Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Shoestring budget? We spent £100 million on new players last summer and £150 million largely on a new midfield of Lo Celso, Ndombele and Sessegnon the summer before.

We did not spend £100m on new players last summer. We spent £55m on Reguilon, Rodon and Doherty, swapped KWP for Hojbjerg, brought in Hart on a free and Bale and Vinicius on loan.

When I talk about the shoestring budget I'm talking about the Wembley years. It is not possible to assemble a squad of that quality for that money again. That was a one-off miracle. We barely had any players who cost more than £10m in our starting XI and we had one of the best teams in the league. Only after it went to shit did Levy panic and start trying to fix it by spending big (on players who have been mediocre so far) and then the pandemic hit.

We have bought players who haven't performed, it's as though Ndomble. GLC, Bergwijin etc are good with their ball skills but are incoherent and lack vision. None of them replace Erikson, none of them are better than Dele, I hope those three leave with Winks and Sissoko. It's why so often Kane and Son had to comeback and get the ball themselves and then tear down half the length of the field with it.

We aren't in the same financial league as Chelsea, not even close:
Screenshot-20210519-165507-Chrome.jpg

They spent 250m - more than we spent in the last 3 years - in the last window, and that was during a pandemic. And let's not even get started talking about our comparative wage bills.

But forget about Chelsea and City - those two are in a league of their own, maybe with United since they also have financial muscle. For me the one we should be looking is Liverpool, who aren't oil money either but have made astute decisions in the last few years.

The net spend isn't miles apart for the 2 clubs.
They spent a lot of money because they sold Hazard for over a hundred mil and had a transfer ban for a window don't forget

The big difference between Chelsea, United and Spurs is the owners for the former spend all their money on players and coaches, and our owners pissed it all away on a stadium and training ground.

United may be the goliath in terms of revenue income, Chelsea can't be miles ahead of us.
The days of being a sugar daddy have been over for a while for Abramovic.

The net spend isn't miles apart for the 2 clubs.
They spent a lot of money because they sold Hazard for over a hundred mil and had a transfer ban for a window don't forget

The big difference between Chelsea, United and Spurs is the owners for the former spend all their money on players and coaches, and our owners pissed it all away on a stadium and training ground.

United may be the goliath in terms of revenue income, Chelsea can't be miles ahead of us.
The days of being a sugar daddy have been over for a while for Abramovic.
Guns & Roses, Lady Gaga, etc, will pay for the new stadium. In the short term we need to sell about 6 players to buy 3 of better class. If we end up doing a deal part exchange with City for Jesus and £££ for Kane, then we need to upgrade the midfield even if it means our squad has less players in it, most of them are doing fk all useful anyway.

We did not spend £100m on new players last summer. We spent £55m on Reguilon, Rodon and Doherty, swapped KWP for Hojbjerg, brought in Hart on a free and Bale and Vinicius on loan.

When I talk about the shoestring budget I'm talking about the Wembley years. It is not possible to assemble a squad of that quality for that money again. That was a one-off miracle. We barely had any players who cost more than £10m in our starting XI and we had one of the best teams in the league. Only after it went to shit did Levy panic and start trying to fix it by spending big (on players who have been mediocre so far) and then the pandemic hit.
The Budget isn't out biggest problem.

Levy is. He wants to do everything his way. We could've had Grealish, Fernandes, Traore, across 2 seasons but Levy wanted to save a few pounds. Imagine what a midfield we would have had. Those 3 would probably be the most attacking midfield combination possible. But we lost them because of not being willing to pay the extra few million pounds. Yet, we went on to buy Lo Celso, Bergwjin and Ndombele for way more and it was perseived to be a Levy "Masterclass." Same with defence. Could've had Aarons for 20 but we settled for Doherty for 15 million. We could've sold Dier in the 25 million range and had a few CB last season in the 50 million range but we elected to convert Dier into a CB.

Unfortunately for Spurs Levy is always right. His gaffers, hired for a specific skill, knows nothing compared to him. He knows what's best for them. We will always be a "Small time, Big Club" as long as Levy is around.

Shoestring budget? We spent £100 million on new players last summer and £150 million largely on a new midfield of Lo Celso, Ndombele and Sessegnon the summer before.

Yep as I have said before, we had a period of transfer inactivity that was unforgivable but beyond that we are regularly spending, albeit Levy drags every ounce out of every deal.

Question the buys but not question that we buy.

Remember when the lying bald cunt said a new manager would be announced within a week? Probably trying to low ball someone as usual

We can’t buy any decent player before the manager arrives and after the Euros prices would be inflated - another season heading for shambles

ENIC OUT NOW!

The rot set in when the players we had were all put on massive basic salaries.
We went from young hungry players on decent wages but massive bonuses to fat cat wages for players that had won fuck all in their careers (Dele Dier Toby to name but 3).
the hunger has gone and we don't have that winning mentality a return to young hungry players is a must.

Still trying to get my head around a potential Poch return.
I absolutely love the guy and acknowledge he worked unbelievable miracles with what he had before being shafted so brutally.

But the more I think about this the more it becomes apparent that this would be a lazy option for Levy. An option to merely deflect from his shortcomings and growing resentment within the fanbase.

This would be a lazy, cheap option with Levy pinning his hopes on the magic man re-polishing the putrid turds within the squad and rebuilding on loose change.

This kind of scenario would never play out at any other top club
I’m torn as well Joan. Is it lazy or efficient? under poch we changed the development and youth ethos along with playing/training style to try and make the transition into the first team as seamless as possible. A new coach upsets all this and it’s a massive shift. Levy has said several times before that youth development is integral to the playing and business model so it makes sense to revert back to what is probably largely still in place.

I expect both poch and levy have learned from this experience, poch to be more ruthless and levy to listen and believe when he is being told something by an expert. I’ve never (in my time) seen a manager so vested and drain from his appointment.

whilst Jose was a mistake it probably proved what poch was saying about a rebuild was bang on the money. I personally love the bloke and am saddened how it came to an end. Managers will never be here forever but it just felt a unfinished.

regardless of what manager is signed we need a shakeup in the squad and our scouting needs to be improved. Without this, even pep would fail.

levy resigning poch is admitting he was wrong, it’s impossible to do that and then not support him going forward so I actually look at this as a positive shift. If we sign potter, ten or conte there is no reason to think anything will change. This is probably why I’m hoping for poch.

Yep as I have said before, we had a period of transfer inactivity that was unforgivable but beyond that we are regularly spending, albeit Levy drags every ounce out of every deal.

Question the buys but not question that we buy.
The reason Levy brought in Mourinho was to make better of the shit buys. Dele became the fall guy. It's now all blown up in Levy's face when he found out Mourinho isn't a magician.

We have bought players who haven't performed, it's as though Ndomble. GLC, Bergwijin etc are good with their ball skills but are incoherent and lack vision. None of them replace Erikson, none of them are better than Dele, I hope those three leave with Winks and Sissoko. It's why so often Kane and Son had to comeback and get the ball themselves and then tear down half the length of the field with it.

Okay, not commenting on Kane and Son because their stats suggest they get the necessary passes from somewhere.

Where I do agree in part is that too many of our players seem to underperform or as I prefer lack consistency at a high level. That started to be really apparent however under Pochettino and yet he still picked certain players too often.

So for me we have to have a manager who gets more out of our players but also who doesn't accept amd effectively reward dips in performance.

Okay, not commenting on Kane and Son because their stats suggest they get the necessary passes from somewhere.

Where I do agree in part is that too many of our players seem to underperform or as I prefer lack consistency at a high level. That started to be really apparent however under Pochettino and yet he still picked certain players too often.

So for me we have to have a manager who gets more out of our players but also who doesn't accept amd effectively reward dips in performance.
The answer to your first paragraph is usually either counter attacks or them harassing defenders and winning balls themselves.

Son was totally knackered and overworked.

The Budget isn't out biggest problem.

Levy is. He wants to do everything his way. We could've had Grealish, Fernandes, Traore, across 2 seasons but Levy wanted to save a few pounds. Imagine what a midfield we would have had. Those 3 would probably be the most attacking midfield combination possible. But we lost them because of not being willing to pay the extra few million pounds. Yet, we went on to buy Lo Celso, Bergwjin and Ndombele for way more and it was perseived to be a Levy "Masterclass." Same with defence. Could've had Aarons for 20 but we settled for Doherty for 15 million. We could've sold Dier in the 25 million range and had a few CB last season in the 50 million range but we elected to convert Dier into a CB.

Unfortunately for Spurs Levy is always right. His gaffers, hired for a specific skill, knows nothing compared to him. He knows what's best for them. We will always be a "Small time, Big Club" as long as Levy is around.
I’m actually happy enough we missed out on Bruno Fernandes. Flat track bully with suspect big game temperament.

I’m actually happy enough we missed out on Bruno Fernandes. Flat track bully with suspect big game temperament.

Not sure on that as yet but absolutely any assessment in my book that takes a player above and beyond is that in the tightest moments they rise above the line.

Most simply can't, very good players that they are but there are a select few who are just cometh that moment cometh that man.

The PL has just lost one in Aguero and even he could not make the CL difference and I'm not talking solely yesterday. In fact I struggle to see any in the PL at present.

As I say an elite group.

Many of Sonny's goals were created by Harry.

Back
Top Bottom