a lazy option for Levy. An option to merely deflect from his shortcomings and growing resentment within the fanbase.

This would be a lazy, cheap option with Levy pinning his hopes on the magic man re-polishing the putrid turds within the squad and rebuilding on loose change.

This kind of scenario would never play out at any other top club

I'm not against bringing Poch back at some point. I just don't think the timing is right. Mourinho went back to Chelsea after 6 years. Its been 18 months since Poch left. I dont see any meaningful change that has happened at the Club that makes me think it's going to end any different this time around.
And has there been meaningful change with Poch?

He played his part in our near misses and eventual decline too...

Just casually checked who's winning the poll - and I saw it's currently Poch, with 109 votes.

Then, my eyes were drawn magnetically to the total number of votes...

giphy.gif

Are we putting together a 3-4 year plan to have us competing at the top end of the table with the appropriate level of investment or are we bringing poch back hoping he can do the impossible again on a shoestring?
probably this. any manager would be expected to get to top 4 with minimal transfer $ outlay. and if a manager does end up doing that and win a trophy or two, he will get poached by the bigger clubs. it is going to be a short term project either way

It is delusional to assume Levy or Joe are going to dig into their personal savings to come up with a bumper transfer budget

Still trying to get my head around a potential Poch return.
I absolutely love the guy and acknowledge he worked unbelievable miracles with what he had before being shafted so brutally.

But the more I think about this the more it becomes apparent that this would be a lazy option for Levy. An option to merely deflect from his shortcomings and growing resentment within the fanbase.

This would be a lazy, cheap option with Levy pinning his hopes on the magic man re-polishing the putrid turds within the squad and rebuilding on loose change.

This kind of scenario would never play out at any other top club

If they were young enough and keen utd and scum would definitely rehire Ferguson and Wenger

We have four top tier players Kane Son Loris Bale
We have four very good players Ali PEH Reguilon Toby
Two young starlets Skip & Tang...

We don't have a manager
We are £250 million in debt. So we're relying on Guns & Gaga to do the business.

Had a bit of time to myself this morning so logged on the laptop and started up the most recent version of Football Manager I've got - FM2018

Thought I'd see about hiring Rangnick.

He wouldn't even come to the negotiating table cos he loves Woolwich.

Get him off this list right now! The Rangnick train has derailed spectacularly!

trainwreck satisfying GIF

Whoever the manager is, Levy has to reflect on his failings and change his ways otherwise we will continue our slide into irrelevance.

I think Poch coming back can work if Levy is honest about the mistakes he made in the 2 years before Poch got the sack. He has to accept that competing on the shoestring budget we had before is no longer possible. Assembling that squad with Lloris, Kane, Son, Dembele, Eriksen etc on the cheap was a miracle that can't be repeated. The only way to be competitive again is to spend. If he doesn't understand that now then there is no point bringing an expensive, experienced manager be it Conte, Poch or anyone else.

He also needs to understand that it's better to spend on young talent before they make the leap to the PL (and before our team goes stale) rather than panic and overpay like we did with Ndombele and Lo Celso. We could have spent half that £100m on Grealish and Maddison when we had the chance, and we'd be a much better team. Levy has to understand that dithering and penny-pinching over signing those young players has cost us far more in lost CL revenue than the £5m it would have taken to get them over the line.

Whoever the manager is, Levy has to reflect on his failings and change his ways otherwise we will continue our slide into irrelevance.

I think Poch coming back can work if Levy is honest about the mistakes he made in the 2 years before Poch got the sack. He has to accept that competing on the shoestring budget we had before is no longer possible. Assembling that squad with Lloris, Kane, Son, Dembele, Eriksen etc on the cheap was a miracle that can't be repeated. The only way to be competitive again is to spend. If he doesn't understand that now then there is no point bringing an expensive, experienced manager be it Conte, Poch or anyone else.

He also needs to understand that it's better to spend on young talent before they make the leap to the PL (and before our team goes stale) rather than panic and overpay like we did with Ndombele and Lo Celso. We could have spent half that £100m on Grealish and Maddison when we had the chance, and we'd be a much better team. Levy has to understand that dithering and penny-pinching over signing those young players has cost us far more in lost CL revenue than the £5m it would have taken to get them over the line.
Shoestring budget? We spent £100 million on new players last summer and £150 million largely on a new midfield of Lo Celso, Ndombele and Sessegnon the summer before.

Back
Top Bottom